General Table Talk

At the mention of the heffalump, it makes me think of a folk song, The Treasure of Nonsense from The New Christy Minstrels.

I went hunt the Heffalump in the land of Wildesmere,
And if you do not know the place I'll tell you where it's near.
It's not too close to Friegglestown and farther still from Glaff,
But you'll know you're near to Wildesmere when you hear the heffalump snarl.

Oh, The heffalump is fourteen feet when measured ear to ear,
and though he has but three of them he rightly cannot hear.
His nose is green; his eye is red; his tail is turquoise blue.

And may I be a bingle of my story isn't true!

What - no mention of woozles?

Any chance I can get a list of the Companions that we have? I've got a concept for one, but I don't want to duplicate something that's already out there. And with the number of threads and such that already exist for this saga, I might get a bit lost trying to compile a correct list.

Thanks!

The wiki has a listing, there are only a few current ones, from what I could tell.
andorra.wikidot.com/companions

Shame on me for not checking there. Bad Scarecrow!

There's also two Redcaps, but they're listed under "magi."

Ah Ah Ah!
Love it.

I'd let him catch all sort of disease, and pass them around, while recovering swiftly with CrCo and hiding symptoms/compensating. Much more fun IMO than him being (mostly) immune to disease.

You might want to take unseen porter at sight range, mastered for no sight or gestures (or with the appropriate virtue), to pick things up without moving or stressing yourself :wink:

Oooh, he could use Unseen Porter to animate a Baron Harkonnen style floaty-chair.

Thanks. I keep sitting down to write his background and finding ways to not do it. Hopefully this weekend...

I'm leaning toward saving Fragile Constitution as a Mystery-offsetting flaw. One of my long-term goals for this guy is to get involved with Philosophic Alchemy as an alternative to Hermetic longevity, probably through Islamic connections. I don't think historical alchemy has really reached Europe yet.

He's not quite that bad (yet), but he has Unseen Porter and will make liberal use of it. :slight_smile:

Apropos of nothing, but apparently Ars Magica doesn't have a mechanic for being exhausted during/after combat unless you burn Fatigue for bonuses. (Lords of Men doesn't count.)

This is true, but there is always manual adjustment. In my opinion, this is why book RPGs shall always be superior to computer RPGs.

And now for a subject completely different...
You are all used to my schedual by now, little to no posting on the weekends, heavy on Sunday/Monday. We have a new player and an old player so old he is new again, who may not be aware of this. I work a nightclub job as a chef.

Anyway, next week I plan to roll out proposals and ideas for the crunch form of this chapterhouse, get things set up, and maybe start some free-form until everyone is set and ready.

My schedule: I am a desk jockey for a large insurance company. And I have the luxury of working from home, which means I'm on all day M-F, from about 7 am - 4 pm pacific time. Nights and weekends are hit and miss.

I'm a computer nerd with erratic sleeping patterns, which means I post whenever!

M-F 10AM-10PM aprox (Greenwich time)
Weekends, from all day to no connection at all.

I'm usually from about 6:30 PM to about 10:30 or 11:00 Central US time, and most of the day on weekends. I work every other Saturday, and the weeks I work Saturday, I have a random mid-week day off (Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday). Having no car and no life means I'm usually home when I'm not working.

I looked at the languiages you list. I have some comments. I am FAR from an expert, but I found some stuyff that (unles they lied to me BIG TIME at school) seem to be wrong. Here comes an alternative classification.

Romance Languages

• Occitan (Langue d’Oc) (Catalan, Provencal, Lanuedocian, Navarro-Aragonese)
  • Spanish (Astur-leonese, Castilian)
  • Galaico-Portuguese (local dialects)
  • Langue d’Oeil (Orleanais, Bourguignon, Poitevin)
  • Mozarab (Latinus dialects)
  • Ladino (various cities)
  • Latin (Classical, Hermetic, Ecclesiastic)

Langue d’Oc is NOT French AT ALL. It is an Occitan language (langue d’Oc stands for “language of OCcitaine, after all) that shares more similarities with Catalan and Aragonese than with the Langue d’Oeil in the north. Oc and "Oeil" are the word for "Yes" in the 2 languages. You can still see the similarity between "Oeil" and "Oui" :slight_smile:

Catalan is one of the many languages in the Occitan family. It does not deserve a special treatment at this time. It is one of the more similar ones to Occitan nowadays, but we are talking 7 centuries later than the time period we play in :slight_smile: I can read it with difficulty, for example.

Navarro-Aragonese is a Romance language with a strong subtract of Basque. I dumped it in the Occitan languages, but it is the one I am less sure about and could deserve a specific Language category for itself. I can understand Aragonese, but we are talking XXI century here, so I am not sure this is a reasonable assumption at all.

Astur-Leonese and Castilian are 2 related, but different languages. In the south of LeĂłn Castillian imposed itself fairly fast (repopulation progroms), but in the more mountainous regions of the north the Asturian dialect (asturianu) had a much longer life. It is still talked in Asturias, after all :slight_smile: To simplify I have added them together, but it is debateable that this is correct at all.

Galician and Portuguese are the same language at the time period.

There is a great map in Wikipedia about this

I'm on the road for work all but two weekends a month. When I'm on the road I'm online every night (Eastern time) and virtually all weekend. The weekends I'm at home I'm rarely online.

And, if anyone's interested, Vibria's Gauntlet is finished. 2,508 words in all. [size=50]and took way longer than it had any right to.[/size]

This is the first I've been able to use the forums since yesterday. The main forum page looked fine but all the subforums were spam pages. Was that just me or did that happen to anyone else?

Probably just you. Some kind of malware that redirects URL requests to their own pages. The main page you were seeing was probably cached.