General discussion and table talk

What would he want for a season of instruction? Unfortunately, he's not a Gifted magus, so the promise of aid in the lab won't do. She has an Herbam vis source. Would he want vis for his instruction?

I come up with a total of 30 for Orion's InVi lab, also for Merinita I would not count faerie blood since it is in essence a prerequisite (that or faerie warping) to open a Merinita mage, so they presumably take that into account for a standard automatic opening.

Favor held for later is the bread and butter of a redcap, who needs magic when you can have those you can call in, vis is great but its not something other than currency for him, hes provided magical items for his duty and a master will produce his longevity pot.

I get his InVi LT as: 6 (In) + 8 (Vi) + 3 (Int) + 8 (MT) + 5 (Aura) + 9 (Familiar) = 39.

Good to know about Faerie Blood. I had been going on what was said in the Core Rulebook, which said that FB was a general ability. I hadn't realized that RoP: Faerie had changed that to make is Supernatural. :blush:

That's certainly a reasonable trade. Second Sight is damned useful. And getting it while she can is well worth it.

When would he be free to teach it? I'll have to delay opening the Arts until then. But I don't want to delay too long.

I could give up my winter plans for it.

That could work. And Orion could spend Autumn teaching Anastasia Magic Theory. Gotta get that season of teaching in!

Another thing came up as I was thinking forward to 1223. Orion wants to learn Leadershipe. And if I decide to go with Training, the two obvious choices for him to approach are the turb commander and the covenant autocrat. But that's not going to work. Romanos has no Leadership skill (which seems odd for the guy in charge of the entire grog side of the covenant), and Gabriel is really a faerie for whom Leadership isn't a teachable Ability. So, our two major leaders don't have any teachable Leadership skill. In other words, if anyone spent a season training with either of them while they lead the grogs, he'd learn nothing about Leadership.

The problem is not in the fact that the two of them can't teach Leadership (Iosef has Leadership 3, so at least he could teach/train it if we needed him to), it's in the explaining why Romanos and Gabriel can't. I can foresee a very odd conversation in which Romanos says that he never really learned how to lead anyone, and I have no clue how things would go in the conversation with Gabriel. They're both clearly very good at their jobs, each of which involves leading people. The Council might be curious to know why our best leaders can't teach Leadership.

As a secondary note, I would recommend that because of this, Christopheros put a book on Leadership high on his list of mundane books we'd like to obtain. Orion would prefer to learn from a book anyway, for a number of reasons. If it looks like Christopheros can pick one up in the near future, he might wait.

In any case, it just struck me as an odd situation that I thought I'd bring to people's attention, being as Leadership is a good skill to have, and one that a number of people might wish to learn.

I am not clear on when we decided we should cast the first Aegis. I think we agreed on Winter / Spring 1222? If so, I should take the roll for it.

According to silveroak, we could have cast the Aegis in Winter 1221. Presumably the debate we're having in Spring 1222 is with respect to the Aegis that would be cast in Winter 1222.

Okay: Base 30 (18 Rego, 3 Vim, 2 Stamina, 1 Artes Liberal, 1 Philosophae, 5 Aura) + 6 (roll) = 36 Aegis.

For teaching Anastasia the Animal Ken ability in Spring 1223, it looks to me like I impart 7 xp with either training or teaching. If I understand the rules, I can get 4 xp in practice in Animal Ken if I use training, and I can get 2 xp in either teaching or animal ken if I use teaching?

Regarding Leadership, Christophoros also has a score of 3, so he can teach it and/or scribe about it. Even a tractatus would be of fair quality.

But he can certainly try to find some books about it. Famous leaders like Julius Ceasar would be the obvious authors to look for.

I've always assumed that the meeting would decide what the Aegis would be. So this spring would be the start of it. Byt silveroak has hinted that it was initially cast in the winter. So I'd like to know as well.

No- the master may work at earning a living over the season, but it must be something the master can use to earn a living- this can be stretched for seasonal activities that don't strictly speaking earn a living (for example magic theory while training an apprentice in the lab), if it could be applied to animal ken it would still only gain you 2 exposure experience that season.

With training (if useable) you can give her 7 experience, with teaching you would impart com (-2)+3+6 (single student) for 7 xp as well, but could put the exposure experience into teaching.

Sounds like it makes sense to stick with teaching.

In Petre's case, perhaps the exposure xp could also go towards improving his language skills. He will spend a lot of time talking to Anastasia over the season, one would assume.

definitely, though spending free seasons studying the language will reap a lot more benefit (SQ:8)

Aureliano will teach Anastasia second sight in winter for a favor to be called in later.

Also will for Aureliano for Redcap duty seasons will i be able to claim practice for the area lore for running around or is it exposure, wanted to get that figured out.

I always figure redcap duty is like any other work in terms of experience (except the range of things you can have experience in, and the possibility of having an on-the-job adventure...)