Lucas of Mercere - Development

Wow. This is a great character.

andorra.wikidot.com/library#toc5 :wink:

Yes, you're right.

Fightmaster was pointing that, if using wolf skins, you don't need the harness, but, well, this'd require a lot of wolf skins :laughing:

For your ring, 3 notes:

• It was made for you. You should write it, because it means you don't suffer warping from powerful effect, although if you lend it to someone, he will
  • IMO, it was made with the requisites, so you should write it as MuCo (An, He, Te)
  • I love it

Thanks. And it looks like I'll have to adjust my book buying a bit more. There are a few other books that overlap my purchases. It seems that the list I was looking at was sorely out of date.

That was my thought as well. It occurred to me that the covenant might want to use guards transformed into wolves to stand guard. Those sensitive noses, combined with human minds could be very handy. Also (once I get my Terram up so that swords and metal armor can get transformed), it might be nice for rapid troop movement. As I understand the rules, wolves are good for long-distance running. (And it's only level 25, so no warping, right?)

Thanks. I made the corrections.

Also, can it be that you don't have a magus acting as librarian? If so, Lucas will be happy to remedy that!

Vocis is the covenant librarian, which is why I caught the Rego book issue. :slight_smile:

Ah, I didn't see that noted anywhere.

Is he looking for an assistant?

Some more questions (because they keep cropping up):

1.) How do you go about finding an animal to become a familiar?

2.) How do you determine how many botch dice to roll when you potentially botch in casting a spell or doing lab work?

Yes, there is a Light of Andorra Wiki. Fixer set it up and maintains most of it. Fightmaster maintains the library. And we all contribute bits.
BUT
Things are supposed to be up to date here, and it is my fault that they are not. I have quite the project ahead of me :smiley:
I have started on the basic covenant info, and I got hung up on residents and expenses. Library comes after that. I will make a place holder and move on with the update.
As for your questions:
If you want a low/medium powered familiar, we can just hand wave it. If you want a more powerful familiar, that requires a story.
Botch dice depend on various circumstances; stress, danger, risk, mastery or lack thereof, etcetera.
To jump in, jusp post your introduction in the sandbox thread (Chapter IV, 1234-1240). You pop through the Mercere Portal from Harco when it opens in Fall 1234.

I was looking at a low/medium power one - a falcon, to stay in keeping with my background so far.

Low powered magical animal, Magic Might of 10 or less. You met while you were flying around in magical areas? Either bind together during development, or in game just dedicate a season to coincidentally meeting then bonding.

I notice that all of the current adventure threads are dated Spring 1234. Will coming in during the Fall cause me any trouble in that respect?

One of them is for summer, and anotheris a prelude that covers four seasons. Falll means that you come in at a time I know everyone else will be here :wink:

Does that mean I should plan out other activities for Winter, Spring, and Summer of 1234? That might be the perfect time to get a familiar.

Good idea :slight_smile:

BTW, what exactly is Upkeep in pounds/year? According to page 110 of Covenants, it's 1 pound/year +1 pound/year for each +1 Upkeep. But it seems like you use numbers that are a bit higher than that. I just want to make sure I don't go over budget when it's time to plan my lab.

I also don't see an officer roster compiled anywhere. Here's a summary...
Pontifex - Carmen
Artifex - Vulcanus
Inquisitor - Solomon
Marshal - Alexandro Pedro Perez
Warden - Arachne
Herald - Fedora (I think)
Librarian - Vocis
Treasurer - Carmen

Not actively, but given Lucas's interests/obsession he's not likely to turn down the opportunity.

The officers' positions are listed by the magi's names on the wiki page. Vibria is currently Warden. (She wanted to be Treasurer, but the others were all, like, "Ah, hell naw!" :laughing:)

I need to get into the habit of looking at the wiki first now that I know where it is.

[hr][/hr]
Also, here's what I have for 1234 actions:

Winter 1234: Find familiar (magical peregrine falcon w/ Magical Might of 10, Size -4)
Spring 1234: Bind familiar (MuAn Lab total = 35 vs. Familiar Bonding level of 10 + 25 - 20 = 15, costs 3 An vis, +1 Gold, +0 Silver, +3 Bronze)
Summer 1234: Empower the bond - Mental Communication, lab total = 25, costs 3 Me vis)
Autumn 1234: Introduce myself to Andorra covenant and .... ?

Gains 3 vis normally, +2 Co from personal source + 5 vis left over, - 3 An vis from familiar - 3 Me vis from familiar = 2 Co + 2 An remaining.

Here's another few questions. (Sorry that I seem to be full of questions.)

1.) How do I go about making up my familiar? Does it start out with any magical powers from its magical might? Does it start off with any skills?

2.) How do I up its intelligence? I note that the rules say that you start at a -3 Int. But then I see that Celeste has a +2 Intelligence. How did Vocis up Celeste's Int by +5? I'd like to follow that same path.

3.) I see I'm on the wiki now. Yay! But I'm listed as being a member of the Sa Dragonera Chapter. Is that correct? I thought I was supposed to be at Andorra so I could support Fedora. Though I suppose that the covenant might consider me as serving her best by being a magus on-the-spot in Sa Dragonera.

The rules for making magical creatures are in Realms of Power: Magic (RoP:M). The falcon will start with virtues/flaws, abilities, a standard allotment of attributes (i.e. 7 points to spend), and several magical 'qualities', which are similar to virtues and can include magical powers.

Thanks. I hadn't thought to look in that book yet.

Hmm, I've looked at the rules and I've looked at some example familiars, and I still seem to be having trouble. What exactly do I start with? Do I get ability points to start the familiar off? Do I get any of the animal qualities for free, or do I have to buy those too?