Interest? A couple of thoughts

Concept below:

Zarkut ex Miscellanea is a magus of the Order of Pralix, gauntleted in Provencal in 1199. He is a Seeker, and eager to find lost magics, especially ones that might relate to the ancient pagan practices that are precursors to the Cult of Mercury, of which he is a member.

There is no problem with two Jerbiton. A cabal... I'm not saying

1 Like

Zarkut sounds great

Ah! I was thinking of the daughter's reasoning. As for the priest, I would just say the PC bribed/blackmailed them to look the other way, and/or were already owed a favor of some sort. Or were in a jurisdiction where the church would prefer a marriage done with a priest instead of the two having sex and then announcing they were married.

As for the Pater killing him... Yeah, that's the kind of risk you take when you're young and PO'd at your Pater. "Kill me if you can and waste the last 10+ years you spent training me. I dare you. Or you can admit you trained me properly, Master."

Or if that's too sassy, the marriage was kept hidden with the help of other conspirators, and the Pater thought his daughter ran away/went missing/kidnapped.

I was specifically looking at the terrible idea of a magus who has both Weak Spontaneous Magic and possibly Difficult Spontaneous Magic, which would effectively force him to use formulaic spells for even small magic. Probably some compulsion to push his boundaries, which leads to experimentation. Inventive Genius + Exciting Experimentation.

I definitely wanted Free Expression, and maybe Life Linked Art. Planning to use magic to enhance artwork, but not actually use Finesse to make Art. Probably not actually very social-oriented, probably without Gentle Gift.

I briefly toyed with the idea of an poet/author, but I have found I tend to aim for book-writing a lot, and would like to avoid playing Good Teacher again. Instead a painter/sculptor was my plan.

Heading out of Gauntlet, his original plan - to go to Thebes and seek out a Muse (whether a mystical one or a mortal who inspires him), seek knowledge of mystical artists and artisans (Rusticani and Sorcerous Music), and hopefully find a way for Hermetic Magic to enhance artistic pursuits even further, without forcing artists to learn Finesse. That plan gets thrown out the window when he wakes up completely in the wrong Covenant with evidence that there's a problem with his plan.

1 Like

That does remind me, I do intend to keep the improved book writing house rules from my last saga- Summae and Tractatus have a different source quality calculation than in the core game- the base source quality of a text is equal to the authors communication+3 for good teacher, +1/2 (teaching+vulgar poetry) with a bonus for craft quality of scribe, illumination, and bookbinding for magical tomes, or simply scribe and illumination for non magical tomes (bookbinding quality will aid the durability of texts in either case)

1 Like

Sure, I'd be curious to see which house rules you want to use as a whole once we get a saga thread going.

1 Like

Am interested to play.

I have an idea for a Maga named Okeannetis, she is a Tytalus with a very bizarre backstory. It seems that her Parens has found a Gifted descendant of Birna, and has sought to mold her to be a good Tytalus, in an effort to use her to divide House Bjornaer.

An interesting decision, what would be the character's goals?

Also I want to point out that I am aiming for daily postings to keep the story moving, so we are all on the same page about that.

We now have a campaign open:
SuddenSpring

I don't seem to be able to post on the forum. Here's my char's name and ambition:

Lares ex Miscellanea

Seeks to establish a tight-knit, harmonious, prosperous community – and then protect it at all cost against threats both external and internal.

You need to change your membership type to pbp_player

1 Like

Ah, thank you. I'm new to this forum, though I've played Ars a fair bit back in the day.

Still brainstorming. Will post a name and concept shortly! :slightly_smiling_face:

I would be interested in joining but I am a bit indecisive in character concepts. My two most developed ideas are:

Arkadios of Merinita
Merinita magus with strong satyr blood. Interested in binding fairies to bargains and as familiars. Maybe even trying to discover new bonds. Producer of fine pottery. Seilenoi mentor and distant relative – who seem to have vague plans for him.

What would tie to the concept would be if certain bargains and promises has been made. Tricky fairies might pretend that this is true as well. Might have pottery drawing depeicting various people, fairies and locations he has no memories of anymore. Might try to explain the situation in some weird ways connected to Arcadia and offer unique solutions. One problem is that Theban Tribunal would seem most fitting origin, but Roman could probably also work.

Silas of Verditius
Part of the confraternity of Himinis the Mad and a rather paranoid and secretive magus. Carpenter who wishes to create a truly impregnable laboratory and covenant. Specializing in Corpus.

Pros of this concepts is that it makes using whatever items he seems to have created a bit risk filled as there might be powerful curses waiting to spring upon anyone who touches them incorrectly, which is seems fun. I like the idea of a character paranoia being their own worst enemy. Negatives is that others have already suggested Verditius characters and him being a bit anti-social.

Do you guys have any preference? Two Verditius at one location can be very problematic and might fill the same roles, which might result in one or the other feeling redundant.

Generally speaking, two, or more, Magi of the same House aren't a problem, as long as each has a different focus.

For what it's worth, I thought the Companion village idea was a good one.

Here's the basic concept I'm working with, holding back the possibility of making some changes as I flesh out the character. I'm quite open to input, suggestions, and the wisdom of the troupe.

Argentius ex Verditius, an ambitious and arrogant magus and goldsmith, is determined to re-discover the inner mysteries that led to the creation of the fabled Rings of Verditius under the tutelage of Wayland Smith. The offspring of a Sidhe dalliance with a daughter of the notable Colagera family of Crete, Argentius was spirited away at birth to be raised by his father's people. Once his Gift manifested, he was bargained away to his parens, though his ties to his father's people remain intact. Argentius knows relatively little about his Colagera family, one of the notable (if not noble) houses of Crete. Besides his striking amber eyes, Argentius's strong faerie blood has blessed and cursed him with the touch of Venus (though his father's people might say he's just a rather plain Sidhe half-breed).

I'm quite open to origin Tribunal, though it would seem natural for Argentius to be from Greater Alps or the Roman Tribunal. Open to suggestions there as well.

I think I will proceed with the Verditius concept if no one is against it.

Also, and perhaps more annoyingly I think I might make him suffer from leprosy. This will of course be problematic and require more than a little explanation (e.g., why some other magi would want to have him at their covenant etc) so if someone is strongly opposed to it, I can always reconsider. But these questions can also be interesting to figure out in play and server the premise somewhat.

If you're interested in a leper, have you considered a leper magi of the Tytalus rather than a Verditius? It would seem highly unlikely to me anyone else than another leper would take such an apprentice, and of all houses, one centered on hubris is one of the most unlikely to admit a leper in their ranks, I think.