General Table Talk

Another interesting location would be somewhere on the Balearic Islands. There was a lot of mess going on there in the early 13th century, and it's likely not much explored yet for Vis due to it being a group of islands. Plus, it's not all that far off the coast, so we can easily go back and forth. Admittedly, Valencia would suit me admirably, but I figured I'd throw out the idea, just to be fair :slight_smile:.

Baelric islands would be cool, but more of a challenge. Andorra covenant has a historic connection to an old defunct covenant that was once located in Valencia and we have other ties there.
Anothet option woyld be Estancia Escarida in Granada, as a sort of "sister-covenant".

Just to let you know, I am using a lot of material from the 3rd edition Iberia book, turning the Invernal Volume control down from 11 to a 3, and using the original history of Flambeau

Sounds good. If we play in the 3rd edition setting, can we go pester Doissetep? I have some Ahl-i-Batini "friends" that would like to discuss future issues. :laughing:

It is a 5th edition game, using a few elements of the 4th edition setting (which were based on 3rd, but diverged from WW). So I have no idea what you are talking about but I suspect it is a MtA reference. Doisettep is part of the backstory of this game, reimagined for the 5th edition setting. I am using HoH: Iberia as a basis for the tribunal and the secret history of House Flambeau.
But otherwise, yes. Pester Doisettep. They are an ally.

by which I mean pester them in a good way :wink:

Where's the "Like" button? :smiley:

I've read the house rules for character creation and I've come up with a question. Is it possible to use the virtue points gained in a cycle to "buy off" a flaw earned due to Mystery Cult initiation? In most cases it would not be suitable, given that it would indicate an effort to reduce the impact of the initiation on your life, but I can imagine one or two cases where it might be merited.

Likewise, I assume that gaining an initiation through a Cult script takes up an entire season, with no other work possible? If so, does it grant exposure experience in Cult Lore?

There is a formula that calculates the cost of an Initiation in terms of time & xp. You do not get any extra xp for exposure during that time (or if you did, it is part of the cost).

As far as "buying" off ordeal inflicted Flaws, I am wary about this. I think there *may" be some justification if used properly, such as one initiation to grant a virtue that inflicts a flaw, and a second initiation that removes said flaw. In that case, it is treated like gaining a new virtue. But I think that sounds like a massive waste of time & xp. Would it not be more efficient to not include the flaw in the first place?
So I would probably rule against it, and even if I didn't I would reccomend against it. But I would have to see it first hand before I decide.

Some mystery cults don't give any choice in what virtues and flaws you acquire - say, the Criamon paths. I was considering picking up "Inoffensive to (x)" to partially buy off The Blatant Gift, which is a mandatory initiation flaw, a few seasons later.

Ah Ah Ah! Excellent! :laughing:

Who exactly? Not the new generation, so the old guard... But who? And I dunno, for Glacius, it was back in the old game.

Also, it helps expand Andorra, and thus strenghten it. Of course, both Ibera and Provence could see that as a treat and ask for its special status to be cancelled.

I'd treat it as the gain of a new virtue, not compensated, or replaced, by a flaw. Meaning loss of time and XP.
However, although I see it as something that can be done for non-tradition flaws, I have some difficulty seeing a mystery cult imparting, and then taking away, a given flaw. This is part of the mystery's way to do magic (hermetic flaws), way of thinking (personnality flaws)... Yet it can happen, and I can see a cult that impart Blatant Gift teaching to advanced initiates how to lessen it in regard to specific beings.

You might want also/either to use the "jumpstart" initiation mechanics: Learn a minor virtue, lose it as a ordeal to gain a better, but related, one.

I just want you to know I saw that 'premature' joke sitting right there on the tee for me, but it's not something Vocis would say. :slight_smile:

Why do I set them up if you're not going to knock them down?!?

Might be interesting to push for a new Tribunal, though.

Hence my acknowledgement. I want you to know that I appreciate the effort. :slight_smile:

You GOTTA bite this time.

Oh,you have no idea how hard I want to bite, and I'm showing more restraint than I thought I could :wink:, but I'm trying to play a character who's relatively virtuous (for once). Let's see how long that lasts. :laughing:

I know next to nothing of the existing prior-edition material for Iberia, but I know a little about the historical context. Would Cordoba be appealing at all? Of course, a lot will depend on who ends up being the main SG for the sister chapter.

In other news, is there a virtue that allows you to contribute more to the covenant? I'm writing a list of (mundane) books my character would like to have on hand, and it's fairly extensive already.

There are no later versions of Iberia, ToH: Iberia is the only one so far. It states that there are 10 covenants in the tribunal, and goes on to detail four of them: Barcelona, Duresca, Estancia-es-Karida, and Jafariya. Jafariya was marched when it was discovered it was a front for an Infernalis cabal. Estancia-es-Karida is in Granada and consist primarilly of Criamon sufis and Ex-Miscellanea Sahir. Duresca is a Quaesitor stronghold, and in my sagas the Q's are the good guys (mostly). Barcelona covenant has juristiction over the territory of the city it is named for. It had long been an exclusively Jerbiton covenant, but times change and they have a Mercere Master Redcap and a Falmbeau Guardian as members. Covenants I have added include Campomartes (a Tremere/Flambeau military covenant), and some others that I forget because they never really stood out and I think I swiped them from the Prospecus Locus saga website back in the 90's. It is posted somewhere in the saga notes.
As for history, the year is 1230 and these are indeed interesting times. It has become a four-way struggle. The Iberian Christians and Almorvid Muslims have a stable relationship of animosity and political alliance. The Almohads have been invading and think that the Almovids are soft and decadent. I need a refresher on Cordoba, but I think that the Almorvid tafia is allied with Castile for protection against the Almohads. Much the same is happening in Valencia, and King Peter of Aragon-Catalonia is about to get involved in a major way. The Christain kingdoms are themselves devided, but they still constitute a single side in this competition. The fourth element is influence from the outside, Frankish crusaders that are bringing the culture and tactics of the Levant with them. That is a new development.

Also, I seem to recal that Barcelona once metioned they favored forming a separate Catalonian Tribunal along with Andorra. This would require reviving Valencia and establishing at least one more in the area (Ibiza?).

What is it you wish to contribute to the covenant? If you have a large number of books in mind, the ones you purchase with your vis belong top you and it is your decision what to do with them. The Vis Sorce virtue gives you more vis to buy stuff with maybe. Or just spend some time copying books as a Seasonal activity during CharGen. Don't ask me what books you can find to copy. Just make something up that you feel is resonable and other players agree as such.

I might just end up copying books, it seems suitable and makes good use of my profession: scribe and illustrator. Of course, I have no idea whether anyone else would like to actually read all that stuff, but we'll have a well-stocked library :slight_smile:.

By the way, is anyone planning to play a Tytalus mage? If so, I may have an annotated copy of the Analects I could share :wink:

No tytalus, you'd be the first one :smiley:

If using seasons to write, a rule of thumb might be to use the "mustering out" options.
Since 1 season earns 3 pawns of vis (as extra vis wages), and that these can be be spend on books, that'd give you 12 points per season, enough for either:

• A Q12 tractatus
  • A lvl 05, Q07 summa (note that adding seasons make this very worthwhile. Just 3 seasons can give a lvl 21, Q15 book!)
  • 60 lvls of spell.
    You could then use your prof: Illustrator to improve any copy you make, or enhance existing books.

As a slight HR, instead of taking MT exposure for these, you could take Scribe exposure.

Of course, copying your spells, or writing your own books should follow the normal rules.