Hibernian magi

Hibernian magi may be made within 7 years of apprenticeship if they come from another tribunal, local magi will be made just prior to their gauntlet- essentially as complete magi at gauntlet with no parma, who are in their Macgnímartha at the start of play.

Nice! Oh what kind of trouble do I want to get into during Macgnimartha?

I'm thinking of making a Jerbiton who had previously been en route to becoming a bard until he was whisked away from the bardic school by his parens. He'd be older than usual age to start his apprenticeship, 18-ish. Mostly because of the "Bardic Education" virtue seeming to be about 4 years and bards who have passed the exams should be no younger than 20 so if his education was cut short he'd have to be in the 16-20 range.

How do you feel about Gifted Companions? ie fully non-hermetic gifted hedge magi? Do they need to have been recently inducted to the order? Or will Coill Tri be acceptable too? What traditions do you feel make sense (mainly the question being is Hibernia too far from Scandinavia for Vitkir to be present)?

Check out the sections of the Hibernia book about Ostmen (I think), there are a bunch of them in Dublin, so, no, I wouldn't think it's too far from Scandanavia due to Scandanavian Settlers created cities like Dublin. Whether they're allowed or not is a question I can't answer but the setting seems like it'd have room for it.

hedge traditions are allowed, either as gifted companions or magi equivalent depending on the tradition (of course non gifted hedge wizards are also possible)

Cool. I think I'll work up a Vitkir then. Does it make more sense for him to be in the Coill Tri or about to be sworn in as Hermetic under the auspices of a Pralician? I would choose the latter but either is fine with me if you have an opinion about it. I note that Dublin is outside of Connacht.

Hmm... Thinking of stating up a coven

It mentions that other cities were created by Norse settlers but I forgot which ones. Some of the others might be a better fit as they seemed closer to their Norse heritage. It's sort of hidden in a tangential mention in the brief section on languages (Contested Isle p21):

The Finn-Gaill (“white foreigners”) of Dublin have adopted Leinster Gaelic, but the Dubh-Gaill (“black foreigners”) of Wexford, Limerick, Waterford, and Cork speak the Norwegian dialect of West Norse.

Which implies that the "black foreigners" may be closer to their Norwegian roots. None of those cities is super close to Connacht, though Limerick in Munster, is the closest.

I don't particularly want to be from Connacht, it's just that not being there makes Order recruitment more likely/necessary.

Cool. While that was one part of why I posted that the other was that you should maybe be from one of the non-Dublin cities because the Dubliners have more fully integrated into Irish culture and might be less likely to have a Vitkir living there to train you. Obviously up to you, just thought since these mentions are kinda all over the place in the book...

The isle of Mann is in norwegian hands for a long time. One recruit can come from there easily.

Sounds good to me. I think at this time it's actually ruled by the King of Norway, so very fitting. (A little earlier it's independently Norse.)

When you say coven do you mean us? Or NPCs?

The Bardic Education virtue (p116 of Contested Isle) grants 50 xp that can be spent on Art of Memory, Profession: Storyteller, Profession: Poet, any Area Lore, or any Org Lore. Mind if I use Craft: Poetry rather than Profession: Poet because every other mention of a skill for poetry in the line seems to use the craft version instead of the profession. I checked the Errata and there doesn't appear to be any entries for Contested Isle.

art and academe defined two separate abilities- craft poetry for creating poems and profession poet for reciting. Hibernia treats these as the same ability- I am going with art and academe on this definition but will allow the xp from Bardic Education to be spent on either (or both).

Ah, cause the Faerie stuff seems to go the other route, counting Craft as both.

I don't see where you get that- the only reference even close I can find is that the artistic expression can be a performance or the construction of a physical piece of artwork, which is covered in art and academe, in that both are art but where a thing is created (a poem composed) it is a craft but where something is simply performed it is a profession. There are some which seem to be overlaps that are in fact neither- music can be used to compose but is mostly performance, animal handling trains an animal and presents the training as a performance, but A&A is very specific that there are two separate abilities for poetry, though it would appear that the name for the profession version should vary by location- bard, troubadour, etc. I prefer to keep things a touch simpler with a single name regardless of location.

Read the stuff on Faerie Magic Charms in HoH'MC

Also, storytelling is always mentioned as a profession whether composing or performing.

always? You have a reference for storytelling being used for composing in multiple books?
Admittedly the rules in Art and Acadme are explicit but specify poetry, which is, as I recall, the topic of discussion...