Let's make apprentice created enchantments

The rego imaginem guidelines don't address controling volume.... but they should.

Edit: I see Aurelentus from Magi of Hermes did this with Perdo at base 3. I'm judging that putting a cap on volume is equivelent to moving the sounds 5 paces away (out of the room), is that too low?

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

We've traditionally done these as wands. But yeah, they really do need to exist.

Note: in the design I used the PeVi base akin to the anti-teleportation effects from cannon which use level +4 mags in their design, selected a level 10 effect base, and then subtracted two mags for Touch & Diameter. Kind of the same as selecting level 0. I am not certain this calc is legitimate. My intent is to protect against FBotSL.

1 Like

This one has been done many times but I really like it as a covenant improvement device, and very low level.

It may be my strong, strong dislike for that anti-teleportation effect, but I do see two "technical" problems with the effect as written, and possibly a third.

1. the types of magic the effect dispels against are a bit vague. Does magic that tortures the target into telling the truth, like the infamous "TickleTruth Cantrip", get dispelled? Does magic that makes the target forget he should not be telling the truth? Does magic that reads the mind of the target, like FBotSL? The answer to this last question would in fact seem a clear-cut no: FBotSL does not force the target to tell the truth, it simply detects lies.

2. what is the target of the effect? At T:Ind it is obviously an individual spell (and at T:Touch the device user must be able to sense said spell to affect it). The oh-so-hated ward against teleportation works by affecting a Room, which the caster can then perceive even if he does not perceive the contents. A T:Circle effect would sidestep the problem in a similar fashion. But not a T:Ind spell.

3. FBotSL is not meant to be used surreptitiously: the target sees the large clouds of mist billowing from his mouth just like the caster. So, in general, the target knows he is undergoing a "truth test", and if a magus protected by the Code must be willing to submit to it. Then, it is relatively straightforward to first check for the absence of active protective magics on him, with his permission.

Note that the first two issues are about whether the effect is "legal", while the third is about whether it's "useful".

There is enough pts to say this item has problems. Scrap it for this list then.

On Pt1 I agree. The wording should be more like “supernatural effects which probe the mind of the warded person to determine truth or falsehood”

On Pt2 Thank you for pointing that out, that lack of target and also trying to use R:Touch on a spell. However I was thinking that this is more like a personal ward which has a RaW example to draw from: Ward Against Heat and Flame (ReIg25), p143. Is a R:Touch/T:Ind ward.

I can’t rationalise why the spell is Pe instead of Re though - so a Technique change would be needed anyway?

On Pt3 - this is a device for an apprentice or covenant use so the “asking permission” isn’t really a show stopper. This device would be used in the wild. Fair point though.

1 Like

EDIT: note that 80 (US) gallons/300 liters are already a base Individual of processed liquids (e.g. wine) rather than a base individual of water (which would be 100 times as much). I think that restricting the change to the volume of the most "difficult" liquid, while still allowing 1 volume of a liquid to yield the same volume of another, is both within the letter and within the spirit of the rules.

2 Likes

Based on my experience with wine, I would argue that wine which leaves no hangover is more than slightly unnatural. :smiley:
Nevertheless, my first reaction on seeing this item was "OMG, that's bloody brilliant."

In my game, I'd probably insist on a Size modifier, since the base Individual for wine is 1/100th the size, just to avoid the cheese factor. I think "Object of Increased Size" doesn't affect noble metals for the same reason.

An item to assist in reducing the costs in a covenant, or to add as a quality of life improvement.

1 Like

An idea I was looking at when pondering my Merinita's spell options.

And an idea originally tested as a method of better teaching. Theoretically, Sun duration is the same as concentration+item maintains, but I prefer the latter for its ability to be extended or ended.

1 Like

Could also be written up as ReHe10 and created as a potion if vis was an issue and campaigns do not tend to have frequent battles.

1 Like

Note - could be argued that the base needs to be higher if the water-steam-water process was too volatile, so I added an extra mag. Might need another, I’m not sure.

1 Like

I am already taking that into account! The barrel holds a base individual of processed liquids, not a base individual of plain water (which would be a pool 15 paces across and 2 deep - far more than 100 gallons).But I edited the post to make it explicit!

1 Like

I don’t follow where the 10000 gallons of water is to make 100 gallons of wine. Don’t you need 100 times the source material to get the result? If you only have a few hundred gallons of water you only get 2 gallons of wine. What am I missing?