Guiverna ex Miscellanea - Development

That works for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Updated her Quarter's description on the wiki.

Also: Trogdor. It looks like Bashir is still "free" in Summer of 1237 (he just has "Train in Teaching" listed on the planner). Would he be willing to teach Guiverna Occitan/Catalan that season if she promises to keep her hands to herself?

Technically that's one of his "off" seasons when he's doing his own thing (i.e., learning). But I'm sure we could come up with an arrangement that has him teaching her. He's got the personality trait of Compassionate +3, so he's a sucker for a hard luck story. :wink:

Pay him some silver for his time and he'd be happy to teach you to speak Occitan. His SQ at that point will be 22.

I don't think she has anything he wants to learn (and she's not that good a teacher, unlike Semsuhfaw). So, a moderate amount of silver it is. (Hard luck story: here she is, in a new covenant, and nobody around her speaks any of the languages she does, so she can't strike up conversations with them, or befriend any of them or anything.)

And once she actually learns the language, then she can take Exposure for it when she's doing other stuff.

Things she could do:

1. Enchanted Armor, with Doublet of Impenetrable Silk.
    1.1) As a constant item
    Invulnerable to common PeVi magics, and "always on" / Takes time
    1.2) As an item that casts it on armors.
    If we want our soldiers to have it on in case of emergency, Moon duration is our best bet, with an assigned servant going through our entire supply say, every week
    Can protect all our servants, and "always on" / Harder to create, and vulnerable to PeVi magics

2. Something to conjure a mass of serpents.
    Even if useless against enemies with MR, it may still prove a welcome distraction. But it might be beyond her abilities.

But Guiverna's greatest ability is Parseltongue.
What the Spider would really like her to do is to find a way to use it, and tie it to the covenant's future, combining it with mundane engineering and/or hermetic magic. This is a long-term goal, so Guiverna may work on it at her leisure.
For example, she could use it to summon a huge mass of serpents, and install them on buried chambers in the covenant's outskirts. If attacked, we could release them, and they would not be resisted! Even without guiverna, this would still work.
Later on, she could attract magical serpents and worms, minor scions of sigmundo maybe, and convince them to work with us. Maybe bind those scions that Sigmundo can't control - it's a win/win.

Ooo, I like this. Especially the Parseltongue bits. Kind of like the Pied Piper...wandering the countryside, looking for snakes and bringing them back to the covenant and giving them conscription papers. ("Congratulations! You have just volunteered to join the army of the Glorious Empire!")

The item for making imbuing clothing with Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (especially moon duratino) isn't doable for her just yet, especially as a Lesser Enchanted Item. She might open a wand for enchantment and enchant it in bits, though.

Wonder if I can make one of her open seasons "Exploring Andorra and summoning serpents?"

And maybe a serpent variant of Curse of the Ravenous Swarm (MRB p. 117). Perhaps Conjure the Viper's Nest.

I'm within striking distance of a wand for Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (Moon duration). Ask me again once my apprentice is trained a bit more.

Okay, here's my second version of Guiverna's plans for the cycle (from joining the Covenant in 1236 through Autumn of 1241). I have, intentionally, left a handful of seasons available for various things; helping Arachné with whatever, doing Covenant service, possibly refining her lab. Whatever.

I've also kept the same Aging Rolls as before, because I see no reason to roll again since nothing's changed.

[u]1236[/u]

• Autumn: Searching for her Regio with Horus.

[u]1237[/u]

• Winter: Building her lab (to basic).
  • Spring: Learn Occitan (Catalan) from Bashir.
  • Summer: Improving her lab (to standard)
  • Autumn: open season

[u]1238[/u]

• Winter: Study Dominion Over God’s Creatures.
  • Spring: Study Dominion Over God’s Creatures.
  • Summer: Study Corpus Hermeticum.
  • Autumn: Study Dominion Over God’s Creatures.

[u]1239[/u]

• Winter: Invent Human Tongue of the Serpent (a renamed Voice of the Bjornaer Magus). MuAn 15. LT: Int 1 + MT 5 + Mu 8 + An 10 + Aura 3 + Lab Bonus 1 = 28. She Experiments, with a +1 Risk Modifier. 28 + 1 + die roll of 1 = 30. Extraordinary Results Roll: die roll of 2 +1 = 3. No extraordinary effects.
  • Spring: Practice Human Tongue of the Serpent for Mastery: Quiet Casting
  • Summer: open season
  • Autumn: Study Liberi de Perditu.

[u]1240[/u]

• Winter: Explore Regio with Horus? Or open season.
  • Spring: Invent Hypnotic Gaze (ReCo version of Viper's Gaze). ReCo 10 (base 4, R: Eye, D: Conc, T: Ind). LT: Int 1 + MT 5 + Re 6 + Co 9 + Aura 3 +3 + Lab Bonus 4 = 31.
  • Summer: Journey to Waddenzee, or open season.
  • Autumn: Bind Semsuhfaw as her Familiar. Bonding Level: 27. Lab Total 30. Golden Cord: +2; Silver Cord +0; Bronze Cord +2

[u]1241[/u]

• Winter: Study Eye of Aggamatto
  • Spring: Enchant ankh with Charm Against Putrefaction
  • Summer: Study Lecito and Disputiatio
  • Autumn: Teach Semsuhfaw Teaching.

Glad you like it :smiley:

I don't see why you couldn't. Question is: What become of these? How do we hold/control them?

Yes, do! Serpents are great! Use your potent magic to its fullest, potent spells are fun!

Finally! Names and descriptions (in a way) and who doesn't really work for her! (Fixer, I hope those are okay with you for Arachné's purposes...if not, let me know and I can tweak them.)

[hr][/hr]
Èric, her cook (1 point). He is not immune to Guiverna's charms, and has found himself in her bed often. At the same time, he is more than a little put off by her Blatant Gift, and tries to keep himself as busy as he can so as not to be put in a situation where he would fall to temptation. He's convinced that she talks about him behind his back and comparing him unfavorably to her countless other lovers. He is also very dutiful (as evidenced by the amount of time he spends sequestered in the kitchen and how often he goes to the market in the village to get the freshest everything).

[hr][/hr]
Girauds, Guiverna's butler (1 point), runs her household. Secretly placed there by Arachné, he has absolutely no interest in women...not that Guiverna hasn't tried time and again to get him to come around. He is remarkably clever, and quite adept at anticipating the maga's (other) needs. He has an annoying habit of getting Guiverna what she needs before she realizes that she needs it. (If it helps, imagine Radar from the MASH series. But taller, and without the glasses.

[hr][/hr]
Henriette is Guiverna's washerwoman (1 point), who is responsible for keeping Guiverna's vast wardrobe clean and mended, as well as keeping fresh sheets on the maga's bed (which, Henriette complains to Johanna and Girauds, is almost a full-time job in itself).

[hr][/hr]
Hervé is her Shield Grog (2 points). He is not exactly fire-tested, as Guiverna has yet to go on expedition, so the young man spends most of his time training with the other members of the guard. He hasn't really worked with his maga to try to develop any tactics or strategy in case they do find themselves in trouble; the handful of times he's broached the subject with her, she simply tells him that she'll leave herself in his hands, as she's not really a combat maga. He is another favorite partner of hers, due in large part to his muscular physique and youthful stamina. While not one of Arachné's "plants", he would be more than willing to speak with her in confidence about Guiverna's security and protection.

[hr][/hr]
Johanna is Guiverna's housekeeper (1 point) and Arachné's eyes on the young maga. Between her and Girauds, they manage to keep Guiverna from having to give a second thought to anything that happens outside her laboratory, and does her best to keep Guiverna's laboratory as spotless as the maga will let her. She is a little put off by Guiverna's wantonness, and concerned by Guiverna's devotion to her "little heathen gods" to the point where she has to force herself to touch the altars when she's cleaning; she does her best to hide these feelings from Guiverna, but is not shy about expressing them to Arachné when she gives her reports.

[hr][/hr]
Pierre de Troyes is an artist (2 points) who works under Guiverna's (and, to a lesser extent, Sa Dragonera's and Andorra's) patronage. His preferred medium is stone, although he is also a more-than-passable painter who usually does frescoes and oil paintings. Guiverna has him sculpting the idols that are placed throughout her Quarter, her house, and her laboratory; he also has painted several portraits of her, and scenes of what few exploits she's had. He often has to go to Paris to research the animals who comprise in part many of the gods of Egypt. Pierre is one of Guiverna's favorite playmates, due in no small part to his talented fingers and vivid imagination.

[hr][/hr]
(I have yet to come up with the other three points' worth of Inhabitants for Guiverna's Quarter, in case anyone has any ideas.)

LOVE these!

If I may, given her Blatant Gift, I feel like he might very well think that his attraction to her comes from her magical charms, not the physical ones.

Ah ah ah! I concede, this is very much in-character, since she's so wary of guiverna.

Providing she finds the time, she'd be interested:

• If guiverna is a traitor, this would allow her to use HervĂ© as an unwilling plant, by grabbing some information of what guiverna's doing.
  • If guiverna is not a traitor (and ArachnĂ© is perfectly willing to consider that option), this would help protect one of her sodales, something she's always eager to do
    => Win/Win!

Okay, this is officially one of the reasons Arachné wanted a young assistant. Soon as Eva is old enough, she'll get to handle this.
In the meantime, Arachné will use these feelings to her advantage, by insisting that this is one of the reasons she, as a christian maga, wants to keep an eye on guiverna. She's not a bad person, this means she is vulnerable to dangerous outside influences, may be tempted and manipulated. So, for the good of her soul and of the covenant, she needs to be watched.

What about a clothier?
Someone to buy things for her?
A stablemaster, or kennelmaster, if she has horses, dogs or another animal? Like, someone to take care of her snakes?

Perfect! Guiverna and her "Orbs of Power!" lol

That, and I seem to remember you mentioning a while back that she wanted to have people close to her to keep an eye on her, make sure she was on the up-and-up or something along those lines.

Excellent! A tailor/seamstress, a buyer. Maybe a groundskeeper.

Also, none of these have been statted up yet, not even Hervé, if anyone wants to have a go at them before I get around to it.

Welp, apparently I had a malfunction in my maths processor. I only have two points' worth of Inhabitants to go yet, and not three. So, I guess the construction crews who built her mausoleum wouldn't count, as they would be gone once the project is done. I was going to have one of her Inhabitants be a merchant who buys the items she needs for her, but then I remembered they actually have to live in the regio, so Francesc would be someone in the city of Mallorca that handles those things for her. (Unless this is something that Rilcheau would be more suited to arrange?). So, here are the final two Inhabitants.

[hr][/hr]
Charles is her tailor, who had learned his craft in Paris (because, after all, why wouldn't a Frenchwoman want haute couture from Paris?) and continues to correspond with his peers to keep up on the latest fashions. A widower who is starting to get on in years (b. 1202), he doesn't have any qualms about being a "kept man," since Guiverna keeps him busy. Charles does sometimes worry about what will happen to him when he's no longer able to satisfy the maga, whether in the wardrobe or in the bedroom. That being said, he takes a lot of pride in his work, and preens at even the slightest compliment. Charles also makes the clothes for Guiverna's staff (after all, her servants, and their clothing, should reflect well uponn their mistress...and upon him), and has let it be known that he is willing to take commissions for the other magi as well (if he can work it into his busy schedule...which he pretty much always can).

[hr][/hr]
Guillermo is the regio's groundskeeper. He not only keeps the roughtly 160 acres (66œ hectares) of grass maintained, but he also keeps the pathways clear, the bushes and hedges trimmed, the ponds clean, and does the maintenance on the house and the shrines that dot the landscape. Young and fiery, he is fine living in a...whatever this is, away from a lot of people. Almost as insatiable as Guiverna, he has been known to bring strange women through the tunnel to keep him company.

Great! I love them all! :smiley:

In thinking about Guiverna's Talisman (her ankh and necklace), I've noticed a drawback: snakes don't have shoulders. And a maga's talisman should be at hand at all times.

So, what I would like to do is install an effect that, effectively, allows the Talisman to merge with her when she Shapeshifts into an asp, with the talisman evident in an obvious Ankh-shaped mark on her front or back, and a band around her throat.

I'm thinking that it would be an Environmental Trigger (p. 99), with the trigger being shapeshifting.

What would the main effect be? Would it be a Muto Terram (Corpus/Animal)? Or Rego Terram (Corpus/Animal)? Or Muto(Rego) Terram(Corpus/Animal)?

Thoughts?

I'd go with MuTe/An to keep it simple. I don't think you need Re, and only Co if it can also merge into her human shape.

Snakes can wear Hats
:smiley:

This.

IIRC, there's a precedent in the bjornaer chapter for such a thing (a talisman that changes with you)

Holy cow. Three years since the last post here?

Anyway, I noticed (while working with Vibria) that I am woefully negligent in advancing Guiverna. Like three years behind. So, this weekend, I'll try to work on what she's been doing besides getting a bitchin' tan over on Sa Dragonera. I definitely want her to get a Talisman, if I can figure out how we decided to do her "talisman changes forms with her" trick.

Chalkboard numbers for enchanting Guiverna's Talisman (her Ankh necklace) with an effect where the Talisman merges with her body when she becomes an asp (and is visible as a white or silverfish ring around her neck and an ankh-shaped mark on her back touching or connected to the ring by a short line).

Working title: "The Talisman is a Part of Me"

MuTe(Co), base level 5. I took the Level 5 Muto Terram guideline "Change dirt into an animal", postulating that the level for Corpus would be the same.

The item is Metal, which adds 2 magnitudes.

Range: Personal, Duration: Concentration (+1), Target: Individual, for a base Effect Level of 20.

Environmental Trigger: when Guiverna becomes an asp (+3)
The item maintains concentration (+5)
Number of uses per day, I'm looking at 3 per day (+2)

That gives a final Enchantment level of 30, unless I'm missing (which is possible - I am a little out of practice).

Yea? Nay?