I am on a boat, ***, don't you ever forget

Ok let us pimp our boat !

youtube.com/watch?v=dWzubBv6TwI

Enchantment tha could be useful:

-Something to reduce the size of cargo in the hold, that way a boat could replace many
-Something to generate wind, so the boat can sail quickly from A to B.
-Something to ward the sea water out of the hold (so it doesnt sink
-Something to prevent the boat from being on fire
-Something to move cargo quicky
-Profit?

Warding the sea water out or summoning a wind is probably the most subtle. Even on calm days, you can get winds blowing in one place and not another. And with luck, you'll never need the warding.

A rego craft carpentry spell for quick repairs.

Our young natural philosopher could likely make a preservative.

something to summon a current; this could cover our going faster, or slow down an enemy. Or both.

Tartessos would be happy to work on some of these this year as well. Let's stat up the items and divvy 'em up.

How about:

[size=120][strike]Weathervane[/strike] Wand of Wind Summoning[/size]
CrAu 25
R: Sight, D: Conc., T: Ind.
[strike]This looks like an ordinary weathervane, except that the vane is held tighter to the pole supporting it so that the vane can't move freely with the wind, but must be moved by hand. When a command word is spoken, the Weathervane of Wind Summoning calls forth a brisk wind in the direction that the vane is pointing. A second command word releases the wind.[/strike]
This wooden rod with an agate at one end allows the user to summon a wind at any point within sight. A first command word calls the wind up; and a second command word releases it.
Form: wand (+4 control things at a distance), agate (+3 air)
(Base 2, +3M Sight, +1M Conc., +5 device maintains conc., +10 unlimited use)

The unlimited use seems necessary to allow the wind direction to be altered as needed. I would assume that a summoned wind would only go in a single direction and that it would require a new casting to change direction.

[size=120]Oar of Current Control[/size]
ReAq 31
R: Sight, D: Conc., T: Ind.
This miniature oar allows the user to summon a steady current by speaking a command word. The oar has a small hole drilled in the handle to hold a tiny vial of mercury. The device will only work for 70 years after which time it will cease to be magical.
Form: oar (+4 currents, bonus to affect), mercury (+3 Aquam)
(Base 4, +3M Sight, +1 Conc., +5 device maintains conc., +6 uses/day: 50)

I had to drop this down to 50 uses/day to bring it within a reasonable chance to craft it in one season. I think once Talus opens Soot's Arts, he should be able to do it.

Edited to add form/shape bonuses and to change the weathervane to a wand

The only problem I can see with that is that it will require a fairly high Finesse roll to do properly. I don't know if it's possible to reduce the Finesse requirement by adding magnitudes for complexity. But if so, that would be a must.

[size=120]Axe of Ship Destruction[/size]
PeHe 26
R: Sight, D: Mom., T: Part.
This tiny wooden axe allows the user to destroy a roughly door-sized piece of wood within sight by speaking a command word. It was designed to be used in ship combat to hole an enemy ship. It's also very useful for removing part of a ship's mast.
Form: axe (+4 destroy wood), dead wood (+4 dead wood, bonus to affect)
(Base 4, +3M Sight, +1M Part, +6 Uses/Day: 50)

[size=120]Saw of Ship Repair[/size]
ReHe 26
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Group
The user selects a pile of wood, and the spell cuts, splits, carves, and joins the wood to repair damage to a ship. Any nails needed must be supplied, but wooden dowels can be formed from the supplied wood.

The user must make a Perception + Finesse roll to determine the success of the process, substituting for a Craft: Carpenter roll, and if this fails, the results is just a mess of chopped-up wood. The Ease Factor is at least 3 higher than a carpenter’s Craft roll would require, so the simplest basic repairs have an Ease Factor of 6, increasing as the task gets harder.

If the user chooses inappropriate wood (such as green, unseasoned wood), the item still acts — as if an unwilling carpenter
worked against his better judgment — but the resulting repair will undoubtedly split and warp later. This is one reason why the ship is typically provided with some appropriate wood for repairs.

Form: hand saw (+3 delicately shape wood), dead wood (+4 dead wood, bonus to affect)
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Group, +6 Uses/Day: 50)

I dropped the extra magnitude for flexibility, since this can only be used to repair a ship and not any other carpentry job.

Smother the Inferno, Mark I
PeIg16
Base: 4 Extinguish a fire, cooling ashes to merely warm
R: Voice +2 magnitudes
D: Mom
T: Ind
Use/day: 50 (+6 levels)
Form: Fired Clay (+4 protect vs fire), Wand (+4 destroy at a distance)

This wand, when pointed at fire and uttering the command word will extinguish an individual sized fire (large camp fire or hearth fire).  

Smother the Inferno, Mark II
PeIg21
Base: 4 Extinguish a fire, cooling ashes to merely warm
R: Voice +2 magnitudes
D: Mom
T: Group
Use/day: 50 (+6 levels)
Form: Fired Clay (+4 protect vs fire), Wand (+4 destroy at a distance)
+1 magnitude for additional size

This wand, when pointed at fire and uttering the command word will extinguish up to ten fires (large camp fire or hearth fire) at a time. 

The reason I post two versions is because Tartessos can make the Axe of Ship Destruction and one of these in a single season. He can make Mark II if Vulpus helps, otherwise he is limited to Mark I.

Let's let the rego crafters handle all the rego stuff; Tartessos will do everything else. Although if the Oar is difficult, he could do that another season; he can make anything in the low 40's.

Don't all of your projects in a season have to be the same TeFo?

I miscalculated in my original estimates. Talus can make the Oar in one season. He can also make the weathervane in a season as well. Also, while a weathervane seems kind of cool, technically a wand gives a better form/shape bonus. Alas.

In any case, Talus could make a Wand of Wind Summoning (same stats as the weathervane) in one season as well.

Also, I'm not entirely certain whether a summoned wind follows you or remains in place at a given point in space. It might be necessary to have the following as well.

[size=120]Wand of Wind Control [/size]
ReAu 25
R: Sight, D: Conc, T: Ind
This wooden wand inlaid with agate allows the user to control an existing wind to follow a ship for as long as desired, continuing to press it forward. A first command word maintains the wind; and a second command word releases it.
(Base 2, +3M Sight, +1M Conc, +5 item maintains conc, +10 unlimited use)

We could drop it down to 24 uses a day if we wanted to make it ReAu 20 and save one point of vis.

Here's a ReAq item to go with the Oar of Current Control. Unfortunately, I think the two together might be too much for a single season.

[size=120]Amulet of Calm Seas[/size]
ReAq 29
R: Per, D: Conc, T: Ind
This is an amulet consisting of a crystal hanging from a fine chain. The crystal has a small hollow drilled into it into which a few drops of mercury are placed. Upon command, this amulet breaks all waves and torrents of water (including magical ones) as they come within 100 paces of the user, creating an area of calm sea no matter how terrible the weather is.
Form: crystal (+5 water-related effect), mercury (+3 Aquam)
(Base 10, +1M Conc, ward, so the target is the warded Individual, not the water, +1M Size, +5 device maintains conc, +4 uses/day: 12)

This would be worn by the captain, of course. I limited it to 12 uses/day so that it wouldn't reach level 30 and warp the captain when it was used. (I know we could design it for a particular captain. But what if our captain changes?)

An object with duration concentration which maintains concentration can be redirected simply by concentrating while the spell is active. So the wand of wind control, for example, will maintain current wind conditions until the original user grabs the wand and changes the wind which was summoned...
on the other hand you probably want to go with a base of 3 to control normal weather phenomenon instead of minor- the difference being regular wind versus a light breeze (which probably would not actually push a sail)

Also usage of Mercury should be more than simply contained within the item- a glass bulb half full of mercury as a decoration would be appropriate as an example, but simply drilling a hole and pouring in mercury before plugging the hole is not. cosmetic details I realize- at least until the glass breaks...

Silveroak -

Trogdor brings up a good point, are we using the house rule that if your projects use different TeFo they use the lesser of the two lab totals? Or stick with RAW that they must be the same TeFo?

I'm sticking with RAW on this- all activities for a season have to be the same TeFo.
I could allow splitting the lab total between enchantment and spell research.

Revised to give a base 3:

[size=120]Wand of Wind Control [/size]
ReAu 30
R: Sight, D: Conc, T: Ind
This wooden wand inlaid with agate allows the user to control an existing wind to follow a ship for as long as desired, continuing to press it forward. A first command word maintains the wind; and a second command word releases it.
(Base 3, +3M Sight, +1M Conc, +5 item maintains conc, +10 unlimited use)

I would like to point out that we have the lab text for this from the build points, and that item could be in fact the most important in our whole business operation. Plus it would keep the food and water fresh for the sailors.

I dont know what lab total Tartessos can reach with these forms, but he could make 3 in a season I think. That would help us keep the lab upkeep costs down a bit (I think it was ruled to give -1 upkeep and +1 general quality.

good catch, I keep forgetting about those things. I could indeed do three, plus a very small side project. Would we rather have some of these or an anti fire item in spring?

Instead of making the wand to extinguish fire, I could ward the ship against flames.

Brass Ward Against the Lake of Fire

Base 4, + 1 touch, +2 sun, +2 up to +15,+0 ind + 3 size (based on herbam individual), + 1 2 uses a day, +3 environmental trigger

Final enchantment level: 84.

Any fire up to level 15 wont damage our ship !

I can probably make it in a season if I am helped by Julia and we experiment on the enchantment.

Used this thread as reference on ind vs structure for ships.

https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/the-break-room/102/1

Wouldn't a ward warp? I would certainly be the easiest way, but I was going PeIg targeting the fire to avoid warping issues.

It might warp the ship, but not the crew nor its content. I think it is safe to ward the ship.