Character Name: Guillaume Des Jardins
Date of Birth: September 17, 1208
Current Age: 22
Apparent Age: 22
Weight: 160 lbs.
- Humble: +3
- Honest: +2
- Helpful: +1
- Intelligence: +2
- Perception: +2
- Strength: -1
- Stamina: +2
- Presence: +1
- Communication: +1
- Dexterity: 0
- Quickness: 0
- Decrepitude: 0
- Warping: 0
- Confidence: 1 (3 points)
- Size: 0
- Soak: +2
- Encumbrance: 0
- LT Fatigue: 0
- Dutybound (Minor; bound by the Hippocratic Oath to treat the sick)
- Humble (Minor)
- Mentor (Minor; Needs to be an NPC, so I have to work with Marko on whom)
- Necessary Condition (Major; Has to be humming while casting spells)
- Short-Ranged Magic (Major; Casting totals halved when not touching the target)
- Slow Caster (Minor)
- Arcane Lore (Minor)
- Educated (Minor)
- The Gift (Free)
- Greater Purifying Touch (Major; Febris Semitertiana)
- Hermetic Magus (Free)
- Improved Characteristics (Minor)
- Method Caster (Minor)
- Minor Magical Focus (Minor; Healing)
- Puissant Creo (Free)
- Skilled Parens (Minor)
- Special Circumstances (Minor; Touching the target)
- Norman 5 (Expansive Vocabulary) (0; Native Language)
- Bruges Lore 2 (History) (0)
- Area Lore, Normandy 2 (Geography) (15)
- Artes Liberales 3 (Logic) (30)
- Awareness 1 (Determining Effect) (5)
- Bargain 2 (Specific Product: Medical Supplies) (15)
- Brawling (Knife) 1 (5)
- Charm 2 (First Impressions) (15)
- Chirurgy 2 (Binding Wounds) (15)
- Code of Hermes 2 (Mundane Relations) (15)
- English 3 (Expansive Vocabulary) (30)
- Finesse 2 (Precision) (15)
- Folk Ken 2 (Magi) (15)
- Guile 2 (Fast-Talking) (15)
- Latin 4 (Academic Usage) (50)
- Magic Lore 2 (Magical Traditions) (15)
- Magic Theory 3 (Corpus) (30)
- Medicine 3 (Physician) (30)
- Order of Hermes Lore 3 (Politics) (30)
- Parma Magica 1 (Corpus) (5)
- Philosophiae 2 (Metaphysics) (15)
- Ride 1 (Speed) (5)
- Survival 2 (Specific Locales: Wilderness) (15)
- Swim 1 (Long Distances) (5)
- Creo 10 (55; +3 to casting totals)
- Intellego 2 (3)
- Muto 6 (21)
- Perdo 4 (10)
- Rego 4 (10)
- Corpus 10 (55)
- Herbam 1 (1)
- Bind Wound (CrCo 10; +28)
- Charm Against Putrefaction (CrCo 10; +28)
- Curse of the Unruly Tongue (ReCo 5; +10)
- Dust to Dust (PeCo 15; +10)
- Eyes of the Cat (MuCo 5; +11)
- Gift of the Frog's Legs (ReCo 15; +19)
- Preternatural Growth and Shrinking (MuCo 15; +21)
- Purification of the Festering Wounds (CrCo 20; +28)
- Restoration of the Defiled Body (CrCo 25; +34)
- Revealed Flaws of Mortal Flesh (InCo 10; +17)
- Rise of the Feathery Body (ReCo 10; +19)
- The Severed Limb Made Whole (CrCo 25; +34)
- The Wound That Weeps (PeCo 15; +10)
Children, it is said, are a blessing to behold. And so it was when Guillaume was born into a modest merchant-class house in Bruges in the fall of 1908, the 3rd child of a cloth merchant and a seamstress. The family was blessed twice before - Guillaume's older twin siblings having been born only a year or so prior to him - and now with Guillaume it seemed the family was complete. But with the new baby - and the toddlers - Guillaume's father had to work harder to provide while his mother worked less and less to care for the children. This was good, and the family was happy.
At an early age, it was discovered that Guillaume had a caring heart, with nary a violent bone in his small body. He would continuously find and harbor injured animals, attempting to help them get better. This started at the age of 2 when he discovered a mouse hiding in an old sack, both its back legs broken beyond repair. A normal two-year-old child would have paid no attention to the lame rodent, and most adults would have fed it to a cat. But Guillaume bundled the poor animal up in some old rags and made a home for it out of a mostly-rotten box. He tried to feed it and care for it, but the animal died in short order. And while Guillaume was saddened, his mother knew that great things were in store for him. His compassion was shining, and even with the death of the mouse it wasn't dulled.
Shortly before he turned four, a pair of unrelated yet remarkable events occurred that would put him on the path to becoming a magus. The first involved his older sister, who had contracted gangrene in not one but both of her arms. The disease ate away at her flesh until next to nothing remained, leaving her arms black and useless. It was only a matter of time before several different infections set in, bringing with them high fever, severe vomiting, and eventually death. She was barely 4 years old herself.
The second event would have gone unnoticed had it not been for whom it involved. On a trip with his father to the outskirts of Bruges to deliver some cloth bolts to a local farmer, they came into contact with a Redcap named Boris of Novgorod, from the Covenant at Durenmar who, by mere chance, was in the area gathering information about a plague of sorts that was making the men and animals sick, killing most of them. Boris was trying to interview everyone who passed through, trying to gather as much detail as possible, when Guillaume and his father were passing through. Boris stopped the wagon they drove and began asking questions, pointing all around when Guillaume's father asked what was going on. He pointed to several sick animals lying in the fields, and this caught Guillaume's eye. Seeing the sick animals, he jumped down from the wagon and ran through the tall grass, wanting to help them. And just by laying his hands on them, he did help them.
Whether by divine miracle or pure force of will, Guillaume's touch healed the sick animal, the horse regaining its strength and standing up, wobbly at first like a new calf, but eventually strong enough to walk off under its own power. This caught the eye of Boris, who in wonder and awe ran to the boy and began to size him up. Wanting to make sure it wasn't a fluke, he took the boy by the hand and had him care to another sick animal just a few paces away. The result was the same - the boy's touch had cured the dying cow almost instantly, the disease being lifted off it with but the merest of touches.
Background is still not finished. Working on it.
Short version is that he's the 3rd child of a cloth merchant in Bruges. Family would be considered middle-class - not wealthy, but not poor either. Frugal would describe both his parents pretty well.
Childhood was unremarkable, save for his early love of medicine and caring for the sick. Loss of older sister probably pushed him towards this.
Discovered at the age of 4 to have some magical talent. Was taken to the Florum covenant at Ghent, after his parents were asked to "donate" some funds to help pay for Guillaume's education and training. It wasn't much, but it did put a slight strain on their funds for a couple of seasons. Thankfully the cloth business was good, and the family was able to recover with some work.
Apprenticeship was rather unremarkable, save for his penchant for healing. His intellect, combined with his quick mastery over Creo and Corpus, gave him purpose and focus. It also stunted his ability to cast spells where he wasn't touching his targets, but he is comfortable with his abilities (even if he does think everyone else is better at things than he is).
He's come to the Chapterhouse at Mallorca at the request of his parens. It's a new Chapterhouse, with (as he's heard - it may not be true) many potential members arriving there to perchance form a new covenant. With his Hermetic background and knowledge of the Order and Code of Hermes, he should have no problem with helping make sure the rules aren't broken.
- Xavier of House Mercere - the only Gifted Mercere in the entire Rhine Tribunal. His home Covenant is located at Durenmar, and he is the primary archivist for the Rhine Tribunal. Rhine Tribunal, Page 61
- Boris of Novgorod - unGifted Redcap from Lubeck. Rhine Tribunal, pages 74-75