Hogsmeade Tavern

I copied them straight from the wiki. If they're off, it's because they were entered on the wiki improperly. IBT?

That could be difficult. I assume she'll share her Parma with Alister, so his teaching won't suffer. But will the other students suffer in learning because she's in the class? I confess I'm not sure in that particular circumstance.

Ah, good point. If it's a problem, I'll pull her out. There is plenty for her to study.

Do I understand consuming vis properly? The rules say:

It looks like Günther is only eating half his Might (4) to gain the xp. Am I missing a rule somewhere? Shouldn't he have to consume 8 vis to get xp? I ask because I'm going to have Groot consume vis at some point.

You don't have to consume any vis at all. But then he would get 4+2-8≤0 or 5+2-8≤0 experience (depending on practicing something new or practicing for improvement). Each pawn eaten reduces the penalty by 2. So by eating 4 pawns he can reduce the penalty to 0. Of course, this means Beatrix has spent 20 pawns of vis feeding Günther this year. As his Might starts increasing it will get even more expensive.

Oh, I see. You're looking at the wrong thing. Look at Transformation via practice instead of the alternative.

Depending on the aura you're in, this alternative can be better. Generally I prefer the practice/adventure experience/etc. method.

I removed Beatrix from the study groups.

Hmm, this raises an interesting issue. I hadn't realized that magical beings could just practice to get xp in advancing Qualities (getting 5 xp/season, or basically a new Quality every other season). Consuming vis as a source gets more xp (Aura + Stress Die), but has the increasing chance of botching with increased vis consumed.

But, Peregrine has stated that familiars don't get a penalty for learning:

Familiars Only: Due to the nature of their Bond with their maga, a Familiar with a Might Score does not take the penalties to advancement that Magical characters normally suffer (Realms of Power: Magic, p. 52).
(http://lochness.wikidot.com/house-rules#toc22)

So if Günther were to practice, he would get 5+2=7 xp in advancing Qualities without needing to consume vis.

I'm not sure that's what Peregrine intended when he said that familiars don't suffer the Might Penalty. I tend to think that he was considering only the advancement of Abilities. As it stands now, familiars could rocket up in power without any real limitation, gaining 2 new Qualities in a single year (assuming they aren't assisting their master).

I wonder if the Might limitation ought to be kept for the purposes of advancing Qualities.

I'm assuming that Alister would be willing to offer private lessons in one of his off-seasons for cash, if Bea was interested.

Of course that leads to the question of how much cash the magi have on hand. We go to great pains to track their vis. But we don't do the same for silver. Do we earn any silver for being members of the covenant, or is that on us?

And this is the official rule now. It showed up (perhaps implicitly, I can't remember) in a relatively recent supplement.

No. Definitely not. The bond allows for learning Abilities better, not Transformation:

I expect she'll end up doing that.

Do note, you'll need to provide some skeletons, preferably devoid of ghosts. :wink:

Hmm, where does one get a skeleton?

I know, one asks one's grog to get one!

Find where someone was buried some years ago... Kill someone and clean up the mess...

I added Seamus in the wiki, assuming that if teaching is occurring then any could attend.
Who else is avail?

This falls under House Rule #1. In this case [technobabble]part of the bonding process between a Familiar and his Maga makes it easier for the familiar to learn and alleviates the need to consume vis for the information or training to "stick." [/technobabble] That rule from Realms of Power: Magic still holds for most beings of Magic, but not for Familiars.

Doesn't the Transformation stuff there apply to experience points gained (in the form of Vis, iirc) from adventures in the Magic Realm?

Shouldn't the bonus in learning be for skills their magus has. All other skills should be bought the same way as RoP:M.

Yes, you do. After 1220, by my reckoning, we had £164 surplus, and £350 on hand. Even with the slight downturn with the fishing in 1221, Insula Canaria is in pretty good shape.

I don't want (or see a need) to micromanage the mundane economy. IC is in pretty good shape, financially, and can afford 'most anything as long as you don't splurge for that solid-gold Olympic-szed swimming pool.

No. P. 105 of the main rulebook says that "Familiars can learn Abilities in the same way as humans." It doesn't limit it to abilities that the magus has, or learning abilities at the same time as the magus does.