I am on a boat, ***, don't you ever forget

As a level 40 spell being cast twice a day on the ship that means the ship would be gaining 2 warping points a day. However, I think it is safe t say that this spell is being designed specifically for this ship, so we can simply look at 1 warping per year for sustained effects.
The other issue is getting the ship in the lab- though I suppose you could bring one of the mobile labs to the ship- which is docked in Mdina, where you would have to do your work in public, within a divine aura

Yes, the effect would be specifically designed for the ship. Do I need to enchant the ship directly though ? Would enchanting a brass ring that could be fitted at the base of the mast in the hold do the same as a ring for a human?

I think it would be a continuous effect too.

What could that warping look like?

Another enchantment that could be useful for the boat.

Thaumaturgical Transformation of Ships to Iron

Makes any plant, dead or alive, as hard as iron. Affects any amount of plant material up to the size of a 100 small tree (size +3). Sharpedged plants can become deadly when they aremade this hard.

Base 4 + 1 touch + 2 sun + 1 size +2 group + no cost for requisite + 3 environmental trigger +1 2/uses per day

Lab total of 64 required

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but while we're talking magic, we will need some way for our two expeditions to communicate with each other so we don't end up with redundant texts.

The Janus Tablets
InIm 20
Base 1: Use one sense (Sight) at a distance)
R: Arcane Connection (+4 magnitudes)
D: Diameter (+1 magnitude)
T: Sense of Touch (+1 magnitude)
Use/Day: 24 (+5 levels)
Shape/Form: Writing tablet - rock crystal frame with clay writing surface (+5 clairvoyance)

This pair of writing tablets were made from a single block of rock crystal, sheared in half so each half is an Arcane Connection to the other. The rock crystal is the frame backing of the tablet and fresh clay can be placed in the frame and written upon. When the enchantment is activated, it uses the sense of sight to determine the writings on the clay of the other tablet, and displays the information through the sense of touch on it's own rock crystal surface. Anyone holding the initiating tablet can feel the writing although it may need special training to understand anything beyond the most simple images. The user is intended to make a parchment rubbing of rock crystal face and then read the revealed copy. The Janus Tablets are meant to be made in pairs, but any amount of tablets may be made as long as the materials act as Arcane Connections to all the others.

OBJECT OF DECREASED SIZE
R:Touch, D:sun, T:room

This spell enlarges and inanimate object
originally no bigger than 100 cubic paces, The
objects halves in each dimension and decreases
its weight eight times. The size decrease is based
on the object’s original, natural size, so casting
the spell more than once on an object has no
effect.

(Base 4, +1 Touch, +2 Sun +2 room)

+2 3 uses per day + 3 environmental trigger

final enchantement level 30 (effect 25, affect 100 base individuals)

I think the Pisces would be similar to this (nythic sea):

arge Roundship/Cog
Larger cousins to the smaller cogs. While
there are not as many large cogs as there are
smaller ones, they are still extremely popular
in the Baltic and north Atlantic.
Hull Size: 7 (Seaworthiness:
OK/–1/–1/–3/–3/–5/Swamped)
Material: Planks (Soak: 7)
Crew Size: 80
Propulsion: Sails (Speed: 4)
Steering: Rudder (Maneuver: +1)
Extras: fore castle, aft castle, 10 normal cabins, 5 ample cabins, 2 luxurious cabins
Total Tonnage: 450
Cargo Capacity: 411

If we enchant part of the hold with that (let's say 200 tons), the cargo space would jump to a whooping 1811 tons of cargo, which would be the equivalent of 3 large cogs and 6 small ones. That would fall somewhere between a typical and a greater source of income. If we spend the alloted gold per magus per year, it think we could safely say it would be greater source.

What do you think silveroak?

1. A brass ring would be fine. Warping would have to be something appropriate to inanimate objects, but would otherwise follow normal warping rules (minor flaw at warping 1, second minor flaw at warping:3, minor virtue at warping:5, major flaw at 6 and higher, each level)

As to enlarging the ship, ships were already being built for maximum seaworthiness, and income is not simply a linear function of volume. I could see the enchantment working simply because magic gets to ignore many conventional rules, but it would also require more crew, and actually gathering that volume of resources to trade above and beyond simply enlarging the ship. Also Cogs are traditionally open hulled and do not have cabins as part of their design. Fore and aft castles were for military cogs used for troop movements, a practice which apparently began in the 1240's Ship decks also became a thing during the 13th century, prior to which ships resembled oversized canoes, with cargo and personnel being on the lower deck, apparently with ledges and support beams being used to sail the ship (which is connected to why overnight voyages were unheard of during the time). Unfortunately the supporting material in C&G appears to be complete garbage as it lists for the primary trade ship of the period a Nef, which is in fact a table ornament in the shape of a ship.

No, the goal is not to enlarge the ship, but to reduce the size and weight of the cargo itself, reverse effect of object of increased size as per core rulebook p.154. It is arguable that the income would not be linear.

A trading company would need to pay the maintenance for each of its ships and according to mythic seas, that would be quite expensive. For a single ship with a magically increased cargo hold (or more accuratly, reduced cargo size), you would only need to pay the maintenance for this ship, thus generating more profits. Also, I think the most of time spent trading is actually spent getting from point A to point B, so the time needed to load the extra cargo would not matter much in the end.

As for the stats of the cog, it is straight out of Mythic Sea, although I believe it is 4th edition. They are listed as having casltes. Also according to wikipedia, in the 13th century they received decks. So I dont think it would be unreasonable for ours to have one. I also went with a large cog instead of a small one because it needed to transport the caravan, so that made sense.

Okay, eleven proposals so far, and I think we'll only get one season of enchanting, so I think we ought to pick the most urgent of these and possibly streamline them as a group.

1. Wand of Wind Summoning/Oar of Current Control/Wand of Wind Control all do the same thing - help the Pisces move. If I chose one, it would be the Oar because it's useable in any circumstance and can be used to hinder an enemy as well as aid us.

2. Defense against fire, either Smother the Inferno, Mk II, or Brass Ward Against the Lake of Fire. I'm not keen on warping, but we'd get four years of trading before our first "quirk" shows up. I'd say go with the ward short term because of the strength of our Rego magi.

3. Defensive "stuff" - Saw of Ship Repair, Amulet of Calm Seas, Xformation of Wood to Iron - all nice, but not needed on the first voyage, except maybe the Amulet of Calm Seas.

4. Offense - Axe of Ship Destruction - lower priority, after some defensive stuff is made. Wait till next year

5. Object of Decreased Size - very nice utility spell, and JP won me over with his argument about how efficient it would make a single ship. We would start by shipping the massive excess of agricultural products we have established by growing our orchards this year. Still, while it is critical for long term success, I think we can voyage once without it.

6. Not related to the ship - communications via the Janus Tablets - I think this is an absolute priority, but can we do something like it with spells this season?

7. The Preservers of Magical Ingredients - we are hemmoraging cash and a season of these would cut expenses by 4.5 lbs (up to 9 for two seasons). Definately a priority this year, but not as much as setting up the ship as an income source.

If I had to pick top three I'd say the Oar, the Amulet of Calm Seas and one of the anti-fire items. Which conveniently makes two rego items and Tartessos could make either the PeIg or ReIg item.

Well, Vincente has wilderness sense, so the amulet can wait for a bit, as he will hopefully be able to avoid most of the bad weather.

-Antonius: I can make the rego ignem warding item in a season

-Tomas is quite good with creo, so maybe he could try to do the wand of wind control ? Btw, maybe something less conspicuous than a wand would be better. maybe a windstock if ships had one.

-Talus could make the oar

-Frederick: Preserver of magical incredients (we have a lab text)

-Tartessos: The object for items of decreased size.

I agree that there is only one item needed for moving the Pisces, and that the oar is the one to use.

As for the axe, I can agree that it can be secondary, but only if people think that the oar will be enough to cope with pirates. We know for a fact that the area we are in is rife with pirates. We need to have a plan for dealing with them. The axe has the advantage of taking the pirates out permanently, while the oar has the advantage of serving double duty.

Also, if we're all going to craft something this season, do we want to put all of our eggs in one basket? Might it not be worth crafting something that could help with a different income source? Just an idea...

We also have The Titan's Bolt, made by Tartessos last year as a side project. It only has six shots a day, but who expects ballista bolts from a merchantman? It should suffice to take out an enemy captain or helmsman.

I think the Oar and the Bolt should suffice for a season or two, then we can really trick out the Pisces.

If the wind creation object is 25, Tomas can make it in whatever form is wanted (52 lab total, even without Cheech helping, largely due to the aura.)
It is not clear from the discussion that this is what the covenant wants.

Ok. I guess every magus picks something from the list then.

I will make the Ward against fire this season.

Can anyone think of a non-magic item way to communicate? If not, Tartessos will do the Janus Tablets.

Talus can do the Oar this season.

Why not direct communication ? We could enchant something like this:

ReCo The ring of homecoming

Base 35 + 1 touch, +X uses per day

I mean we could give it to a trusted sailor, and one there is absolute need to talk to the magi he can use it (it will cause warping though) , then go back. For example, if the ship is attacked a magi ca use the ring the go defend the ship and come back, give the ring to the sailor. The sailor would then go back on the ship.

Plus, I can see this kind of item being useful for other grog, so having a lab text for it could be useful.

I think I'll go with the non-warping option as I don't to put Flavius and Antonius into early twilight.

I will have to drop the use per day to 24 because InIm is one of Tartessos' weaker lab total. I'll edit the post above.

Ok, then why not this:
Ring OF THE UNBROKEN SILENCE

R:Sight, D:Mom, T:Ind
Lets you talk the
mind of a target. The target can recognize your
voice and knows that the message is of supernatural origin.

(Base 3, +4 arcane +1 concentration)

Final effect 25 +5 device maintain concentration, +x penetration + x y/uses per day.

Taht would be basically a telephone an would not cause warping, and could also be useful during adventures

After having read city and guild, it is clear that the stats are quoted are not accurate and that 200 tons is more reasonable. I'll post updated stats for this ship later.

What TeFo is this guideline? And can our magi cast it as a spell? If not the Janus Tablets do something similar for a lower cost.

Edit: found it, CrMe Base 3

Edit 2: This would also require penetration for magi to use it.