HoH:TL Errata "Voices from Hollow Spaces"

Just a thought arising from a discussion in another thread:

The spell Voices from Hollow Spaces, HoH:TL page 140 is listed as ReMe Level 35 (Base 15, +2 Voice, + 2 Ring).

However, shouldn't the base level be 5 (control a disembodied spirit) rather than 15 (summon a ghost) - by having a Voice range, the spell implies that the ghost is already present (or already summoned by another spell).

If the spell actually summons and then binds a ghost, shouldn't ir require Range: Arcane Connection and perhaps an extra +1 magnitude to allow binding, ie. be a Level 50 ReMe ritual spell?

Comments appreciated,

Jarkman

Wherefore art thou Timothy? Why have you forsaken me? :stuck_out_tongue:

Jarkman

Quoth the Jarkman:

[i]The spell Voices from Hollow Spaces, HoH:TL page 140 is listed as ReMe Level 35 (Base 15, +2 Voice, + 2 Ring).

However, shouldn't the base level be 5 (control a disembodied spirit) rather than 15 (summon a ghost) - by having a Voice range, the spell implies that the ghost is already present (or already summoned by another spell).

If the spell actually summons and then binds a ghost, shouldn't ir require Range: Arcane Connection and perhaps an extra +1 magnitude to allow binding, ie. be a Level 50 ReMe ritual spell?

Comments appreciated, [/i]
Jarkman

Well, it depends on how you concieve of the process, but generally yes, the spell is used for controlling spirits already bought to you with another spell. There are, however, some caveats in use.

It binds them to objects simply by having a Ring duration. This is not Binding in the conventional sense.

It "summons" the spirit in the sense that it forces the spirit into an object, regardless of if the spirit can, of its own power, posess objects. As I understand it, the level 5 effect only forces ghosts to do what they can, using their powers, do.

As an example: You can't command a human to fly with Mentem magic, because he cannot, of his nature, fly. This spell is the equivalent of the sort of Rego Corpus spell that lets you hoist a guy in the air: it lets you grab a ghost and "teleport" it into a vessel, even if the ghost lacks sufficent power to posess objects. It works on the immaterial substance of the ghost, not his volition.

OK, given that explanation I agree the level should stand (Level 25 did seem too low for such an effect when I calculated it, I'd have perhaps considered a +2 magnitude for "fancy effect" IMS).

Essentially you're saying there's an addition to the ReMe Gudelines:

Level 15: compel a ghost to act in an unnatural manner

Thanks,

Jarkman