General Table Talk

I looked at the permissions, not at the accounts :wink:
BUt here you are, anyway :smiley:

Having spent some time working for the Tremere, Arachné appreciates her mindset, and will just agree with Vocis :smiley:

So, if I understand correctly, for each season Intissar helps arachné in the lab, she gains exposure XP, but nothing when Arachné learns from a book? I'm totally fine with that, just wanting to make sure.

That alo depends on how you guys want to handle it. I can see maybe putting exposure xp towards the studied subject or towards whatever applies to daily life as the two of you go about day-to-day existence. As I have stated, I think it is a dumb rule as applied to familiars. The only sympathy I have is I can see not allowing the familiar to gain from solo adventure or training by another.

Well, to me, it's not a bother to have both might and mightless familiars, so long as they both have their advantages/disadvantages.

For exemple, I can see Might ones having more intelligence and powers, whereas the mightless ones can learn a lot of things on their own. So your ruling is fine for me, and, IMO at least, there's no problem, don't bother :smiley:

Yes, you are right, I was confused by a faulty memory of Image from the Wizard Torn (which uses base 15). You can see from the image's POW due to the Intellego requisite, but supress it, and you're in just the situation you're describing :smiley:

Yes, I checked it yesterday, too, since I also had some doubts. This'd be akin to "Ambush on the Deserted Road" and, well, yeah, finesse :frowning:

I ran some numbers with Vulcanus last night. Using every little trick and tidbit (runes, lab, inventive genius, everything); I calculate a Lab Total of 116 for this idea. It requires experimentation to get the full juice from Inventive Genius, but with a +3 Risk Factor the roll is irrelevant.
A simple Lesser Enchanted Device, CrTe58 Conjuration of the Mystic Tower (Base 35 starting from spell but non ritual, +1 magnitude Concentration, +2 magnitudes for Runes, +5 levels Item Concentrates, +3 levels Six uses per day.

Seems like the Vulcanus thing to do. Screw the ship, we can camp in comfort and style wherever we go 8)

What do we need SIX mystic towers for??!?!

EDIT: oh, potential flying artillery. Falling towers are quite something. Nice.

:laughing:
That was not the intent. The idea was you can set it up and take it down six times a day. With D: Conc, it automatically expires at sunrise & sunset anyway. And I figure we would set it up and take it down as we move from location to location. Move a couple of miles, set up tower and rest an hour, move along. Horde of bandits on the horizon? Set up tower and fortify.
The design could, at a lower level and without the similar spell bonus, be a smaller and less complex strong house or bunker. But that doesn't seem very Vulcanus style to me.

I would like your opinions on a spell idea...

ReAq15 Comfort in the Arid Clime
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
[tab][/tab]Protects the target from the ravages of dehydration and thirst, by keeping moisture sealed within them as much as possible. This grants a +5 protection versus Deprivation or damage from sudden dehydration.
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

This doesn't replace water or stop deprivation, it just slows it down and helps resist against it. Normally, you would have to make one deprivation check a day if you lacked water, and the cumulative penalty is -1 per check after the first. In the desert, you have to check once every four hours if you lack water. Six checks a day. This spell balances out the accumulated penalties of a day and makes survival checks feasible for perhaps two or three days. Using this spell would be an emergency measure in case we run out of water or if supplies are low and we have to ration them.

Do you think the spell is mechanically sound and fits within our needs?

Did you count the shape and material bonuses in the lab total? We might be able to squeeze a few more uses doing that. I mean, I and the Fire Brothers liked the idea of dropping mystic towers from the sky.

From the peanut gallery... It needs a Corpus requisite.

I squeezed in everything. But i will go over it all again
CrTe58 Conjure the Mystic Tower: Base 35 as spell, +1M Conc, +5L Creo Rune, +5L Terram Rune, +5L Item concentrates, +3L six uses per day

Aura 5, Lab Quality +4, Items +2, Intelligence +5, Magic Theory 6 (Terram), Familiar Intelligence +2, Familiar Magic Theory 4 (Terram), Creo 7, Terram 14 +3, Inventive Genius +6 when experimenting, Similar Spell +7, Creo Rune +7, Terram Rune +17, Max S&M Bonus +7, Craft: Blacksmithing 5 (whatever), +3 Experiment Risk Factor
Lab Total = 106
I miscalculated somewhere, I am still short and would have to roll a 10.
But if someone assists him, he could well put it in the bag.
Dropping towers is a no-go though. Too unnatural. Extra magnitudes. Better to just conjure rocks and save the elaborate design magnitudes. The effect as designed causes the tower to grow straight up from the ground in a cloud of steam (cosmetic sigil effect)

Vulcanus is also thinking of creating a Rod of Transportation :wink:

And what do you thing of Roberto's dehydration ward idea?

That is easy, Roberto's Aquam is 0 to begin with, so a requisite is no hindrance. I was thinking it might need a Creo requisite, not Corpus. In either case, I imagine it would count as the sort of requisite required for function, as opposed to enhancing function.

If you are going to go with Cr and Co why not make it a spell to give health bonuses based on those with an Aq component?

Actually, it should be a ReCo(Aq) spell...

I am thinking just ReAq with maybe a casting requisite of Corpus or Animal or Herbam or whatever. I was thinking Creo because the spell acts as a preserving agent.

Just say the quote there. So yes, I must agree Corpus. But as a Requisite, and a Casting Requisite at that for the spell should work on animals too.

I have Carmen's contributions figured out, submitted for your consideration and commentary...

• Spend a season creating Lighting Rods (Charged Items, +35 Damage, +70 Penetration, divided amongst 15 charges)
  • In a single season, she can invent a ritual spell that will make it rain across the expanse of the desert. Think Clouds of Rin & Thunder as a Momentary Ritual (real rain) with a Target of Boundary. Final level is CrAu30r.
  • With Kesara's assistance, she can knock out a ritual to create refreshment (her Lab Total is 38 otherwise). I am wavering between the barrels of wine option or a spell that creates a spring.
  • Finally, using a Lab Text from the covenant's library, she will learn the ritual ReVi30r Watching Ward. She will cast each of the spells she just invented into a different object, costing 24 pawns of vis total.

The trick is that she won't be going with you to the City of Brass. She thinks the best rout will be over the sea to Alexandria, from there to Pyramids II, and on to the Marble Palace ectetera. At Alexandria, she wants to split off from the party. The rest of you go on to the City of Brass. She will head into Cairo to confront Valten IV, taking Alexandro and Oscar with her.
There are distinct metagame reasons I want to do it this way. Mainly, I want to take Carmen out so the player magi are not overshadowed by her. The lightning Rods will compensate for the loss of firepower, yet the limited charges are insufficient to take the whole of the city by storm (and the Penetration may well fall just a tad short of the Malik's resistance, because he is tricky like that). The two ritual spells will be an option waiting on hand just in case.
I also want to sweep the "disaster mystery" under the carpet and move on with our lives unfettered by the past. If you guys don't want to do it that way, let me know.

:laughing:

I know this is a crappy response, but something feels off about this spell. I'm not sure I see how it's ReAq. Perhaps something like a MuCo to give the person the "can go for months without water" properties of the mythic camel? (Or maybe I've slipped into Fiona mode again, who sees MuCo/An around every corner.)

Maybe it's because I can't quite figure out what the Rego bit does. Does it keep the sweat from evaporating, which kinda makes sense?

Perhaps a ReIg or ReIm to "shunt" the sun's rays around you so that God's magnifying glass isn't focused on your noggin and you're walking in perpetual shade. (Which, actually, sounds kinda awesome). Base 4 ("Control a fire in a slightly unnatural fashion"), R: Voice +2, D: Sun +2, T: Individual(?), for a spell level 20. Or possibly base 10 ("Control a fire in a very unnatural fashion"), which would make it Level 30, but I think 4 fits better. And perhaps with a Rego requisite so that the sunburn-free zone travels with you. Or perhaps put it in an item. Like a Hello Kitty umbrella.

Would that be the mission to retrieve Vulcanus's pater's staff or whatever? I've no problem with that, but I'm attached to Vibria's rack. um...wait...that didn't come out right. :laughing:

Not that attached to it. It was more of an excuse to dump Exposure xp into Aquam.
:mrgreen:
Not really. I started with the idea for a ReIg/Aq charged item, then thought about just the aquam part. It keeps your moisture intact, not only against heat but against the excessively dry climate. But doing it the way you suggest is basically a fifth level spell like Eyes of the Cat. With a Lab Total of 31, he can invent this spell, that spell, and maybe one more minor ability type spell.
MuCo5 Endurance of the Camel
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
Req: Animal
[tab][/tab]This grants the target a camel's legendary ability to withstand deprivation from water, requiring a fraction of the rolls to check for Deprivation (one per week in normal conditions, once per day in extreme conditions)
(base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

I should maybe invent it as D: Moon?

And Vibria gets to keep her gains. :wink:
The Vulcanus situation was, in this line, a lead to a clue. The guy that hit us sold our stuff through a fence, the same chick that screwed Vulcanus over and has his kid. After that, Carmen tracked clues down to this Valten IV guy researching some ancient magic in Cairo. Her Intuition tells her this is the guy, and Intuition is never wrong. It either guides you or is silent, it never steers you the wrong way :wink:
This has to do with what started this saga: the covenant got attacked and Carmen and Vibria were targeted by assassins in Valencia. Only you and Fixer were around for that (I think), and I just want to sweep that hook away in favor of new material.

This gets my vote. You could also make it a constant-effect item and churn out several of them in a couple seasons.