Let's make apprentice created enchantments

This pair of items were originally created for a covenant in the highlands of Scotland, where the covenfolk (in complete defiance of history) wore plaids. They would work just as well for cloaks, though.

I'm kind of proud of this pair of items: my magus created them as a demonstration of Doing Cool Things Despite Terrible Relevant Arts. The covenfolk loved us for them.

1 Like

To get unlimited uses per day out of a level 15 enchantment is pretty cool.

No charged devices yet so here:

The Axe description has a typo of CrIg instead if CrHe.

Yes it did, thanks for pointing that out. I was rather hoping you in particular would deign to write up a few items for us. I enjoy your blog so much.

Ha! I was just skimming the spell guidelines thinking of a few items. You know me too well.
The trick is to have items that are thematically appropriate for apprentice characters.

Creo Aquam looks all alone up there.

The guideline for this effect reads as follows "Create a corrosive substance doing +(Level) damage. Increasing the range to more than Touch is a very good idea." I'm wondering if duration momentary is sufficient. Might the corrosive substance be gone before it has a chance to actually corrode anything?

One obvious item that "borrows" from existing sources.

1 Like

Yes, I've previously thought that a device like this, or casting tablets for the spell, would have to exist for the game to work as presented. It's very apprentice appropriate.

Cheers

1 Like

I'd wager that bronze charm is in the shape of a mirror with a tiny little reflective surface so our apprentice can get a shape bonus for it.

Unless you're like me and think the purpose of the shape and material rules is to encourage the creation of devices that make thematic sense, a charm placed upon a door to hide it makes sense, a mirror less so.

The rego imaginem guidelines don't address controling volume.... but they should.

Edit: I see Aurelentus from Magi of Hermes did this with Perdo at base 3. I'm judging that putting a cap on volume is equivelent to moving the sounds 5 paces away (out of the room), is that too low?

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

We've traditionally done these as wands. But yeah, they really do need to exist.

Note: in the design I used the PeVi base akin to the anti-teleportation effects from cannon which use level +4 mags in their design, selected a level 10 effect base, and then subtracted two mags for Touch & Diameter. Kind of the same as selecting level 0. I am not certain this calc is legitimate. My intent is to protect against FBotSL.

1 Like

This one has been done many times but I really like it as a covenant improvement device, and very low level.

It may be my strong, strong dislike for that anti-teleportation effect, but I do see two "technical" problems with the effect as written, and possibly a third.

1. the types of magic the effect dispels against are a bit vague. Does magic that tortures the target into telling the truth, like the infamous "TickleTruth Cantrip", get dispelled? Does magic that makes the target forget he should not be telling the truth? Does magic that reads the mind of the target, like FBotSL? The answer to this last question would in fact seem a clear-cut no: FBotSL does not force the target to tell the truth, it simply detects lies.

2. what is the target of the effect? At T:Ind it is obviously an individual spell (and at T:Touch the device user must be able to sense said spell to affect it). The oh-so-hated ward against teleportation works by affecting a Room, which the caster can then perceive even if he does not perceive the contents. A T:Circle effect would sidestep the problem in a similar fashion. But not a T:Ind spell.

3. FBotSL is not meant to be used surreptitiously: the target sees the large clouds of mist billowing from his mouth just like the caster. So, in general, the target knows he is undergoing a "truth test", and if a magus protected by the Code must be willing to submit to it. Then, it is relatively straightforward to first check for the absence of active protective magics on him, with his permission.

Note that the first two issues are about whether the effect is "legal", while the third is about whether it's "useful".

There is enough pts to say this item has problems. Scrap it for this list then.

On Pt1 I agree. The wording should be more like “supernatural effects which probe the mind of the warded person to determine truth or falsehood”

On Pt2 Thank you for pointing that out, that lack of target and also trying to use R:Touch on a spell. However I was thinking that this is more like a personal ward which has a RaW example to draw from: Ward Against Heat and Flame (ReIg25), p143. Is a R:Touch/T:Ind ward.

I can’t rationalise why the spell is Pe instead of Re though - so a Technique change would be needed anyway?

On Pt3 - this is a device for an apprentice or covenant use so the “asking permission” isn’t really a show stopper. This device would be used in the wild. Fair point though.