Isen Flambonis (Formerly Unamed Ice Magus)

I can't wait until we all have the damn spell and spend all day long hopping around everywhere.

Too bad nobody can teach it to Fiona :frowning:

I can put it in a ring for her.

"I told him we could go all the way, as long as he gave me a ring. This isn't quite what I meant." :laughing:

And now, so can Isen. He has a lab text, so 1 season! And this is with requisites, so you won't be naked :wink: f course, it needs to be a ring and all, but that's okay :smiley:

I thought you enchanted your talisman with it? MRB 102 says you can't use that text for anything except enchanting that specific talisman with it. Again.

https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/lab-text-restrictions/6985/1

Ah, you're right, I forgot. Thanks!
Too bad, then. Without the added edge the Talisman gives me, I can't do it, not without wasting another season for a few points, which is quite unproductive.

Double check that interpretation for me?

Ah, you were right to ask this.

As I read it, there are 3 restrictions there:

• No lesser lab text to enchant a greater device
  • No greater lab text to enchant a lesser device
  • No lab text from someone else's talisman.

So it seems you can perfectly use a lab text from your talisman to enchant one of your non-talisman devices. However, since talisman are like greater enchantments, I'd say you can't use it to make a lesser device.

So, you're saying it looks like this?

[table][tr][td][/td][td]I am Creating a...[/td][/tr][tr][td]I Have[/td][td]Lesser[/td][td]Greater[/td][td]Talisman[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lesser[/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td][td]No[/td][/tr][tr][td]Greater[/td][td]No[/td][td]Yes[/td][td]Yes[/td][/tr][tr][td]Talisman[/td][td]No[/td][td]Yes[/td][td]Yes[/td][/tr][/table]

Not to totally derail this discussion, but the fact that there is such a discussion suggests that this area needs some work, and since I can see problems down the road for lab texts with devices (maybe not this saga but others), let me propose something altogether different.

What if, instead of all this complicated discussion of what's allowed and not allowed we do it as Arya had done it for me? If you find a lab text for instilling an effect into a device (any device, regardless of shape and material and greater/lesser/talisman) it adds a bonus equal to the spell level of the effect being invested to your lab total. Now this is just for the effect, uses per day, penetration, triggers, etc are all up to the enchanting magus to do.

Exampli gratia: Tektonius was given a lab text for instilling The Leap of Homecoming into a device, in that case his talisman. The lab text granted him a +35 to his lab total (spell level).

Why I like it: it allows for a variation of the shape and material, it makes lab texts for devices rather valuable and useful (for trade) instead of nearly useless. I would still imagine that House Verditius is extremely guarded about their texts, this ruling I don't think would change any of that. It also reduces paperwork, as I no longer need to monitor what LT is for what kind of device.

Food for thought, if you guys like it, we make sure everyone has a comment on it and push it as a HR.

I'm all for this, but fair warning, I'll use the hell out of this rule.

Amul: yes, provided the other restrictions are ok, of course.

JL: I liked it at first, but here's a problem
I have Int 02, Re 05, Co 05, MT 03, Aura 03 = 18. Even with a lab text, I'm unable, by the rules, to create such an enchantment. Yet, by this rule, I can, in 2 seasons.

Even limiting the bonus to the lab total means that magi will be able to do enchantments they wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Say, lab total 30, lvl 40 enchantment and lab text => I do this in 2 seasons, whereas I couldn't before.
OOTH, it changes little if your lab total is over the required level

At second thought, I also like the fact that following the recipe is better than changing things ad hoc.

What about these:

• You must have a lab total > lab text to be able to make use of it. Else, you just can't understand it.
  • If you do the same enchantment (as per the RAW), it adds the level to your lab total
  • If you changes something, it adds level/2, as the insight granted is still useful.

/2 is a pretty powerful bonus. /5 would be more in keeping with existing rules for knowing similar spells.

If it suits you, it suits me :smiley:

Personally, I'm thinking that lab texts for devices should be, not so constrained in "it has to be exactly this, that and the other" when you instill an effect (as in, the same type of item, e.g. a cloak or broom or wand), but that it should be for the same type. Lab texts for Talismans can work for any Talisman, but not for Invested/Lesser/Charged Item. Likewise, a lab text for an Invested Item can work on any invested item, but not for Talisman/Lesser/Charged items. It seems like there are too many fundamental differences for me to justify using a lab text for instilling a Leap of the Homecoming into a Talisman to make a bracelet that's a Charged Item, say.

My opinion, but that feels more "right" to me than allowing a lab text to be open-source :smiley:.

I've just realized something.

Since coming to Mons Electi, Isen has devoted quite some time learning various rituals that would help him strengthen the covenant. He has learned Watching Ward, Rarefy the Crude Stone, and is the caster of our lvl 50 Aegis.

He has Rigid Magic. And I had totally forgotten it.

This makes no sense :frowning:

So, you have two ways to reconcile this...
Learn the spells and have them available with a plan to go into the Magic Realm at some point and transform your flaws into something related or similar to Rigid Magic (Waster of Vis is probably my preferred choice)...
Or pick new spells. You don't have to make a decision immediately and you might learn something if you wait.

Hum... It is too important both for Mons Electi and his plans for its security. The Aegis is a Huge issue, and he plans to make intensive use of watching wards, as well as of elementals, to bolster the covenant's defenses. In fact, I have most of his future going among these lines.

I can see it like he learned these, intending to go to the Magic Realm to get rid of Rigid Magic (Aye! Remember how he proposed to Fiona to go with her?), but was caught up in other things and just couldn't. So it has become a sore point, from "Must do it quickly" to "Must do it ASAP"

....does this then establish that the transformative potential of the Magic Realm is known, and malleable by human intent? That wizards know how it can change a person, and go there seeking specific changes?