Lands of the Nile

My store still doesn't have it :frowning:

Mine hasn't arrived either, but then, I'm in europe :-/

My store called me to pick mine up last Wednesday. I got it yesterday.

It's out (at least if The Source is you local game store... OK I just wanted to let people know it was out. This post looks like I'm boasting about my proximity to Atlas. I don't mean that. It's out someplace. that is all :blush: ).

Got an email from Amazon, mine just got shipped; should be here by Christmas

Did you receive shipping confirmation from Atlas on your comps this time around?

EDIT: Never mind, just got shipping confirmation email... :blush:

I have my contributor copies in hand!

-Ben.

It arrived here a couple days ago. I hope nobody still feels restrained from discussing it. I haven't had time to look at it enough to say anything meaningful yet myself.

CJ has his playtest copy in hand, UK distributors claim to get it in stock this week so hopefully not long now.

Just ordered my copy from IGUK. That was listed as the last in stock though.

Does that mean IGUK only ordered one or two copies in? Sounds about right. Another member of my gaming group has ordered one from Leisure Games, so I'll see how long it takes for delivery before I order a copy.

Has anyone read it and felt inspired?

Yes. But that was the playtest manuscript. Haven't read the final version yet, only got it a few days ago :wink:

I guess I'll get mý copy on Sunday then?

Yes...I took my "Blemeye priests in the temple of Isis at Philae" campaign idea and sold it to Cubicle 7 for "All of Time and Space".

Ben has a book which spins off the North Africa / Nile research too.

This has been an awesome process. Seriously, though, there are at least two obvious books you could write out of the Nile core research for Ars. We need to get our act together on the Soninke stuff...

Yes, I helped write Southlands from Kobold Press, where I got to use a lot of the research. And I would second Timothy's note about the Soninke stuff.

-Ben.

Hi,

Got mine yesterday.

Read parts, skimmed other parts, have yet to reach the rest.

The whole treasure thing had me grinning. Too many pharaohs. Smash those priceless archaeological treasures; God will make more. Adventurer's guilds. The sultan paying for random benefits. So much more. Who wouldn't want an Egyptian saga?

The section on shame and reputation is almost perfect, useful even for understanding today's Middle East, and some other cultures too. (If I get robbed, I might well prefer not only to deny that I have been robbed, but to put on a great show of friendship with the guy who robbed me and to persecute the guy who accused the robber and wants to bring him to justice, because my reputation will take a hit for being a victim of robbery but I will look good defending the innocent fellow 'falsely' accused.)

The lack of bibliography had me frowning. Saying that there is an overabundance of source material for ancient Egypt is well and good, but not providing any pointers to the less prevalent material that was used for medieval Egypt makes it difficult to use this book as a starting point rather than a stopping point. (Of course, maybe that is appropriate, given that one of the complaints against Maimonides (who lived the last part of his life in Egypt) is that he did not cite his sources....)

Not a bad way to end the edition.

Anyway,

Ken

Got my pick-up slip for the post office today, but probably won't be able to get it till next week... :frowning:

Dies Irae is still to come.

Ah. I'm sure that too won't be a bad way to end the edition!

For me, the core book of significance was "Egyptology: the missing millennium" by Okasha el-Daly. It's a history of Egyptology as practiced between the C7th and C16th. I also looked through some of Ibn Battuta and "Manual of Egyptian Archaeology and Guide to the Study of Antiquities in Egypt" by Maspero. Some of the plot hooks come from "Tales form the papyrii" translated by Flinders-Petrie. There was a heap of other little stuff, rounding out one place or another.

Hi,

Thanks!

Anyway,

Ken