General Table Talk

I love it, but yes, this fits more Daern than Vulcanus.

I shall have to pick it up where I left it, one day...

This'd be useful, but since Arachné will be able to serve as such, he'd better keep this for later and concentrate on things only him can do. IMO.

Also, for your Tower idea, I'd really advise you to use my "simple advancment rule" for vulcanus: Whatever he does, consider that his lab total improves, as an average, by 1 since 1230, 2 if within his focus. This is simple to compute, you don't have to record anything, and it shows him getting better.
That way, if doing this in 1235, he'd gain 5 points to his lab total, making the tower more manageable.

Thing is, this is contradicted by Curse of the Desert (PeAq – Co), and another spell whose name I can’t recall.
We should probably submit this to the line editor.

Nooooo! Arachné wanted a slice of him, too. Now, you’ve got her conflicted :laughing:

Mine too :smiley:

In my digital version of the book that spell and Parching Wind both state you need casting requisites to affect other forms. Check the errata if your book doesn't mention requisites.

Exactly. That's what I wrote above :unamused:

Yet, taking the sentence you've quoted, they shouldn't be PeAq spells, but Corpus/Animal/Whatever spells. At the very least, if one wants to be literal, Curse of the Desert shouldn't work on humans, since it is an Aquam spell, not a Corpus one.

So the contradiction, if I understand is that it's an Aquam spell with Corpus requisites, which the beginning of the Aquam section says should be Corpus.

I think the real point is that whatever spell invented needs to be ReCo(Aq) or Re(Aq)Co. I'm not too concerned about the contradiction of the canonical spells because at least they are paying attention to the need for requisites.

Exactly.

Mind you, I think it works best as written, on on fronts, and that it would probably be best if that sentence was just changed into something akin to "To affect liquids within something, you need requisites of that form"

The point is moot, since I am going with the Muto Corpus spell :slight_smile:
But my opinion is that it should e a Casting Requisite. PeAq to dehydrate, ReAq to bind hydration, then a casting requisite of Corpus or Animal or whatever Form the suject being dehydrated/preserved falls under. Aquam is the thing being targeted, the Form Requisite is what allows you to target it.

Roberto can churn out a lot of carged items in a season, but not many Lesser Enchantments. I crunched some numbers, imagining a ring that provided heat & fire protection. Level 26. twice a day no trigger. Lab Total 52. I could crank out one normally, two with an effect expiry of 77 years, five with an expiry of 7 years, and ten with an expiry of 1 year. And I was thinking a year would be plenty of time :smiley: But Roberto's Magic Theory of 5 mans he can only handle enough vis for 3 of them per season.
But this Camel Ring thing, if I can keep the final level under 10, costing one pawn each, I can crank out many more. LT 32, level 9 actually (base 5 as spell, +3 env trig, +1 two uses per day), expiry of seven years, equals an excess of 115, meaning with his vis limit, I can make ten seven year camel rings in a season and can handle the vis requirement.
I can still fiddle with it. I am thinking :wink:
So that is one season teaching Vibria, one season inventing the MuCo spell and maybe some others, one season making one or more enchanted devices.
I would like to take the fourth season for myself. A season of on-on-one training with Fousto the Swordmaster.

In theory you could use ReAq to convert sweat to drinking water, which would certainly help... and no Co requisite.

I like the idea of Fleur having to recruit her own staff, but don't want the expenses to already be consumed (though not yet allocated due to the rush to get her placed would certainly be possible...) should I go ahead and take the "no staff" flaw with the understanding it will be bought off with stories?

Well, now that you mention a member of his ancestral lineage, maybe he might go for the idea after all. Perhaps he runs accross some old lab texts in that book of his we never defined?

Shall do. His idea was similar to yours though, high level, efficient, but causes warping.

Actually, Ryu had updated Vulcanus all the way through the current date. So I'm just going with that for now.

Then I will make it simple. Carmen and her team head into Cairo for some recon while the rest heads for Pyramids II. The plan was to meet upthere, but something (yet unknown) messes the plan up. You are faced with the conflicting choice, but move on to the CoB. When (if) you return, you meet up with Carmen and finish this guy off.
Or whatever else works. The main idea is to pull Carmen out of the CoB so that player characters can shine.

Then so shall it be. In one season he can invent that, Eyes of the Cat, and one more minor benefit type spell. The next season he can crank out five constant effect camel rings with a 77 year expiry. Then a season teaching Vibria, and (hopefully :slight_smile: ) a season being taught by Fausto.

Scrap that. I am looking at the Trained Group rules. There are rules in Grogs and Lords of Men that deal with accelerated training time. But best not to risk it.
Revised Scedual

• First Season-Teach Vibria
  • Second Season-Invent Spell
  • Third Season-Crank out Camel Rings
  • Fourth Season-organize the fighting folk and train as a Group

Would that be a Casting Requisite (p. 115) or a Spell Requisite? It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it adds up when you're inventing the spell. For example, Curse of the Desert (p. 123) has no Spell Requisites, as it's invented purely with Perdo Aquam, but it has a Corpus or Animal casting requisite depending on the target. I suppose if you cast it on a tree, it would have a Herbam casting requisite, as well. (Teach those Ents to follow us into the Sahara.)

Not sure what his lab score is, but we have a lab text for Eyes of the Housecats, which is a level 20 version of Eyes of the Cat with Group target.

Perfectly fine!
I don't want Arachné to have too much light anyway.

For this reason, I'd go with a Casting Requisite.
I wanted to write to David Chart to point the contradiction, but I forgot :frowning:

I would call it a Casting Requisite.
For Endurance of the Camel, Animal is a Spell Requisite, just like Eye's of the Cat. Which messes me up :blush:
My MuCo LT is 31, but toss Animal in and it drops to 29.
The whole point is the Camel spell, I can pull that off easy. I was hoping to squeeze in two more original inventions. I still can, Camel Spell, EotC, and a 4th level personal range minor ability type spell.
It isn't about EotC, that's just gravy. It is about the Camel spell. Maybe make it 10th level with a Duration of Moon? Forget making rings. Just cast it once each on everyone before we enter the wasteland, and we should be good to go.

So, Acutus has a 24 MuCo/An before factoring in lab bonuses. So if he meets Pere in Spring of 1234 and joins the covenant then, he might be able to make the EoTC rings. I'd have to work out the math and actually build his lab now :stuck_out_tongue:

I have this image of breasts growing and shrinking for water storage...

Hey there!

I posted over in GMs seeking Players, and Marko graciously told me to come on in. I'm about to go on holiday for a week, but I'll get to tying down a character as soon as I get back.

I've got two possibilities in mind at the moment, depending on what takes the troupe's fancy - I cant decide between them! Note that I'm intending to go for just past gauntlet, mostly due to my own inexperience.

One would be a Jerbiton, potentially under the Protection of a landed noble, and the complete opposite of your own Pere Vilaro - they would treat fairly with mundanes, and try to promote good relations between the Order and the world. I could see some potential fun friction with Pere Vilaro.

The other idea is a Verditius mage, probably a smith/metalworker, who has headed for Andorra because of its wealth of resources. I'm seeing him as strong, but pacifist. He possibly just edges it in my preference at the moment.

I'd favour either character as being strong in Imaginem, and maybe one or more of the Elemental forms; and I rather fancy giving them a True Love, perhaps a fiancée who can either arrive with them, or be expected at a later stage.

I thought you were the guy who wanted to create a Sahir. No matter. Chat with the troupe and brainstorm.

EVERYONE!!

I will have to catch up Sunday night. Gotta work all night, sleep all day, then work all night again 8)

Welcome Asilano!

As Pere's player, this sounds great to me. :slight_smile:

We have a former PC/current NPC, Vulcanus, who is the master craftsman for the covenant and kind of a sworn enemy of all Verditius magi. It's more complicated than that, but it could be a serious problem.

Another illusionist and a family man? Can I interest you in House Tremere? Solid pay, spectacular benefits, opportunities for advancement... :slight_smile:

At some point this weekend I'm going to start the scene in which Pere and Acutus meet. I figure we'll improv it back and forth and see what happens.