General discussion and table talk

The previous tribunal was held at the Agean Phyle-at Ingasia, the most recent at Polyaigos.

I thought all the tribunal meetings were held at Delos?

Correct. TSE makes this clear almost right away in the chapter on politics and the tribunal meetings.

my mistake- I am looking at which tribunal is principle, but you are correct- the meeting is held at Delos.

Since we have one apprentice, a rules question that occurred to me may be relevant.
If a parens is working in his lab with his apprentice, can this count as "training" (for example in Magic Theory) in terms advancement for the apprentice? Or is it restrictive so that it can not count as training if the parens gets the assistance bonus?

If it does not count as training, I presume it would count as exposure (which is far less advancement). (I saw some posts where folks thought you could get both for the same season, which just seems wrong to me.)

Thanks.

It can count as training, but if it provides training experience the Magus does not get to add the assistance bonus to his lab total. Otherwise it gives exposure experience.

That shouldn't come up. I intend to spend one full season each year in teaching mode.

But it's good to have a clarification.

Thanks Silveroak. That seems fair.
If it worked the other way, it would give a substantial boost to the apprentice.

Generally having your student learn via lab exposure is both a disservice to you and to your apprentice, even a absolutely barebones teacher can crack out about 3-4 times the amount of learning in a season. On the other hand, you do have other magi who may offer teaching to your apprentice, or apprentice swapping/lending out are certainly options that give you both more bang for your mystical buck and free you up to either teach in earnest and get some good labwork in at the same time.

Sooo can someone explain to me exactly how the advancement post apprenticeship system works out, as i built my cap with 15 per year post grad, Just trying to figure what the options look like, also as a mythic red cap do i get a full free 4 years for fuddling or should i assume 2 for cap duties etc, difference between a strong/weak library as well.

What I was looking at was that from descriptions apprentices are expected to help their parens in the lab on season a year. This does not count as "teaching" as far as I can tell. However, if the parens allows it to be used for training rather than exposure the apprentice gets somewhere between 10 and 15 experience in Magic Theory. Getting that much every year for 15 years adds up. Even if you only get the 2 for exposure, that is an extra 20 xp. All of this is only relevant if you are actually playing through the apprenticeship. It clearly has no effect on the normal character setup rules. Those were clearly aimed at achieving a particular level of character, since what they typically achieve can only with difficulty be the result of apprenticeship. (For example, given the rules for teaching a single student, one season of teaching parma would grant between 9 and 15 experience. While the book requires that we start with 5.)

The minimum 5 thing is crazy because theres a dozen npcs who would by their own rules be putting out some of the most fucked up apprentices to ever walk a game table. Out of true lineages "There is nothing to say that a Hermetic magus can
not have more than one apprentice at a time. Legally, a parens is required to spent a season a year teaching his apprentice. The Arts can only be taught one on one" Putting any time you put on an apprentice is a premium, and if you trust your apprentice and covenant mates, I know my Bonisagus will feel no amount of issue teaching another apprentice for a season while you get in work for yourself if you want to work in on the lab or the like, though ive noticed teaching tends to pan out best when you work to your or their strengths over general studies.
The current Ars TT game our apprentices are doted upon, getting between 1-2, or 4 seasons of direct education, though the general system was usually, One season from the Parens, 1-2 free seasons of study, 1 for adventuring/labwork/or being taught by another covenant magi. Often they became sort of a commodity for freeing up the parens time to accomplish things.

I do like the idea of us cooperating in teaching apprentices. I am willing to help (particularly if I can come up with some way to use training rather than teaching, since I won't have an apprentice for a long time.)

I'm glad to hear such a positive discussion about apprentices. For my part, I was certainly planning on actively teaching at least one season a year, and letting her read summae (to the extent we have them and they're available), and perhaps using her in the lab one season. And really, there's no reason she can't be made available to the other magi of the covenant for those times when you need just a little boost to your lab total for a season. After all, she gets just as much exposure xp is she helps someone else in the lab for a season. So far as I'm concerned, if it's a season that she isn't being taught/doing free study, and one where I don't need the boost myself, anyone else is welcome to use her as an assistant. Just let me know. Right now she's only a +3 because of Int. But as soon as I give her one season of training (and a MT of 2), that'll jump to +5.

As for other magi helping to teach her, I'm all for that. I was already planning on offering services in exchange for training (LRs, seasons of helping out in the lab, etc.) to those more suited to teaching certain skills or arts. For example, I don't have a very good Herbam, and that's her big focus. It may be that Arthur's magus is a better person to teach her Herbam, In that case I'd be happy to help him out for a few seasons if it means freeing him up to teach her for a few seasons.

I like the idea of an apprentice as a kind of covenant sidekick or mascot. :slight_smile:

The odd thing with the teaching rules, as far as I can see, is that particularly for arts the skill of the teacher only matters for the limit onimprovement. It has no effect on how much is learned.

Training is mostly useful for putting an apprentice who doesn't speak a mutual language to work and for a single person, ie good for a cooper teaching a kid he picked up from Germany how to make barrels, he doesn't have to do much other than show and point. Training is sort of the thing you can do when you really don't have a better alternative, or your communications atrociously bad. It also tops out at 3+ the teachers skill in whats being taught, Minimum of 5 at this stage of the game likely 8-9 for most characters running around at the moment, (12 if we assume a pussiant and specialty applies)

Teaching however requires a common language and can be good with multiple people...we will take Jim the Bonisagus for instance, if he has a single student because of the focus on a single individual his minimum assuming he doesn't have negatives for that one student is a 9 before adding teaching and com...which seriously out performs training, throw on a dot of teaching with an applicable spec you are looking at 11 before adding communication. Where teaching however really out performs training is the fact, Jim can have two students and hes still looking at about 8 per student...or if we want to be bastardly Jims going to teach the turb and that's his specialty, you can knock out training about 10 folks for the max of your teaching score we will give it a 5, not terribly impressive but it still twice as good as exposure for two seasons for ten damn people.

Now mind you that's just a basic turn between the two, teaching is almost always better unless you just don't know the damn thing you want to teach in the first place, or don't have the time, then we bow our head to the convenience of Summae and Tracticus, which is generally good for pretty decent, especially if you suck at it and your apprentice is good at something you are not.

After my bonisagus polishes his skills a little, I pretty much plan on continually having 1 to 2 apprentices at all times to continue the foundation and expansion of the hermetic art. Further more im not against fostering apprentices, and in a communal mentality its almost a graciousness that when a magus is putting together his longevity ritual to grant him every available apprentice up to his ability to take them to aid the task considering it aids to the longevity of not just the magi but the covenant and breeds goodwill. At current Omphalos is pretty good teacher for any of the techs and his favored forms are Aurum, Corpus and Aquam.

Good to hear. Orien stinks at Aurum.

Yeah its his big specialty, ideally he hopes to be able to control the weather wholesale around the covenant for our benefit.

Well he's Zeus-blooded. I'm Poseidon-blooded. :slight_smile: