Isen Flambonis (Formerly Unamed Ice Magus)

Okay
I'm not a great fan of the net grimoire, though, some spells are great but too many spells are... dodgy, IMO.
I will try not to do too much, keep them simple, and send you the MC file (You'll have to tell me how to send a file for a spell, though).

True, I have to pay attention to the spells that are there.
Think of Mons Electi as being a place where you can be allowed to finally shine. For one reason or another at your home place, you were held back to some degree. Whether that is really the case, or not, is entirely up to the player.
In some ways, spending XPs for spells is a deal, it presumes that you're doing it from a lab text. So, is it reasonable that you, being an ice magus would have a bunch of lab texts with these spells, when the Order as a whole doesn't? I'm also being pretty broad about allowing spells from books such as Magi of Hermes. It presumes that someone has shared those spells, and that's a pretty strong presumption.

True enough.
It is my bad luck that more exotic options have been considered, and not ice :laughing:

Anyway, at least from here, I want 4 spells:

• A spell to create an Ice Sword
  • An Ice wall
  • An Ice armor.
  • The raw Dagger of Ice spell

I'm repeating that. I have let a few spells come through, ones that are pretty innocuous or ones that I just flat out missed and then haven't reviewed, it's accidental. Or in Viscaria's case of The Baroque Peasant Hut I'll probably let come through, and I vaguely recall seeing something like that somewhere else. I haven't looked at all her other spells, so may need to get switched out, though. That one, though, is a 25th level spell that gets used maybe once, ever. That's flavor, and not something affecting gameplay, all that much.

Again, it's a logistics issue, in addition to a fairness issue. i'm trying to integrate new players into an existing saga, wrap up some existing scenes and progress to the next stage. When I get presented one or two spells later on during play, I have a bit more time to look at them.

Double post

[EDITED BELOW]
Okay, I understand. Books + Net Grimoire it shall be.

But, well, know that I'll probably develop a lot of spells once play begins :wink:

So, here's Isen at gauntlet:

Isen of Flambeau (Born Erik Bjornson), formerly from the Rhine Tribunal
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Pre +1, Com -2, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik +2
Size: 0
Age: 22 (22), Height: 168 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues: Affinity with Parma Magica, Puissant Finesse, Affinity with Creo, Affinity with Rego, Book Learner (Book Quality: +3), Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Magical Blood: Spirit, Minor Magical Focus (Ice)* (School of Sebastian focus), Second Sight* [From spirit blood. Note: Eyes turn totally blue], Unaging
Flaws: Ambitious, Rigid Magic, Infamous Master (Axion of Flambeau), Miles, Seeker, Social Handicap (Morose temperament) [Social Dealings: -3]
Personality Traits: Brave +3, Determined +1, Introverted +2, Protective +1, Strong-Willed +3

Reputations: Flambeau House Acclaim (Magi Flambeau) 1, Break mundane law on a daily basis (Among magi) 3

Abilities: Artes Liberales 1 (cermonial magic), Athletics 1 (running), Awareness 2 (determining effect), Brawl 1 (Fist), Code of Hermes 1 (wizards' marches), Concentration 1 (spell concentration), Etiquette 1 (nobility), Finesse 1 (targeting), Folk Ken 2 (magi), West Norse 5 (Danish), Intrigue 1 (alliances), Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Leadership 1 (intimidation), Magic Theory 3 (Rego), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (history), Parma Magica 1 (Mentem), Penetration 1 (Creo), Philosophiae 1 (ceremonial magic), Ride 1 (battle), Second Sight 1 (invisible things), Single Weapon 1 (Sword, Long) (5), Stealth 1 (shadowing), Teaching 1 (Magic Theory)

Arts: Cr 9, In 0, Mu 3, Pe 2, Re 9, An 3, Aq 7, Au 0, Co 4, He 0, Ig 1, Im 2 (4), Me 0, Te 0, Vi 0
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Aquam Spells

• Dagger of Ice (Cr(Re)Aq 10) +26, Mastery 1 (multiple casting). From Metacreator
  • Shackles of the Frozen Ice (ReAq 10) +26, Mastery 1 (fast casting). From Metacreator

Corpus Spells

• Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +16, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). From Metacreator
  • Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +9, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). From Metacreator
  • Wings of the Dove (ReCo 10) +16, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting). Move a target slowly in any direction you please, even if the target is unsupported. Taken from the spell wiki: "This spell lets the caster, of Size +1 or less, move slowly through the air, at most as fast as a walk. He can carry up to 50 pouinds of equipment with him, although this slows him accordingly, and more weight will ground him."
  • Wizard's Leap (ReCo 15) +12, Mastery 1 (fast casting). From Metacreator

Imaginem Spells

• Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +14, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). From Metacreator

Mentem Spells

• The Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) +12, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). From Metacreator
  • Confusion of the Numbed Will (ReMe 15) +12, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). From Metacreator
  • The Silent Conspiracy (CrMe 15) +12, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). Form words in another's mind. From spell wiki: While the caster concentrates, they can form words directly into the mind of anyone within sight. The target recognises your voice and knows the message is of supernatural origin. Judia of Tremere developed this spell so that she could coach or direct her consortis when he was speaking to mundanes on her behalf. Given her gift, this allowed her to remain back from the conversation, though still within earshot, whilst still having control over any terms of deals or bargains struck.

Terram Spells

• Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10) +12, Mastery 1 (multiple casting). From Metacreator

Born in the north of the Rhine tribunal, Isen was apprenticed to the infamous Axion of Flambeau (See GotF p66), and has struggled all his life to distanciate himself from his master's deeds, to no avail. This prompted him to pledge the code of Garus and join the miles, in hope that this would alleviate his bad reputation somewhat, but people still expect him to at least skirt the code on a regular basis. His morose temperament probably doesn't help either, although he doesn't realize it.
His search for recognition and curiosity for magical secrets prompted him to join the seekers, but, even there, he remains a misfit.

Edit 1: Corrected the Casting total for Wizard's Leap, since I had forgotten Animal, Herbam and Terram Casting requisites :blush:
Edit 2: Shifted some characteristics around

So, 30*40 = 1200XP
Abilities 565 + Arts 440 + Spells 30 + Laboratory 120 + Spell Masteries 75

=> ABILITIES (+535XP)
Artes Liberales +45XP to lvl 4(50)
Awareness +15XP to level 3(30)
Finesse +45XP to level 4 (50)
Leadership +10XP to level 2 (15)
Magic Theory +75XP to level 6 (105)
Parma Magica +180XP to level 10 (183 *1.5 = 275XP)
Penetration +10XP to level 2 (15)
Philosophiae +25XP to level 3 (30)
Ride +10XP to level 2 (15)
Second Sight +25XP to level 3 (30)
Single Weapon +95XP to level 6 (105)

=> ARTS (+440XP)
Creo +97XP to level 18 (127 1.5 = 191)
Intellego +3XP to level 02 (03)
Muto +30XP to level 08 (36)
Perdo +18XP to level 06 (21)
Rego +124XP to level 21 (154
1.5 = 231)
Animal +09XP to level 05 (15)
Aquam +63XP to level 13 (91)
Auram +10XP to level 04 (10)
Corpus +26XP to level 08 (36)
Herbam +15XP to level 05 (15)
Ignem +14XP to level 05 (15)
Imaginem +1XP to level 02 (05)
Mentem +10XP to level 04 (10)
Terram +10XP to level 04 (10)
Vim +10XP to level 04 (10)

=> SPELLS (30XP)
Seven League Stride ReCo(An, He, Te) 30, Mastery 1 (Stalwart Casting)

=> LABORATORY ACTIVITIES (12 seasons, thus 120XP)

• Prepare Talisman for Enchantment
  • Attune Talisman
  • Find Familiar
  • Bind Familiar
  • Increase Talisman Vis Capacity
  • Invest Talisman with Maintaining the Demanding Spell, attune Jade + 4 Aquam
  • Invest Talisman with Ward Against Heat and Flames, Attune Jewelry + 4 Protect Self
  • Invest Talisman with Wizard’s Ward versus Steel Weapons, Attune Amber +3 Corpus
  • Invest Talisman with Greater Cleansing of the Festering Wounds (From Jormungand), Attune Mercury +5 Muto
  • Invest Talisman with Endurance of the Berserkers, attune Basalt +3 perdo
  • Invest Talisman with Sword of the Winter Knight (First season) (From SpellWiki), attune Magnet + 4 Rego Corpus
  • Invest Talisman with Sword of the Winter Knight (Second season), Attune Magnet + 4 Rego Terram

=> SPELL MASTERIES (75XP)

• +35XP to Dagger of Ice x2 = 70XP to level 5 (75)
  • +05XP to Wizard's Leap x2 = 10XP to level 2 (15)
  • +35XP to Invisible Sling of Vilano x2 = 70XP to level 5 (75)

Isen (Erik Bjornson)
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Pre +1, Com -2, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik +2
Size: 0
Age: 51 (25), Height: 175 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0 (1)
Warping Score: 1 (7,5)
Confidence: 1 (3)

• Virtues: Affinity with Parma Magica, True Friend (Familiar) (Bonus: +3 to appropriate Personality Traits), Affinity with Creo, Affinity with Rego,
    Puissant Finesse, Book Learner (Book Quality: +3), Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Magical Blood: Spirit, Minor Magical Focus (Ice)
    (School of Sebastian), Rigid Magic, Infamous Master, Miles, Seeker, Social Handicap (Morose temperament) [Social Dealings: -3]
    Personality Traits: Brave +3, Loyal (Familiar) +3, Determined +1, Introverted +2, Protective +1, Strong-Willed +3
    Reputations: Flambeau House Acclaim (Magi Flambeaux) 1, Cold-Blooded Killer (Among magi) 3

Abilities: Artes Liberales 4 (cermonial magic), Athletics 1 (running), Awareness 3 (determining effect), Brawl 1 (Fist), Code of Hermes 1 (wizards' marches),
Concentration 1 (spell concentration), Etiquette 1 (nobility), Finesse 4+2 (targeting), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Intrigue 1 (alliances), Latin 4 (hermetic usage),
Leadership 1 (intimidation), Magic Theory 6 (Rego), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (history), Parma Magica 10 (Mentem), Penetration 2 (Creo), Philosophiae 3
(ceremonial magic), Ride 2 (battle), Second Sight 3 (invisible things), Single Weapon 6 (Sword, Long), Stealth 1 (shadowing), Teaching 1 (Magic Theory),
West Norse 5 (Danish), Z - Lab work 6 (25)

Arts: Cr 19, In 2, Mu 8, Pe 6, Re 21, An 5, Aq 13, Au 4, Co 8, He 5, Ig 5, Im 2, Me 4, Te 4, Vi 4

Jade Imperium (Creator: Isen (Erik Bjornson)
A jade ring, forged through Muto and Rego magics, with streams of basalt, magnet and mercury all converging to ensnare a glowing Amber gem.
Created: Winter 1211
Talisman.
Attunements: Jade + 4 aquam, Jewelry + 4 protect self, Basalt +3 Perdo, Amber + 3 corpus, Magnet + 4 Rego Corpus, Mercury +5 Muto, Magnet + 4 Rego Terram
Vis Capacity: 34; Total Pawns Invested: 21
Total Effect Level: 182

• Effect Name: Maintaining the Demanding Spell
    Effect Level: 31
    Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, +6 Frequency: 50/day, +5 Maintains Concentration
    Like the normal spell, with a different (but same magnitude) duration. This is used to maintain concentration spells cast by Isen or the talisman, of level 20 or below.
    Arts: ReVi 20; Design: Base 10, +1 Conc, +1 Touch
  • Effect Name: Ward Against Heat and Flames
    Effect Level: 26
    Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, +6 Frequency: 50/day
    Like the normal spell, but with Concentration Duration.
    Arts: ReIg 20; Design: Base 4, +1 Conc, +1 Touch, +2 for +15 damage
  • Effect Name: Wizard’s Ward versus Steel Weapons
    Effect Level: 26
    Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, +6 Frequency: 50/day
    From the spell wiki, with Concentration Duration: This spell grants a +15 Soak against metal weapons. Attacks that inflict less damage than that are deflected away.
    (Note: As this uses the "Keep metal or gemstone away from you, under your conscious control", it seems logical to me that this works only on attacks the caster is aware of)
    Arts: ReTe 20; Design: Base 4, +1 Conc, +1 Touch, +2 for additionnal +10 soak
  • Effect Name: Greater Cleansing of the Festering Wounds
    Effect Level: 25
    Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, +5 Frequency: 24/day
    Taken from Jormungand spelllist (so I assume it to be okayed), but with Concentration duration.
    Give a character a +15 bonus to Recovery rolls
    Arts: CrCo 20; Design: Base 10, +1 Conc, +1 Touch
  • Effect Name: Sword of the Winter Knight
    Effect Level: 49
    Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, Frequency: 12/day; Penetration: 60
    From the SpellWiki, but with Concentration duration: Conjure a longsword made of unnatural ice, which is as hard as steel. The sword only lasts for two minutes — about 20 combat rounds — but that is usually long enough to defend oneself in a single skirmish. The magically created sword must penetrate in order to harm opponents who have Magic Resistance. Note that creating artificial things with magic requires an Intelligence + Finesse roll, as noted on page 77 of ArM5. An Ease Factor of 6 is sufficient to make a sword of mediocre, but serviceable, workmanship.
    The Terram requisite ensures the sword's durability.
    Arts: CrAq 15; Design: Base 3, +1 Conc, +1 Touch, +1 Unnatural Shape + 1 Requisite
  • Effect Name: Endurance of the Berserkers; Effect Level: 25
    Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, Frequency: 24/day
    As the normal spell, with Concentration duration
    Arts: ReCo 20; Design: Base 10, +1 Conc, +1 Touch)

Fist: Init +2, Atk +3, Dfn +4, Dam +0
Kick: Init +1, Atk +2, Dfn +2, Dam +3
Dodge: Init +2, Atk /, Dfn +3, Dam /
Sword: Init +3, Atk +12, Dfn +10, Dam +6

Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Spells Known:

• Dagger of Ice (Cr(Re)Aq 10) +51, Mastery 5 (multiple casting, fast casting, quick casting *2, penetration)
  • Shackles of the Frozen Ice (ReAq 10) +49, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
  • Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +29, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +15, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • Seven-League Stride (ReCo(AnHeTe) 30) +28, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • Wings of the Dove (ReCo 10) +31, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting). Move a target slowly in any direction you please, even if the target is unsupported.
    Taken from the spell wiki: "This spell lets the caster, of Size +1 or less, move slowly through the air, at most as fast as a walk. He can carry up to 50
    pouinds of equipment with him, although this slows him accordingly, and more weight will ground him."
  • Wizard's Leap (ReCo(AnHeTeAq) 15) +29, Mastery 2 (stalwart casting, fast casting)
  • Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (MuAn 15) +15, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +25, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • The Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) +27, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • Confusion of the Numbed Will (ReMe 15) +27, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
  • The Silent Conspiracy (CrMe 15) +25, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting). Form words in another's mind. From spell wiki: While the caster concentrates, they can
    form words directly into the mind of anyone within sight. The target recognises your voice and knows the message is of supernatural origin.
    Judia of Tremere developed this spell so that she could coach or direct her consortis when he was speaking to mundanes on her behalf. Given her gift, this
    allowed her to remain back from the conversation, though still within earshot, whilst still having control over any terms of deals or bargains struck.
  • Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10) +34, Mastery 5 (multiple casting, Stalwart Casting, Precise Casting*3)

Helest, familiar
A black horse, whose crest and hoofs sprout a blue, cold flame
Characteristics: Int 0, Per +1, Pre +1, Com -3, Str +5, Sta +3, Dex +1, Qik 0
Size: 2
Magic Might: 10
Cord Scores: Gold +1, Silver +1, Bronze +3
Important skills: Magic Theory (enchanting items) 4 (50)

EDIT: Had listed puissant finesse but had not written the +2 in the skill...
EDIT: I realised that, due to my shifting some characteristics around between original and final (see above), some totals were wrong. Corrected everything (AFAIK)

Under what mechanics did you determine your familiar to be Might 10? I'm trying to follow along here, but there's been so much revision...

Well, I just took the (IIRC) suggested guidelines in RoP: Magic: Companion-level character, average saga power level.

But (In my opinion), even if I'm right, unless someone objects, don't change anything (unless you feel like it, for exemple in order for your familiar to be less penalized in the XP he gains)! Your familiar is cool as it is :smiley:

As you're about to see, I'm deep in fact-checking mode, is all. I picked 15 from the same table...

So, for 1221:
20XP
18 in terram: Terram 7 (28)
2 in Intellego: Intellego 2 (5)

And settles a lab.
How do we manage to have boons and hooks non-covered by rules, such as features?

IIRC, all magic animals/companions start at 10 and are adjusted for size. Pecess, Jacques's crow familiar is size -3 so his magic might is 13. Your hourse is +2 size so it's STARTING magic might is 8. You can buy virtues to increase it.

Not sure I understand this? Are you talking about a feature being present at Mons Electi with your 75 bps? That would be a no. Are you asking how much it will cost to install or create a feature? I believe the silver cost for bps can be calculated, and then there would likely be some stories related to it... Can you be specific with what you have in mind?

In case i haven't mentioned it publicly... I'm waving the rule for familiars to consume vis to learn. There is enough give and take there already. It's completely stupid, IMO. It makes sense for magical beings who are and will remain immortal, but that no longer applies to familiars...

Fo some reason, my previous post on this subject is not showing up ( even though it appears to be there) so...

IIRC, all magic animals/companions start at 10 and are adjusted for size. Pecess, Jacques's crow familiar is size -3 so his magic might is 13. Your hourse is +2 size so it's STARTING magic might is 8. You can buy virtues to increase it.

@Jebrick: Forgot about the might adjustment, but you're right, thanks. I gotta design it (and I know what I want!), but so many things to do, so little time

Pardon me, boons/hooks isn't the right word for the labs. I meant laboratory virtues and flaws.

The second one.
I have nothing specific in mind at the moment, but, conversely, Isen just has a bland, generic laboratory for now, which is dull.
So I'm asking in fact how to customize "in game" a lab with rules from Covenants, especially for the more exotic virtues and features (like, there's a botomless pit somewhere IIRC).

I think I've handed out as many labs as Apollodorus can reasonably expect to do, and unless the covenant as a whole authorizes the expenditure[1] for new magi to have full developed labs, then you start with space for a +1 size lab. This isn't as bad as it might seem as there is someone who knows The Laboratory of Bonisagus.

So, you build your lab from ground up over two seasons. Installing virtues takes 1 season for minor and 2 for major. Refine/expand your lab as you desire. If one of use thinks that there needs to be a story, then there will be one. Talk to me about supernatural virtues you'd like via PM. Does that settle it?

[1]chicoazian did have a pretty well customized lab to start, that strained my generosity. He will be paying for it at some point.

Perfectly well.
I had understood the size +1 and all, and it seemed logical to me that this was a basic lab, but I wanted to know how to add things, which you've answered.

Picture! (you can click on it)

EDIT: Created a Wiki page, on which I've begun noting sigil effects for Isen's spells :smiley:

So, for the 75BPs...

Figured I might as well have some vis, especially as my bad luck on this continues (3 sagas, not a book/vis on my arts :laughing: )
So:

• Vis Source (20BPs): Seal Ring of an Ancient King. When placed into a magical Aura, it shed golden tears each winter. These can be harvested for Rego Vis, one for each level of Aura strength, to a maximum of 4 pawns of Rego Vis.
  • Summa on Aquam (31BPs): The Call of the Deep, by Thul of Merinita. Q11 lvl 20
  • Lab Text (05BPs): Eyes of the Eagle (InIm 25).
  • Lab Text (10BPs): Rarefy the Crude Water (CrAq50): As the regular spell, but up to size +12 - might 35 elemental

That's 66 BPs

Will have to think about the rest. I think we've got enough specialists, so it'll be either vis stocks, enchanted items or lab texts.
Would a lvl45 aegis be useful, or do we have one high enough?

EDIT:

• Vis stock (01BP): 5 pawns of Rego Vis
  • Lab Text (8BPs): Watching Ward, lvl 40. May be quite useful, despite the high cost.

I wonder how that Vis source will react to being in a Rego-Aligned aura?

Is Isen secretive about any of this stuff? Particularly the summa?

Don't forget to add it all to the wiki!