General Table Talk

“When” are we in the timeline?
The Woad is a young magus, and his immediate concerns is study of magic, as well as becoming more acquainted with the local area and -language.

1 Like

Anyone who wants to speak for or against Marcellus' offer (to enchant charged items for defense against wild animals)? How many does it take for the offer to be accepted?

1 Like

Fleur speaks up "I don't believe spending vis for charged items is a wise investment of covenant resources, donna could make equal or better weapons without the vis usage"

1 Like

Marcellus is curious about what he considers a rather extravagant claim, "Really? Would her weapons be assured of incapacitating a drake or owlbear with a single strike? Make ten such weapons in a single season, so that a whole squad be so armed, should the need arise?"

1 Like

Also looking to see if someone is interested in running a short story for me:

1 Like

Vibria purses her lips thoughtfully as she ponders the proposition. "I can see the use in the items, when we have to deal with creatures where all our other weapons come up short. So long as they're not used against my kin, I see no problem."

Guiverna, for her part, gazes idly at Marcellus as he makes his presentation, a playful smile on her face. She doesn't offer any argument or probe deeply into the mechanics or the pricing, listening to the other members make their points before voting "aye".

1 Like

We could just pay him silver and he could buy the Vis. Donna would still incur an expense of resources. Would it be greater or less than the cost of the vis?
AND...
Using one character to set up jobs for another character seems like a conflict of interest. Why would Fleur care more about Donna's profit than her fellow Magus?

Fleur has two objections, though she is only giving voice to one-

1. non-permanent items should be a service towards improving his status in the covenant, not something he gets paid for by the covenant. Donna is a convenient counter-example on this point. Donna cannot actually create charged items, just wonderous items which will only work for the person they are crafted for, but her mundane items are of high enough quality to compete, and repeatedly with what his charged items can do once.
  2. He agreed to come on the expedition then blew her off presumably for what she perceives as a low value project. Obviously she isn't going to come out and say this.

as a player I think he should do the charged items, though probably not at full price, for the covenant, in part to develop a lab text for them to get better production in the future, but Fleur is miffed and wants to raise objections.

1 Like

"I have not kep exact track of the current quality of Donna's work, I have seen her knives which transform on command into swords, and seen her mundane swords deal more damage than many magical specimens, and do so repeatedly. What is more her weapons continue to work at these levels after repeated usage. I realize that Verditius can exceed her capabilities, but these charged items are not the epitome of Verditius enchantments that offer such competition."

Actually, she asked him to explore a cave "in the mountains nearby", which then was revelead to be on Ibiza, an island many many miles away. By boat, which is something Marcellus has an aversion to. That is why he changed his mind - firstly because her initial statement about the cave being near was untrue, and secondly having to travel several days (by boat) to get there.

So, as a player, don't be surprised that he found an excuse not to go. Some characters don't like being lied to.

nearby is not an objective measurement- from Mallorca it is nearby (1 days travel) and she had no idea he was averse to boats. It's not like she was asking him to go to Africa or the Levant or Norway...

FYI I'm not overly surprised he found an excuse not to go (even less so now that I know about the boat aversion), but IC Fleur is a bit more miffed about it.

Marcellus shrugs, "I never claimed the spears were the epitome of Verditius magic, only that they may be useful to the covenant in some circumstances. They are not priced as the epitome of Verditius items either, just at fair value for the time invested. I do not set such price, it is established by my House. But if the covenant is not interested, just say so. I just thought I would make the offer."

You had no way to know, as he only expressed it to one other person (Lucas). And it isn't to the level of a flaw or even a personality trait.

As you say, "nearby" is subjective. To him, leaving the Pyrenees is not nearby. But then, he is a recently Gauntleted young magus with no magical transportation capability.

As for the spear heads, he's just offering something he can do. He's been told by several magi of Andorra that even small enchatments would be welcome. Being blown off like that during a council meeting is at odd to what he was told previously. He has asked other magi repeatedly for what they may be interested in him making. Only Vocis made a suggestion, but it is currently out of his capabilities. So he is now reaching out and offering, only to get disparaged publicly by Fleur.

Just as you, I am describing his thought process so the the players can see things from his point of view.

"The covenant does like to see contributions from its younger members and applicants on behalf of the covenant, surely your house does not object to you volunteering such resources, especially ones which can be made without vis, for the good of your covenant."

My suggestion is that you do not get so wrapped up in roleplaying that you disrupt the flow of the game for yourself or another player. This is not high art. We are not writing a novel. This is a game, and is not something to take seriously or obsess about. Not that I am saying anyone does that. Though we all do it to some extent, myself especially.
No one is paying as much attention to your character as you are, each of you/us as individuals. You should pay attention to your Flaws only in so much as the serve the needs of the game. If it gets in the way, we hand-wave at it. Rulings over Rules. To adhere to a quirk that is NOT a Flaw, especially if only one other player (who is no longer in the game) ever knew about it, that is tantamount to roleplaying terrorism. If you, as a player, want to play the game, you need to be proactive and take the story opportunities as they are presented. We kind of owe that to each other as fellow players in a social contract. And realistically, if you opt out of a story, you may have to wait several months for that story to finish before you can get the story you want. And those who did participate are likely going to get jumped ahead in line.

The Role-Play Terrorist

The dislike for sea travel was only a very small part of my decision not to take part in that story. We just finished a rather long story where I took a very large part (larger than anticipated), so I felt other players should have their time. There seemed to be plenty of interest in the story and, IMHO, too many players in a PbP story tends to bog things down.

It was definitively not an attempt at roleplaying terrorism.

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

1247 is great, means I get to advance the spider :heart:

Which is why the spider spoke of greed.
Yet, to her, the defence of the covenant is more important, so long as the price is fair.

But, well, to tell the truth, if she had her way, everyone would spend a season of service to strengthen the covenant every x years, herself included :sweat_smile:
And I mean by that a "wasted" season (exposure xp only), not one player doing an enchantment while another gains adventure XP. :sweat:
A milder view would be "If you want your vis allotment, do your service, otherwise, you get nothing but are still welcome to stay"

She is conscious that not everyone shares her views, so encouraging initiative in her fellow magi is the next best thing, even if they must be paid for this.

Hum... I would do something, but I'm utterly ignorant about Marcellus, and am entering the endyear madness, which mean I may drop out at any time :frowning:
Yet, if no one wants to and you're still interested, I may try to think of something. Just be warned it may take ages until it's resolved.

@Marko_Markoko
I wrote the beginning or arachné's brainstorm about Walten. Would you be so kind as to open a topic for this?
Goal is:
Let her write up her plans, with other players, if they want, using Eva to give ideas.
Once this is done, you kinda play walten reacting to this.

I don't expect or want this to take a long time or be particularly epic or such, but it's very important for Arachné to get this done. Not only does she wants to avenge her friends, she wants to eliminate a potential threat to her covenant.

If you are interested in running a story for me, I can provide you with a quick overview of Marcellus (background, capabilities, interests and goals). Is doesn't need to be a very complex or elaborate story. Something episodic (à la Star Trek: TOS) would be ideal, as it would not prevent me from evolving him forward in time even as we run the story to its conclusion.

As for it taking "ages" before it is resolved, I would not worry about that too much. What's a few months? :grin: