General Table Talk

Yup, I’m well home from my trip to the Netherlands, Belgium and a tiny bit of France. Saw and did most of what I had planned, was pleasantly surprised by much of it. We did not have time to visit the castle Gravensteen museum in Ghent, that’ll have to wait until next time. And the Sint Sixtus Abdij only had the #12 ale for sale, but I still have a stash from 2 years ago.
Now I still have the rest of the week off before I go back to work, I only took two weeks. Tonight we play GURPS Clifhangers, and this Saturday is Ars Magica.

1 Like

I will get Ikelos back into the action.

My kids are going back to school and it has caused some stress with the knowledge of our coming hard quarantine is now a when rather than a if. Part of my job is to plan for various risks so it is hard wired into me to churn through these thoughts and make plans. I now have achieved the Bushido/Zen of COVID-19 and have accepted that I will get it or at least our house will be quarantined because of a school outbreak.

At least our school district is mandating masks so I am hoping that the outbreak happens in Late September or October :nauseated_face:

Homeschooling. It is disturbingly easy to qualify and pass muster for homeschooling in America. But even at the worst, a year behind school is better that dead or being crippled for life (a side effect of surviving covid that is not often mentioned).

This is insanity. But on the bright side I have massively expanded my RPG collection and learned how to run a D&D game using Roll20. I almost wanna try this game on Roll20. But it would not work with the international global nature of our troupe. And the ultra slow burn of PbP actually contributes to both the longevity and exceptional detail. I might be willing to run a self contained high drama/action sequence that way if you guys wanna try it out/

I am fortunate that our local school system is offering at home learning through the public school system (also that we have a decent public school system in my city- though that was more planning than luck), I was worried about trying to find a home schooling system where I would trust the science curriculum compared to how may home schoolers historically kept their children out of school for religious reasons.

COVID is on the rise again here in Denmark, at least in some parts. But for now it's just masks in public transport, plus recommended in shops. Schools and workplaces aren't being closed down again.

But back when it started in spring we were all sent home. I worked form home, but my wife is in retail so she was just on leave. So she had to bear the brunt of home schooling, and deal with unmotivated children who suddenly couldn't remember the alphabet. Schools were ready with online assignments fairly quickly for the 4th grader, less so for the 1st grader. We had made our own teaching plans by then and just incorporated the other material. But for now things are (relatively) normal. Danish schools just started yesterday after the summer holidays.
And today I got a message from the blood bank, they want my plasma. But I hadn't thought in advance than my small trip down south meant a 14 day quarantine from donating. Next week then.

While browsing through the library, Vibria shudders and looks at Vocis. "Did you just feel a chill run down your spine?"

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, things have been a bit busy for the last few days. I should be able to post within a day or three.

no worries :slight_smile:

So, our city just implemented mandatory masking in the town center.
Luckily, the worst of summer is behind us. The sun is trying to kill me.
Still... Social distancing, it leaves a toll on relationships. And I'm kinda used to it, and I see people, so I worry about elders.

Anyway, I want to go back to the spider. I like to have her in my headspace. Sadly, I have little time for this.
At some point, I thought of a discussion between Eva and another kid from the covenant, in which we saw her relationship with the old witch through her eyes, it was fun, but I couldn't write it down (thinking while walking). And I forgot the geist of it.

And she needs to get rid of valten. She won't rest easy until then.

1 Like

How about a slow burn story about Arachne versus Valten?

1 Like

Well, we had a plan to lure him at val-negra, and I had a plan to trap him, but I forgot everything :smiley:
So this'd need discussing again, at least.

Truth is, I don't even remember if he acted on his own or not, which sucks. Arachne wouldn't rest easy knowing she took care of the tool, not the hand.

So what do I remember? Valten, a verditius, send everyone into twilight. Yeah me! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I remember though, and I know the answers to questions never asked.

Completely unrelated to the previous discussion:

How's everybody doing?
How was your weekend?

Now, I live en Denmark, a small and quiet country, and things are...quiet. COVID is still a thing, but after localized rises in numbers, we're back down. We need to use masks in public transport, and a lot of events are called off due to size. Otherwise it's just distancing, hand sanitizer, and stay home if you have any symptoms. Schools are open, as are shops and other workplaces. While the economy has suffered, and people lost jobs, it could have been worse. My own line of work has been virtually untouched, and we seem to be busy enough, too busy sometimes it seems.

This weenend I spend two consequetive days in Legoland - the real, original one in Billund - with my family and my mother in law, staying the night in a Ninjago-themed cabin. The weather was mostly good, but with periodic showers. Unfortunately I has to miss playing Ars Magica in my Rhine saga, because I had forgotten about the trip and was double booked. It was originally set in may, but COVID postponed it. The group played anyway, and I ned to get an update. My own maga was stuck in Norway anyway, looking for signs of Order of Odin.

Autumn is starting to set in here, night/morning temperatures may be as low as 6C/42F and usually no more than 18C/64F during the day. It's time to harvest the meager spoils from the kitchen garden, none of the leeks, kophlrabi, and schneibohnen are too imporessive. Got a lot of onions though, as well as courgettes - some of which are about the size of Graf Zeppelin. Now I just need to make up some way of cooking them.

How about you all?

Still out of work. The unemployment stopped a month ago. And my nation is on the verge of a bloody civil war.

Good times! :smiley:

Crap. How are you doing, money-wise?
The news in the US are dreaful, I'm worried about what will happen should trumpolini lose the elections. He's already dropped enough hints that it may go badly.
Even if things go smoothly, I

On my side, I was stupid enough to go to the theater the other day.

I thought there wouldn't be many people, yet it was reasonnably crowed :frowning:

Supposedly, everyone must wear a mask and keep it, as well as distances. By law, masks are required at all time in workplaces and enclosed public spaces.
Well, most people entered the room with their masks on, and that's about it.
It was quite frightening.

Later, going back home, I heard music from an outdoor show. I went to hear some of the music from afar. All these people, most of them crowed before the scene, not a mask in sight. I didn't linger.

Bloody people.

Me and my family are doing well so far. No one got sick, but you can feel that tempers are short.

We had a breakout in Quebec City (Quebec, Canada), where I live, with about 50 cases detected so far, due to some idiots thinking that it's ok to go out and party at multiple bars while waiting for their test results. Including karaoke bars. :roll_eyes:

We look at all the trouble going on in the U.S.A. and worry for our many friends out there. You are our closest neighbours, and we usually feel repercussions for what you do - culturally, politically and of course with the economy as well. Some people here try to apply the same ideas that you do, whatever they are (from far right to far left) and whether they fit or not to our culture and history.

For example, we never had they level of systematic racism (though we've had and still have our own share of discrimination) that there was south of the border, but now people are throwing down monuments based on that. Humanity seems bent on erasing their past instead of trying to learn from it. Sigh.

I have income from investments, so financially things have been fine. On the other hand my son is convinced that my ex wife is trying to get him infected with coronavirus so he will carry it to me and kill me, as she apparently believes she and the kids are immune and I am vulnerable.

The money is at an end. The Fed bonus ran out in July and my state unemployment benefits are almost empty. I did pay down many debts while the Fed benefits were flowing. I did spend a lot of money on gaming books. When greenbacks inflate to worthless, I can sell them on e-bay for blue backs.
:smiley:
But in all seriousness, I have no idea what happens next. I am a low wage worker with no formal education. And I am fifty. I do not want to go back to the ktchens and I think all restaurants should stay closed until there is a vaccine.

I suspect they will have low demand even afterwards. When there is a vaccine people will probably celebrate and there will be a spat of people gong out to eat, but the fact is people have gotten used to eating at home again, and while the economy is in recovery aren't likely to make frequent meals out a priority.
I'd suggest enrolling in some online job training, preferably something where you can get aid or financing that can help you survive while you are in school...