General Table Talk

Give me a roll of 2d6

the roll was 8

No worries then
I had a magic number in my head. I have been studying statistical probabilities of dice curves :slight_smile:

I got Lucia and Epona advanced for the The Troglodytae story. They're both...older than I remembered. Lucia will start making aging rolls in a couple of years, and Epona made her first one this past winter (and didn't do so well on it).

It also turns out that their son, Mayhew, is ten now, in case anyone has any ideas of what to do with him. (I have literally nothing about him except the fact that he exists.)

We all are :laughing:

Mayhew is Artur's future shield grog?

There are matters for Vibria to attend to in the Dragon Ascending thread. You may or may not want to get involved in that, but either way it can be spun into a story involving a few others.

After he enchant his first item in Spring 1246, would the covenant be interested in Marcellus enchating a number of charged items (copies of the Spear of Roland) as a anti-drake and anti-owlbear defense (or any other wild animal)? Marcellus could spend a season crafting 10 charges (probably in 10 spearheads each with 1 charge), provided he receives suitable compensation for his time.

Based on what is stated in HoH:MC p.114, he should charge 4 pawns of vis (twice what he can extract, with his CrVi lab total being exactly 20 at the moment) for a season enchanting charged items.

This is a short-term bargain, since as soon as he improves his CrVi lab total the price will rise to 6 pawns per season. :wink:

1 Like

As she gets older, Arachné leaves her laboratory less and less*, and, when she does, she wears a dark, spiky helm/mask to conceal her features.
This makes a stark contrast to Eva, her young servant, who spends more and more time outside of it, whether to study or to wander the covenant, curious about everything, talking to everyone.
People can't tell whether this is because she flees the Spider, or spies for her. Whatever the answer, two things are sure: The old crone is no good for Andorra, and Eva is too good for the Spider.

But when Marcellus brings his proposal to the council, he shakes the maga from her thoughts.
I can't say I am not pleased to see someone finally showing some interest for this covenant's defences, tainted by greed as it is. I fully support this proposal.

_* At least, that's what it seems. But some grogs are convinced she wanders the covenant under some disguise, or invisible, and are using this tale to frighten their kids into compliance.

PS: Arachné, I've missed you! :smiley:

1 Like

Also, some time after the Wild Kingdom story (Summer 1245), Marcellus will ask to join the covenant as a journeyman.

1 Like

I moved all the pledges to Journeyman and all the Jurbeymen to Masters

“When” are we in the timeline?
The Woad is a young magus, and his immediate concerns is study of magic, as well as becoming more acquainted with the local area and -language.

1 Like

Anyone who wants to speak for or against Marcellus' offer (to enchant charged items for defense against wild animals)? How many does it take for the offer to be accepted?

1 Like

Fleur speaks up "I don't believe spending vis for charged items is a wise investment of covenant resources, donna could make equal or better weapons without the vis usage"

1 Like

Marcellus is curious about what he considers a rather extravagant claim, "Really? Would her weapons be assured of incapacitating a drake or owlbear with a single strike? Make ten such weapons in a single season, so that a whole squad be so armed, should the need arise?"

1 Like

Also looking to see if someone is interested in running a short story for me:

1 Like

Vibria purses her lips thoughtfully as she ponders the proposition. "I can see the use in the items, when we have to deal with creatures where all our other weapons come up short. So long as they're not used against my kin, I see no problem."

Guiverna, for her part, gazes idly at Marcellus as he makes his presentation, a playful smile on her face. She doesn't offer any argument or probe deeply into the mechanics or the pricing, listening to the other members make their points before voting "aye".

1 Like

We could just pay him silver and he could buy the Vis. Donna would still incur an expense of resources. Would it be greater or less than the cost of the vis?
AND...
Using one character to set up jobs for another character seems like a conflict of interest. Why would Fleur care more about Donna's profit than her fellow Magus?

Fleur has two objections, though she is only giving voice to one-

1. non-permanent items should be a service towards improving his status in the covenant, not something he gets paid for by the covenant. Donna is a convenient counter-example on this point. Donna cannot actually create charged items, just wonderous items which will only work for the person they are crafted for, but her mundane items are of high enough quality to compete, and repeatedly with what his charged items can do once.
  2. He agreed to come on the expedition then blew her off presumably for what she perceives as a low value project. Obviously she isn't going to come out and say this.

as a player I think he should do the charged items, though probably not at full price, for the covenant, in part to develop a lab text for them to get better production in the future, but Fleur is miffed and wants to raise objections.

1 Like

"I have not kep exact track of the current quality of Donna's work, I have seen her knives which transform on command into swords, and seen her mundane swords deal more damage than many magical specimens, and do so repeatedly. What is more her weapons continue to work at these levels after repeated usage. I realize that Verditius can exceed her capabilities, but these charged items are not the epitome of Verditius enchantments that offer such competition."

Actually, she asked him to explore a cave "in the mountains nearby", which then was revelead to be on Ibiza, an island many many miles away. By boat, which is something Marcellus has an aversion to. That is why he changed his mind - firstly because her initial statement about the cave being near was untrue, and secondly having to travel several days (by boat) to get there.

So, as a player, don't be surprised that he found an excuse not to go. Some characters don't like being lied to.