Lares ex Miscellanea

Lares ex Miscellanea
updated partly through spring 1290

Lares is a shortish, stout, inelegant, unusually hairy man. His demeanor is deferential or respectful to most, but it takes on fatherly tones with those he considers his dependants.

Lares grew up in the covenant of Roznov in the Rhine Tribunal as the child of a covenfolk maid. The covenant required pedantic, selfless service – cataloging books, taking diction, and so on. Sometimes they would even task him with what seemed like meaningless puzzles under needless duress. Lares would later cherish these lessons, which proved essential to his style of magic.

Lares’ parens, Avia, adopted him as an apprentice after his Gift bloomed as a teenager. Having finally adopted him into the Domovyki family as a full apprentice, Avia devoted extensive and loving attention to Lares. She fostered his flexible and intimate, even corporeal connection with magic, resulting in an unusual but versatile skillset emphasizing magical control.

The covenant’s loremaster, Albrecht, was assigned as Lares’ guardian and tutor. Albrecht accompanied him at all times, and Avia purposefully crafted escapades that would let the two grow close.

One such escapade to the East ended poorly. All of Lares’ companions, including Albrecht, were slain by a cabal of hedge magicians. Only the intervention of Albrecht’s apparition saved Lares. The assailants cursed Lares with lycanthropy, however. Due to the unknown nature of the curse, Avia has been unable to reverse it.

Life at Roznov was never entirely to Lares’ liking. In particular, he detested the harsh treatment of Igor Rastvan’s slaves. He could not understand how Avia could ignore their suffering just because she did not consider them part of her family.

By his gauntlet in 1187 at age 29, Lares had decided to leave the injustices of Roznov behind. He wanted to establish a collective of his own on a sounder basis.

Stats

Characteristics: Int +3, Per 0, Pre 0, Com 0, Str 0, Sta +3, Dex -3, Qik +1

Size: 0

Age: 29 (29), Height: 158 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Male

Decrepitude: 0

Warping Score: 0 (0)

Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws:
The Gift, Hermetic Magus

Minor virtues: Affinity with Vim, Minor Magical Focus (Control Spells [sustain, suppress, conduct, or contain spell, excludes e.g. warding and vis transfers]), Subtle Magic, Quiet Magic, Skilled Parens, Life Boost, Cautious Sorcerer

Major hermetic virtue: Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic

From tradition: Imbued with the Spirit of Vim, Ghostly Warder, Difficult Longevity Ritual

Flaws: Covenant Upbringing, Hermetic Patron (Domovyki), Bound Magic, Lycanthrope (Bear, Soak: +3), Compassionate, No Sense of Direction

Personality Traits: Hard-working +2, Compassionate +3, Dutiful +2, Protective +1

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1, Attack --, Defense +4, Damage --

Fist: Init: +1, Attack -1, Defense +3, Damage +0

Kick: Init: +0, Attack -1, Defense +2, Damage +3

Soak: +3

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious

Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities:

Ability specialy score invested xp
High German [Bavarian] (Expansive vocabulary) 5 0
Artes Liberales (ceremonial magic) 1 5
Athletics (running) 1 5
Awareness (alertness) 2 15
Brawl (Dodge) 2 15
Berber (Tuareg) 2 17
Chamberlain (covenfolk relations) 1 5
Code of Hermes (tribunal procedures) 1 5
Concentration (spell concentration) 3 30
Finesse (casting speed) 1 5
Folk Ken (magi) 1 5
Latin (hermetic usage) 5 75
Leadership (grogs) 2 15
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 3 30
Order of Hermes Lore (politics) 1 5
Parma Magica (Ignem) 1 5
Penetration (Mentem) 1 5
Philosophiae (ceremonial magic) 1 5
Ride (not falling off) 1 5
Scribe (copying) 1 5
Steward (covenfolk relations) 0 2
Swim (not drowning) 1 5
Steward 1 5
Chamberlain 0 3

Arts

Art level points Art level points Art level points
Creo 5 15 Animal 5 15 Ignem 2 3
Muto 5 17 Aquam 3 6 Imaginem 3 6
Intelligo 5 15 Aurum 3 6 Mentem 7 28
Rego 10 60 Corpus 4 10 Terram 3 6
Perdo 5 15 Herbem 2 3 Vim 10 62

Spells Known:
Maintaining the Demanding Spell (ReVi 25) +33
Opening the Intangible Tunnel (ReVi 25) +33
The Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) +21, Mastery 1 (multiple)
Unravelling the Fabric of Vim (PeVi 15) +18
Ring of Warding Against Spirits (ReMe 15) +20
Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork (ReVi 25) +33
Aura of Rightful Authority (ReMe 20) +20
Circle of Beast Warding (ReAn 5) +18
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +16
Aegis of the Hearth (ReVi 30) +23
Wizard's Vigil (MuVi25) +18
Moon of spell Maintenance (ReVi45) +33
Endurance of the Berserkers (ReCo15) +17

The Domovyki tradition, Ex Miscellanea

The Domovyki are a tradition of domestically-oriented magi that traces its lineage to Rod, the god of the family, ancestors, and fate. Its members value industriousness and loyalty above all else, and seek to inculcate deep ties of obligation in both members and other covenfolk. These ties even continue in death: the tradition’s rituals ensure that ghosts of covenfolk adopt living members as proteges, and are accorded great respect by the living in return. This imbues the recipient with an empowering spiritual taint that some creatures of magic perceive as abhorrent. The taint also interferes with longevity rituals and thus hastens the demise of Domovyki magi. They themselves, however, tend to consider this a benefit, seeing as it lets them join their venerated ancestors in servitude.

Lab texts:
Level 30 Aegis of the hearth
Level 25 Wizard's Vigil

Seeks to establish a tight-knit, harmonious, prosperous community – and then protect it at all cost against threats both external and internal.

And build on this- character and backstory

A fourth draft of the character and his tradition.

Lares ex Miscellanea

Lares is a shortish, stout, inelegant, unusually hairy man. His demeanor is deferential or respectful to most, but it takes on fatherly tones with those he considers his dependants.

Lares grew up in the covenant of Roznov in the Rhine Tribunal as the child of a covenfolk maid. The covenant required pedantic, selfless service – cataloging books, taking diction, and so on. Sometimes they would even task him with what seemed like meaningless puzzles under needless duress. Lares would later cherish these lessons, which proved essential to his style of magic.

Lares’ parens, Avia, adopted him as an apprentice after his Gift bloomed as a teenager. Having finally adopted him into the Domovyki family as a full apprentice, Avia devoted extensive and loving attention to Lares. She fostered his flexible and intimate, even corporeal connection with magic, resulting in an unusual but versatile skillset emphasizing magical control.

The covenant’s loremaster, Albrecht, was assigned as Lares’ guardian and tutor. Albrecht accompanied him at all times, and Avia purposefully crafted escapades that would let the two grow close.

One such escapade to the East ended poorly. All of Lares’ companions, including Albrecht, were slain by a cabal of hedge magicians. Only the intervention of Albrecht’s apparition saved Lares. The assailants cursed Lares with lycanthropy, however. Due to the unknown nature of the curse, Avia has been unable to reverse it.

Life at Roznov was never entirely to Lares’ liking. In particular, he detested the harsh treatment of Igor Rastvan’s slaves. He could not understand how Avia could ignore their suffering just because she did not consider them part of her family.

By his gauntlet in 1187 at age 29, Lares had decided to leave the injustices of Roznov behind. He wanted to establish a collective of his own on a sounder basis.

Stats

Characteristics: Int +3, Per 0, Pre 0, Com 0, Str 0, Sta +3, Dex -3, Qik +1

Size: 0

Age: 29 (29), Height: 158 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Male

Decrepitude: 0

Warping Score: 0 (0)

Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws:
The Gift, Hermetic Magus

Minor virtues: Affinity with Vim, Minor Magical Focus (Control Spells [sustain, suppress, conduct, or contain spell, excludes e.g. warding and vis transfers]), Subtle Magic, Quiet Magic, Skilled Parens, Life Boost, Cautious Sorcerer

Major hermetic virtue: Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic

From tradition: Imbued with the Spirit of Vim, Ghostly Warder, Difficult Longevity Ritual

Flaws: Covenant Upbringing, Hermetic Patron (Domovyki), Bound Magic, Lycanthrope (Bear, Soak: +3), Compassionate, No Sense of Direction

Personality Traits: Hard-working +2, Compassionate +3, Dutiful +2, Protective +1

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1, Attack --, Defense +4, Damage --

Fist: Init: +1, Attack -1, Defense +3, Damage +0

Kick: Init: +0, Attack -1, Defense +2, Damage +3

Soak: +3

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious

Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities:
Artes Liberales 1 (cermonial magic)
Athletics 1 (running)
Awareness 2 (alertness)
Brawl 2 (Dodge)
Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures)
Concentration 3 (spell concentration)
Finesse 1 (casting speed)
Folk Ken 1 (magi)
High German [Bavarian] 5 (Expansive vocabulary)
Latin 5 (hermetic usage)
Leadership 2 (grogs)
Magic Theory 3 (inventing spells)
Order of Hermes Lore 1 (politics)
Parma Magica 1 (Ignem)
Penetration 1 (Mentem)
Philosophiae 1 (ceremonial magic)
Ride 1 (not falling off)
Scribe 1 (copying)
Swim 1 (not drowning)

Arts: Cr 5, In 5, Mu 5, Pe 5, Re 10, An 5, Aq 3, Au 3, Co 4, He 2, Ig 2, Im 3, Me 7, Te 3, Vi 10

Spells Known:
Maintaining the Demanding Spell (ReVi 25) +33
Opening the Intangible Tunnel (ReVi 25) +33
The Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) +21, Mastery 1 (multiple)
Unravelling the Fabric of Vim (PeVi 15) +18
Ring of Warding Against Spirits (ReMe 15) +20
Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork (ReVi 25) +33
Aura of Rightful Authority (ReMe 20) +20
Circle of Beast Warding (ReAn 5) +18
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +16

The Domovyki tradition, Ex Miscellanea

The Domovyki are a tradition of domestically-oriented magi that traces its lineage to Rod, the god of the family, ancestors, and fate. Its members value industriousness and loyalty above all else, and seek to inculcate deep ties of obligation in both members and other covenfolk. These ties even continue in death: the tradition’s rituals ensure that ghosts of covenfolk adopt living members as proteges, and are accorded great respect by the living in return. This imbues the recipient with an empowering spiritual taint that some creatures of magic perceive as abhorrent. The taint also interferes with longevity rituals and thus hastens the demise of Domovyki magi. They themselves, however, tend to consider this a benefit, seeing as it lets them join their venerated ancestors in servitude.

20 is exceptionally old to begin apprenticeship, especially if he was recruited as a young boy- technically any magus could have claimed him as an apprentice during that time, and certainly would have.
Additionally I have placed 1170 as the earliest someone could have gauntleted, and while this character technically meets this date he does so as an exceptionally old apprentice in a tradition which has problems with longevity rituals- I have not stated the starting date of the game, but this could be an issue.
as a note- making the spirit of vim and ghostly warder art of your tradition implies that all magi of the tradition have such an ancestral partner, which is fine, but should be written that way to match the mechanics.

Great points, thanks.

Would it work for you if I rewrote his backstory such that he was the child of a covenfolk whose Gift only awoke at a late age, after which was apprenticed?

The other points should be easy to work in.

That would be fine, but keep in mind that an apprenticeship should be opened between the age of 6 and 14.

I have revised the earlier draft post according to your suggestions.

I changed the tradition's description to emphasize that the ghostly warden goes to every magus by some magical means.

I changed the age and year of gauntlet, also reducing experience accordingly (mainly by lowering concentration).

I rewrote the life story to reflect the fact that his Gift bloomed as a teenager, after which he was apprenticed.

You are about 8 points over your age.

383 of those points are in things which you could only learn after starting your apprenticeship, for which you only have 300 points, and maximum parma on completing your gauntlet is 1.

Good catch on the parma, I'll fix it.

First, though:

Could it be that you didn't notice the Covenant Upbringing? That's 75 exp to Latin and 5 to Order of Hermes Lore, which may be taken prior to apprenticeship.

I don't understand where the 8 point difference comes from. Everything seems right to me.

I made the character with Metacreator. Here's a shot of my screen, it seems like all the xp totals add up to even numbers, so I don't know where the 8 could be coming from. Could it be that I've made a mistake copypasting the printout or something? I'll try to look into it more, but see if you could figure it out at your end.

I now went through my post line-for-line, comparing it with the metacreator shot given above, and I'm pretty sure the 8 point difference must be in "your end". Could it be, for instance, that you didn't notice the affinity to vim? That gives me 18 xp, so seems like a likely culprit.

I hadn't been counting the order of hermes lore as unavailable, that puts it at 8 points unavailable from before apprenticeship, meaning you have 308 points in abilities and arts which should only have been taken post apprenticeship.
What I had missed was the vim affinity.
Which is 18 points difference...
You still have 10 points left to spend or you can drop 5 points and be a year younger.

Great, seems we are on the same page, then. I have now edited as agreed, I lowered the parma and invested the 10xp into hiking finesse from 1 to 2.

I think Lares is done, if you don't have any further notes.

Should I start looking at the ghost, or how are we going to handle that? If so, what might and season? I was thinking of basing it on the loremaster template in Covenants.

This still leaves you 10 points more to spend

You sure? I think not; I only had the extra 10 xp assuming the lower parma. Here's a shot of the metacreator, again, showing that it should be right now. I can't get the stupid program to export the numbers with xp, unfortunately.

You have 250 points in abilities
You have 220 points in arts
Metacreator and I agree on these points.
You should have 45 points for early childhood, 135 points for later life, and 300 points for apprenticeship.
Which comes to 480 points

also as I mentioned to another player, spells should all be from the books, not custom.

Additionally you cannot have the perpetual spell since this exceeds your ability to learn

Wow, you're right! Metacreator was somehow summing the ability points up incorrectly in the main window - compare windows top left and middle down. I added another level of artes liberales, now it should finally be right. Thanks for the patience!

I'll have to redo the spells completely in that case - I'll try to get it done ASAP.

My first rule of character creation, regardless of the system- never trust metacreator.

1 Like

Could it be that you added Spell Mastery 1 to two spells? that would account for the missing 10 XP, and Metacreator doesn't show it.

If so it also has not been included in what is posted on this thread, which is the basis for the charater, not the hidden mysteries of metacreator.

Itzhak was right, I had spell masteries that didn't show in the ability list (they were marked on the spell list, but no wonder neither of us noticed).

I've now updated the draft post. I changed the spells so that all of them are vanilla. To do that, I had to ditch one mastery (so now only 5 xp are in masteries, for The Call to Slumber). I also had to raise Mentem a bit, to get all the totals up to snuff - for that, I had to lower some abilities.

Would it be OK for me update Lares' ambition to include "Invent a spell to further extend the duration of his spontaneous spells"?

I'll also attach the usual metacreator shot here, maybe that makes it a bit easier for you to calculate the totals.

Virtues, Flaws, and characteristics are unchanged.