General Table Talk

That does not include your monkey. Though if it's the season after you bond, you're probably only adding its Int, since it won't know any Magic Theory yet.

She may need to either postpone your help or simply ask your aid in obtaining the item she wants for a talisman- an amber and copper wire glove. She will need to open it and attune it before investing the first effect.

True. Still, it's a pawn less vis per point of Int if I decide to boost the ritual.

Ah, yeah. No worries; just move Antoine's help season around to suit. I don't have anything time-critical in plan.

Point taken. :slight_smile:

I was think Lucas's leadership only allowed two assistants...

RAW isn't completely clear, but I think it's clear enough:

I read that as basically saying that the familiar is free against Leadership, otherwise why specify "at least one"? So with Lucas's Leadership 1+1, I would think he can have Antoine+Monkey, with Horus being "free".

RAW doesn't say that, though. It says specifically one assistant in addition to his familiar, not as many assistants as his leadership score would allow plus his familiar. It's something to adjudicate as a House Rule, and in my sagas, I make it explicitly clear.

I had interpreted things as you do, Jonathan. But then there was a discussion here that seemed to indicate the other interpretation was controlling. So I assumed that was the interpretation for this saga.

That having been said, I'll go with whatever the troupe says the interpretation should be.

So you read it as "Up to Leadership, but never fewer than familiar + 1 magus"? That seems to rather devalue Leadership.

Still, it is a legitimate reading, so I guess we'll ask Marko.

Yeah, it's why I house rule it in every game I SG. Just so everyone is clear that you get leadership +1 assistants, basically ignore the familiar and count him as a regular assistant, not a special case. And then I make it understood that Bonisagus get Leadership +2.

That seems a bit generous to Bonisagus, who already get a very good House Virtue.

I'm also considering what Asilano said. It seems odd that the basic rule would mean that Leadership 1 (and Leadership 2 if you have a familiar) get you nothing. Something to consider.

As far as I understand, your own Familiar does not count against your limit, but the familiars of others do count. Also, any assistant must have a score of at least 1 in Magic Theory.

If you need another point or two, I suggest trying a non-standard Lab routine as described in Covenants.

There are just a host of rules squirreled away in the various books. :slight_smile:

Shouldn't be a problem for a practicing lawyer, though... :laughing:

That's probably the most balanced.

Yeah, I think that works for me. In the case of Lemon, it probably means that I rearrange my seasons so that I do find him in Winter 1239, Bind in Spring, then teach him or have him read MT in Summer, before LR'ing in Autumn.

What did we come down to on Familiar learning? PB suggested they could only profitably study if the magus was present, but nothing was writ-of-[strike]God[/strike]Marko decided.

Don't forget that Literacy is governed by Artes Liberales, not just the appropriate language ability. Until he has a score in it, he isn't literate, and can't read a book.

RAW seems to imply that there are no learning penalties once bound. Peregrines suggestion is more aesthetically pleasing though. Aim for it, but do not feel bound by it.

Also, I want to give the monkey a once over tonight, make sure it fits specs.