Lucas of Mercere - Development

[size=150]Lucas de Mercere[/size]

Lucas was born into House Mercere of the Order of Hermes, and was destined to become a Redcap when he grew up - a fine fate for anyone. But destiny took over when he was seven years old and it was discovered that he was one of the few in his house with the Gift. From that point on, his future was set. He would be a magus of House Mercere, a symbol that magic was not lost to this noble house.

His apprenticeship began when he was ten years old, that being considered an ideal age to begin magical training. It progressed well, though not without its own peculiarities. First was the true gentle nature of Lucas’s Gift. It was clear to all who knew him that Lucas had been blessed with a Gentle Gift, for his presence inspired none of the uneasiness that usually comes with the Gift. But beyond that, Lucas seemed able to practice his magic without the need for strong gestures, and without the need to speak incantations. Aside from his wizard’s sigil, the faint screeching of a hawk that sounds whenever he casts a spell, there was generally no indication that he was the source of the magical effects he generated.

Also of interest, when Lucas was just seventeen, only halfway through his apprenticeship, he fell in love with Cecilia de Mercere, a fellow apprentice, though one without the Gift. Generally marriage while serving as an apprentice was not permitted. But in this case, when Lucas asked it of his parens, his request was granted. There were few enough members of the house with the Gift. And it wouldn’t be long after his gauntlet that Lucas would start taking a longevity potion, and be rendered infertile. Although a married apprentice was unorthodox, House Mercere was willing to allow anything that might lead to another Gifted member of the house. It’s still unknown as to whether this effort has proved successful or not. But Lucas and Cecilia have two small children already, so there’s at least the possibility.

[Note: If you’d prefer his wife not be a Redcap, then it’s easy enough to change her to be a companion. But he’s only taking 1 point for True Love, so however it works out, she’s very competent. ]

The last interesting occurrence happened as Lucas was entering his last year of his apprenticeship. At this point, his parens told him that he had shown great promise, and that as a result, he as being offered membership in the Milvi Antiquiti, a group descended from Mutant de Mercere, one of Lucas’s direct blood ancestors. The Milvi Antiquiti, or “kites of old,” his parens explained, were a group of Mutantes and their companions who sought to preserve and distribute knowledge throughout the Order. Upon hearing the goals of the Order, Lucas was proud to accept this offer, which lead to his parens teaching him certain techniques in his last year that were developed by the Order.

Just recently Lucas finished his gauntlet and found himself a full-fledged magus in need of a position. While he could certainly stay in his current covenant as long as he wanted, something was driving him to get out and see some more of the world. As it turned out, his knowledge of the languages of the Iberian Peninsula made him a perfect match for a new position the House wanted to fill in the Covenant of Andorra. They wanted a Mercere magus to help support a Redcap living there, and Lucas was offered that position. He quickly said yes and began to pack his family up for the trip.

[table][tr][th][left]Stat[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th] [th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Int[/td] [td][center]+2[/center][/td][td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pre[/td][td][center]+2[/center][/td][td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Str[/td][td][center]-2[/center][/td][td][center]-3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dex[/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Per[/td][td][center]+1[/center][/td][td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Com[/td] [td][center]+2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sta[/td][td][center]+2[/center][/td][td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Qui[/td] [td][center]-2[/center][/td][td][center]-3[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

FLAWS
[table][tr][th][left]Flaw[/left][/th][th]Points[/th] [th]Level[/th][th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Driven - to build a new Great Library[/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td][td][center]personality[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Favors - House Mercere[/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td][td][center]story[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Busybody[/td][td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]personality[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability Block - Martial[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Disjointed Magic[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Close Family Ties[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]story[/center][/td][/tr][/table]
VIRTUES
[table][tr][th][left]Virtue[/left][/th][th]Points[/th] [th]Level[/th][th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Mutantum Magic[/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td][center]free[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Gentle Gift[/td] [td][center]+3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td] [td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Quiet Magic, x2[/td] [td][center]+2[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Subtle Magic[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cautious Sorcerer[/td][td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Affinity with Muto[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Personal Vis Source – Co[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Book Learner[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

PERSONALITY
[table][tr][td]Curious[/td] [td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Friendly[/td] [td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Driven[/td] [td][right]-3[/right][/td][/tr][/table]

ACADEMIC ABILITIES
[table][tr][th][left]Ability[/left][/th][th][left]Focus[/left][/th][th]Score[/th] [th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales – Latin and Arabic alphabets[/td] [td]rhetoric[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Latin[/td][td]hermetic usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][td][center]45[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Medicine[/td] [td]physician[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Philosophiae[/td] [td]natural philosophy[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARCANE ABILITIES
[table][tr][th][left]Ability[/left][/th][th][left]Focus[/left][/th][th]Score[/th] [th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Code of Hermes[/td] [td]tribunal procedures[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Finesse[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Lore[/td] [td]magical traditions[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory[/td] [td]inventing spells[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Parma Magica[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Penetration[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

GENERAL ABILITIES
[tr][td]Burgundy Lore[/td][td]personalities[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics[/td] [td]grace[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td] [td]alertness[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl[/td] [td]alertness[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Charm[/td] [td]being witty[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chirurgery[/td] [td]binding wounds[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td][td]spell casting[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Etiquette[/td] [td]magi[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]townsfolk[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td]
[tr][td]Language: French (native)[/td] [td]Bourguignon[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Occitain[/td] [td]Catalan[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]20[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Arabic[/td] [td]Classical[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Spanish[/td] [td]Castilian[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Mozarab[/td] [td]-[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Order of Hermes Lore[/td] [td]personalities[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Profession – Scribe[/td] [td]illumination[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ride[/td] [td]staying on the horse[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Swim[/td] [td]staying afloat[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td] [td]Muto[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr][/table]
[I think I have the languages figured out, but I might not.]

ARTS – TECHNIQUES
[table][tr][th][left]Technique[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th][th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Creo[/td] [td][center]7[/center][/td] [td][center]28[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Intelligo[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Muto[/td][td][center]10[/center][/td][td][center]37/55.5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Perdo[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rego[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARTS – FORMS
[table][tr][th][left]Form[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th][th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Animal[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aquam[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aurum[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td] [td][center]21[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Herbem[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ignem[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imaginem[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mentem[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Terram[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vim[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

SPELLS
[table][tr][td]Spell[/td] [th]CT*[/th][th]Level[/th] [td]Description[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Doublet of Impenetrable Silk[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]MuAn 15[/td] [td]Animal-based cloth gets +3 Soak[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Circle of Beast Warding[/td] [td]+8/+13[/td] [td]ReAn 5[/td] [td]Wards against normal beasts crossing the circle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cloak of the Duck's Feathers[/td] [td]+7/+12[/td] [td]ReAq 5[/td] [td]Keeps water off the target[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chamber of Spring Breezes[/td] [td]+10/+15[/td] [td]CrAu 5[/td] [td]Keeps the air flowing in a room[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bind Wound[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]CrCo 10[/td] [td]Stops a wound from bleeding[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Eyes of the Cat[/td] [td]+18/+23[/td] [td]MuCo 5[/td] [td]Grants target ability to see in all but total darkness[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Shape of the Woodland Prowler (Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+18/+23[/td] [td]MuCo 25[/td] [td]Turns target into a wolf; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand[/td] [td]+12/+17[/td] [td]ReCo 5[/td] [td]Causes the target's hand to spasm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Touch of Warmth[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]CrIg 5[/td] [td]Keeps the target pleasantly warm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lamp Without Flame (Sun, Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]CrIg 15[/td] [td]Creates light on item touched for Sun duration; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Taste of Spices and Herbs[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]MuIm 5[/td] [td]Flavors a meal as desired[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aura of Enobled Presence[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]MuIm 10[/td] [td]Grants target +3 to influence, lead, or convince[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Disguise of the Transformed Image (Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]MuIm 15[/td] [td]Changes the target's appearance ; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wizard's Sidestep[/td] [td]+9/+14[/td] [td]ReIm 10[/td] [td]Magus looks like he's 1 pace away from where he really is[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Call to Slumber[/td] [td]+9/+14[/td] [td]ReMe 10[/td] [td]Puts target to sleep in a few seconds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Well-Swept Chamber[/td] [td]+9/+14[/td] [td]ReTe 10[/td] [td]Sweeps all the dirt out of a room[/td][/tr][/table]

• The first CT is basic; the second is inside the covenant.

Sigil: The faint smell of parchment and books accompanies each of Lucas's spells
Voting Sigil: A small wand with the figure of a falcon on the top
[hr][/hr]
Touch of Warmth (CrIg 5): Maintains the target at a warm temperature. (Base 2, Duration: Sun +2, Range: Touch +1)

The Well-Swept Chamber (ReTe 10): Sweeps all the dirt out of a given chamber. (Base 2, Range: Touch +1, Target: Room +2)

[hr][/hr]
This is an initial draft. Please let me know what you think.

For what it's worth:

• You have 7 points of minor Flaws (instead of max 05).
  • You have, by my count, 4 story flaws (instead of 1), for a total of 06 points: True Love, Dependants, Hermetic Patron, Legacy.
  • You have 3 (instead of 2) personality flaws (Busybody, Noncombattant, Driven).

You should consider having a major and dropping some of these as background. For example, you don't need True Love to be happily married or have your wife be endangered (Dependant - family). Hermetic Patron and Legacy are also quite redundant anyway. You don't need the non-combattant flaw to be pacifistic, and so on.
For example, Arachné has potential ennemies in her background, as well as contacts, patrons... These are all here because I like them, and marko can use them if he wants to. But they are here mostly for flavor, and by not taking them as flaws, I indicate 2 things:

• These elements aren't the ones I absolutely want to see in the saga, so no bother if I never see them
  • If I want to say "screw that, I'm not interested", I can.

Although it ain't easy, you should consider giving him a general or supernatural flaw, or maybe an hermetic one. This would make him more diverse and real. Maybe he suffered a terrible wound and has a badass Missing Eye? Maybe the glory of his lineage make him feel unworthy, leading to a Low Self Esteem? Maybe his good luck earned him the jealousy of some entity, who cursed him to be Unlucky. Maybe your Gentle Gift is imperfect, and you are still Offensive to Animals?

The first spell won't heat up a room. You should try Base 2, Duration: Sun +2, Range: Touch +1, +2 room.
But you don't need to change it: With this spell, you can warm your clothes and your bed, for example. If it is very cold, he can cast it on more items in order to bring more heat, although I can't see him needing it.

The second spell is veeeery nice, Arachné will just steal it the first time she sees it :smiley:

I allow a Major and a Minor Story Flaw, as well as Minor versions of Major Flaws or Personality versions of Story Flaws. With Personality, I allow one Major and up to two Minor. Maybe three. Personality is not a big worry.
HOWEVER,
Fixer is right. You seem to exceed even my generous limits. And you can only have 5 Minor Flaws for profit.

Sorry, this is actually the first Ars Magica character I've ever fully made, so I was bound to run into some problems. I'll adjust.

Okay, I think I might have this down now.

I folded a couple of minor flaws into Favors - House Mercere (-3, major, story). This represents that House Mercere has been very generous with Lucas. But that doesn't come free. Being one of the Gifted magi in the House means that they will occasionally request him to do things for them.

I also upped his Driven personality flaw to major. I'd toyed with that originally. The idea is that through his membership in the Milvi Antiquiti, he's acquired a burning drive. The Great Library of Alexandria was lost centuries ago. He wants to see it's like created again - a new Great Library. It's the work of a lifetime, and likely something to seek, but never quite achieve. But it gives him a clear goal.

I also combined a bunch of the family-oriented flaws into Close Family Ties (-1, minor, story). That gives him one flaw to represent the whole subplot.

For what's it's worth, that looks better to me. I really like the Driven goal!

One typo I notice is under virtues...I'm guessing that should be Affinity with Muto, not Ability with Muto.

I changed the spell to Touch of Warmth. Now it simply keeps the target warm, as you suggested. I figure it gets cold in the mountains on winter nights, and Lucas would like something to keep him warm. Also, it fits in with his upbringing where he tried to live a comfortable life. (Besides, those monks in Cefern don't exactly keep the hearth fires burning high!) :wink:

Good catch. I fixed it.

Like all of this. Great goals

Lucas was born into House Mercere of the Order of Hermes, and was destined to become a Redcap when he grew up - a fine fate for anyone. But destiny took over when he was seven years old and it was discovered that he was one of the few in his house with the Gift. From that point on, his future was set. He would be a magus of House Mercere, a symbol that magic was not lost to this noble house.

His apprenticeship began when he was ten years old, that being considered an ideal age to begin magical training. It progressed well, though not without its own peculiarities. First was the true gentle nature of Lucas’s Gift. It was clear to all who knew him that Lucas had been blessed with a Gentle Gift, for his presence inspired none of the uneasiness that usually comes with the Gift. But beyond that, Lucas seemed able to practice his magic without the need for strong gestures, and without the need to speak incantations. Aside from his wizard’s sigil, the faint screeching of a hawk that sounds whenever he casts a spell, there was generally no indication that he was the source of the magical effects he generated.

Also of interest, when Lucas was just seventeen, only halfway through his apprenticeship, he fell in love with Cecilia de Mercere, a fellow apprentice, though one without the Gift. Generally marriage while serving as an apprentice was not permitted. But in this case, when Lucas asked it of his parens, his request was granted. There were few enough members of the house with the Gift. And it wouldn’t be long after his gauntlet that Lucas would start taking a longevity potion, and be rendered infertile. Although a married apprentice was unorthodox, House Mercere was willing to allow anything that might lead to another Gifted member of the house. It’s still unknown as to whether this effort has proved successful or not. But Lucas and Cecilia have two small children already, so there’s at least the possibility.

[Note: If you’d prefer his wife not be a Redcap, then it’s easy enough to change her to be a companion. But he’s only taking 1 point for True Love, so however it works out, she’s very competent. ]

The last interesting occurrence happened as Lucas was entering his last year of his apprenticeship. At this point, his parens told him that he had shown great promise, and that as a result, he as being offered membership in the Milvi Antiquiti, a group descended from Mutant de Mercere, one of Lucas’s direct blood ancestors. The Milvi Antiquiti, or “kites of old,” his parens explained, were a group of Mutantes and their companions who sought to preserve and distribute knowledge throughout the Order. Upon hearing the goals of the Order, Lucas was proud to accept this offer, which lead to his parens teaching him certain techniques in his last year that were developed by the Order.

Just recently Lucas finished his gauntlet and found himself a full-fledged magus in need of a position. While he could certainly stay in his current covenant as long as he wanted, something was driving him to get out and see some more of the world. As it turned out, his knowledge of the languages of the Iberian Peninsula made him a perfect match for a new position the House wanted to fill in the Covenant of Andorra. They wanted a Mercere magus to help support a Redcap living there, and Lucas was offered that position. He quickly said yes and began to pack his family up for the trip.

[tr][td]Qui[/td] [td][center]-2[/center][/td][td][center]-3[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

FLAWS
[table][tr][th][left]Flaw[/left][/th][th]Points[/th] [th]Level[/th][th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Driven - to build a new Great Library[/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td][td][center]personality[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Favors - House Mercere[/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td][td][center]story[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Busybody[/td][td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]personality[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability Block - Martial[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Disjointed Magic[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Close Family Ties[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]story[/center][/td][/tr][/table]
VIRTUES
[table][tr][th][left]Virtue[/left][/th][th]Points[/th] [th]Level[/th][th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Mutantum Magic[/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td][center]free[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Gentle Gift[/td] [td][center]+3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td] [td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Quiet Magic, x2[/td] [td][center]+2[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Subtle Magic[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cautious Sorcerer[/td][td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Affinity with Muto[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Personal Vis Source – Co[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]hermetic[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Book Learner[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

PERSONALITY

ACADEMIC ABILITIES
[tr][td]Artes Liberales – Latin and Arabic alphabets[/td] [td]rhetoric[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Latin[/td][td]hermetic usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][td][center]45[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Medicine[/td] [td]physician[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Philosophiae[/td] [td]natural philosophy[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARCANE ABILITIES
[tr][td]Code of Hermes[/td] [td]tribunal procedures[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Finesse[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Lore[/td] [td]magical traditions[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory[/td] [td]inventing spells[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Parma Magica[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Penetration[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

GENERAL ABILITIES
[tr][td]Burgundy Lore[/td][td]personalities[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics[/td] [td]grace[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td] [td]alertness[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl[/td] [td]alertness[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Charm[/td] [td]being witty[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chirurgery[/td] [td]binding wounds[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td][td]spell casting[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Etiquette[/td] [td]magi[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]townsfolk[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td]
[tr][td]Language: French (native)[/td] [td]Bourguignon[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Occitain[/td] [td]Catalan[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]20[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Arabic[/td] [td]Classical[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Spanish[/td] [td]Castilian[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Mozarab[/td] [td]-[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Order of Hermes Lore[/td] [td]personalities[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Profession – Scribe[/td] [td]illumination[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ride[/td] [td]staying on the horse[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Swim[/td] [td]staying afloat[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td] [td]Muto[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARTS – TECHNIQUES
[tr][td]Intelligo[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Muto[/td][td][center]10[/center][/td][td][center]37/55.5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Perdo[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rego[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARTS – FORMS
[tr][td]Animal[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aurum[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td] [td][center]21[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ignem[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imaginem[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mentem[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Terram[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vim[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

SPELLS
[tr][td]Doublet of Impenetrable Silk[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]MuAn 15[/td] [td]Animal-based cloth gets +3 Soak[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Circle of Beast Warding[/td] [td]+8/+13[/td] [td]ReAn 5[/td] [td]Wards against normal beasts crossing the circle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cloak of the Duck's Feathers[/td] [td]+7/+12[/td] [td]ReAq 5[/td] [td]Keeps water off the target[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chamber of Spring Breezes[/td] [td]+10/+15[/td] [td]CrAu 5[/td] [td]Keeps the air flowing in a room[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bind Wound[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]CrCo 10[/td] [td]Stops a wound from bleeding[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Eyes of the Cat[/td] [td]+18/+23[/td] [td]MuCo 5[/td] [td]Grants target ability to see in all but total darkness[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Shape of the Woodland Prowler (Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+18/+23[/td] [td]MuCo 25[/td] [td]Turns target into a wolf; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand[/td] [td]+12/+17[/td] [td]ReCo 5[/td] [td]Causes the target's hand to spasm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Touch of Warmth[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]CrIg 5[/td] [td]Keeps the target pleasantly warm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lamp Without Flame (Sun, Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]CrIg 15[/td] [td]Creates light on item touched for Sun duration; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Taste of Spices and Herbs[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]MuIm 5[/td] [td]Flavors a meal as desired[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aura of Enobled Presence[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]MuIm 10[/td] [td]Grants target +3 to influence, lead, or convince[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Disguise of the Transformed Image (Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]MuIm 15[/td] [td]Changes the target's appearance ; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wizard's Sidestep[/td] [td]+9/+14[/td] [td]ReIm 10[/td] [td]Magus looks like he's 1 pace away from where he really is[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Call to Slumber[/td] [td]+9/+14[/td] [td]ReMe 10[/td] [td]Puts target to sleep in a few seconds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Well-Swept Chamber[/td] [td]+9/+14[/td] [td]ReTe 10[/td] [td]Sweeps all the dirt out of a room[/td][/tr][/table]

Sigil: The faint smell of parchment and books accompanies each of Lucas's spells
[hr][/hr]
Touch of Warmth (CrIg 5): Maintains the target at a warm temperature. (Base 2, Duration: Sun +2, Range: Touch +1)

The Well-Swept Chamber (ReTe 10): Sweeps all the dirt out of a given chamber. (Base 2, Range: Touch +1, Target: Room +2)

[hr][/hr]
This is an the current draft. What still needs to be done? I'd love to be able to start posting in game as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Okay, I was originally cowed by the advancement and mustering out rules. But having read them last night, I think I'm ready to give them a go. (Alas, I can't do any reading in a library, since I don't know what books would be avaialable.) I'd like to make Lucas a cycle out of gauntlet. (One cycle makes the math easy.) Here is a revised character sheet:

[hr][/hr]

Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (1)
Confidence: 1(3)

FLAWS
VIRTUES

PERSONALITY

ACADEMIC ABILITIES

ARCANE ABILITIES
[tr][td]Finesse[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]35[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Parma Magica[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]

GENERAL ABILITIES
[tr][td]Athletics[/td] [td]grace[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td] [td]alertness[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bargain[/td] [td]magical supplies[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td][td]spell casting[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]townsfolk[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Guile[/td] [td]fast talk[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Intrigue[/td] [td]gossip[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Occitain[/td] [td]Catalan[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Profession – Scribe[/td] [td]illumination[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth[/td] [td]sneaking[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td] [td]Muto[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARTS – TECHNIQUES
[tr][td]Perdo[/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td] [td][center]21[/center][/td][/tr]

ARTS – FORMS
[tr][td]Animal[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]16[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aurum[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]11[/center][/td] [td][center]71[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imaginem[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]16[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mentem[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Terram[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]16[/center][/td][/tr]

SPELLS
[tr][td]Shape of the Woodland Prowler (Harnessed, Tethered)[/td] [td]+18/+23[/td] [td]MuCo 25[/td] [td]Turns target into a wolf; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will (An, He, and Te Requisite if relevant clothes/items are to be transformed as well.)[/td][/tr]

MAGIC ITEMS
Pending Mustering Out

[hr][/hr]

[hr][/hr]
ACTIVITIES FOR THE LAST CYCLE

Winter 1227: Study Finesse
Spring 1227: Study Finesse
Summer 1227: Study Finesse
Autumn 1227: Run messages

Winter 1228: Study Parma Magica
Spring 1228: Study Parma Magica
Summer 1228: Study Awareness
Autumn 1228: Wasted time

Winter 1229: Study Concentration
Spring 1229: Study Concentration
Summer 1229: Study Etiquette
Autumn 1229: Earn extra vis

Winter 1230: Study Leadership
Spring 1230: Study Profession (Scribe)
Summer 1230: Study Teaching
Autumn 1230: Earn extra vis

Winter 1231: Study Perdo
Spring 1231: Study Animal
Summer 1231: Study Corpus
Autumn 1231: Study Corpus

Winter 1232: Study Corpus
Spring 1232: Study Corpus
Summer 1232: Study Corpus
Autumn 1232: Earn extra vis

Winter 1233: Study Imaginem
Spring 1233: Study Mentem
Summer 1233: Study Terram
Autumn 1233: Earn extra vis

That should be 43 vis for the cycle (21 earned +14 Co from personal source + 15 earned - 7 for his hermetic age = 43)
At least 22 must be spent as qpv (=88 qpv).
I'll do mustering out later today.

[hr][/hr]
This is an the current draft. What still needs to be done? I'd love to be able to start posting in game as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Quick mustering out questions:

1.) Can I buy virtues for my lab, or would you prefer that I start from scratch when I get to the covenant?

2.) Can I get a talisman, or is that something I have to do myself?

3.) Can I get an enchanted item with a spell that is Harnessed and/or Tethered on it, since I'm a member of Milvi Antiquiti?

4.) Is there a limit on quality/level for books? I don't want to get too greedy. :slight_smile:

5.) What is the cost of potions? Or should they just be bought as a charged item?

6.) What about potions that are made with vis (e.g., healing potions)? Should I just deduct the vis cost of the potion from my supply?

7.) I'm close to needing a Longevity Ritual. Can I pay for it early with mustering out qpv or do I have to wait until its time to use it?

Thanks.

Some responses...

1. Yes you can, but I would prefer if you hold of on that for now. In play, you can set up your initial lab with balanced virtues & flaws in a season.
  2. You must do that yourself
  3. Likewise, you must to it yourself. You are part of a small tradition within a small house. Not many like you with the freetime available for sale.
  4. 31 - Level, or 22 (whichever is lower). I think...
  5. As Charged Items
  6. Such things are no longer available with normal Hermetic magic in fifth edition.
  7. Use it the day it is purchased, up to level 50 costing Age + (half of level). So the basic level 30 Longevity at age 35 is 50q.p..
  8. As for your experience with the CharGen and Mustering, How did itgo? What bugs or complications did you encounter? What is unneeded and needs to be included?
    I am planning on revising and streamlining the HR's sometime soon.

After a little more consideration, I went for gauntlet +10 years. That made the longevity ritual easier. Here is a (basically final) revised character sheet:

[hr][/hr]

Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (1)
Confidence: 1(3)

His apprenticeship began when he was ten years old, that being considered an ideal age to begin magical training. It progressed well, though not without its own peculiarities. First was the true gentle nature of Lucas’s Gift. It was clear to all who knew him that Lucas had been blessed with a Gentle Gift, for his presence inspired none of the uneasiness that usually comes with the Gift. But beyond that, Lucas seemed able to practice his magic without the need for strong gestures, and without the need to speak incantations. Aside from his wizard’s sigil, the faint smell of parchment or books that appears whenever he casts a spell, there was generally no indication that he was the source of the magical effects he generated.

Also of interest, when Lucas was just seventeen, only halfway through his apprenticeship, he fell in love with Cecilia de Mercere, a fellow apprentice, though one without the Gift. Generally marriage while serving as an apprentice was not permitted. But in this case, when Lucas asked it of his parens, his request was granted. There were few enough members of the house with the Gift. And it wouldn’t be long after his gauntlet that Lucas would start taking a longevity potion, and be rendered infertile. Although a married apprentice was unorthodox, House Mercere was willing to allow anything that might lead to another Gifted member of the house. It’s still unknown as to whether this effort has proved successful or not. But Lucas and Cecilia have four small children already, so there’s at least the possibility.

Also: Let's say his children are 11, 9, 6, and 3. Surely they'd know whether the 11-yo or the 9-yo would have the Gift by now. If so, the oldest might be apprenticed. Your call on that.

Ten years ago, Lucas finished his gauntlet and found himself a full-fledged magus. The following years were filled with study and family, leading to a total of four children before he first went through his longevity ritual. After that, he started to feel like he wanted to move. While he could certainly stay in his current covenant as long as he wished, something was driving him to get out and see some more of the world. As it turned out, his knowledge of the language of Catalan made him a perfect match for a new position the House wanted to fill in the Covenant of Andorra. They wanted a Mercere magus to help support a Redcap living there, and Lucas was offered that position. He quickly said yes and began to pack his family up for the trip.

CHARACTERISTICS
[table][tr][th][left]Characteristic[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th] [th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Int[/td] [td][center]+3[/center][/td][td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pre[/td][td][center]0[/center][/td][td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]

VIRTUES & FLAWS
[tr][td]Book Learner[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][/tr]
[tr][th][left]Flaw[/left][/th][th]Points[/th] [th]Level[/th][th]Type[/th][/tr]

PERSONALITY

ABILITIES
[tr][td]Athletics[/td] [td]grace[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td] [td]alertness[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bargain[/td] [td]magical supplies[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td][td]spell casting[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dead Language: Latin[/td][td]hermetic usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][td][center]45[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Finesse[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]35[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]townsfolk[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Guile[/td] [td]fast talk[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Intrigue[/td] [td]gossip[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: French (native)[/td] [td]Bourguignon[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Living Language: Occitain[/td] [td]Catalan[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory[/td] [td]inventing spells[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Parma Magica[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Penetration[/td] [td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Philosophiae[/td] [td]natural philosophy[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Profession – Scribe[/td] [td]illumination[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth[/td] [td]sneaking[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td] [td]Muto[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARTS – TECHNIQUES
[tr][td]Intelligo[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Muto[/td][td][center]10[/center][/td][td][center]52/78[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Perdo[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]11[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rego[/td] [td][center]8[/center][/td][td][center]40[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ARTS – FORMS
[tr][td]Animal[/td] [td][center]10[/center][/td] [td][center]56[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aurum[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Corpus[/td] [td][center]11[/center][/td] [td][center]71[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Herbem[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imaginem[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]16[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mentem[/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td] [td][center]23[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Terram[/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]16[/center][/td][/tr]

SPELLS
[tr][td]Doublet of Impenetrable Silk[/td] [td]+24/+29[/td] [td]MuAn 15[/td] [td]Animal-based cloth gets +3 Soak[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cloak of the Duck's Feathers[/td] [td]+11/+16[/td] [td]ReAq 5[/td] [td]Keeps water off the target[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bind Wound[/td] [td]+20/+25[/td] [td]CrCo 10[/td] [td]Stops a wound from bleeding[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Eyes of the Cat[/td] [td]+25/+30[/td] [td]MuCo 5[/td] [td]Grants target ability to see in all but total darkness[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Improved Shape of the Woodland Prowler[/td] [td]+24/+29[/td] [td]MuCo 25[/td] [td]Turns target into a wolf; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will (An Requisite; He and Te Requisite if relevant clothes/items are to be transformed as well.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Improved Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand[/td] [td]+21/+26[/td] [td]ReCo 10[/td] [td]Causes the target's hand to spasm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Improved Lamp Without Flame[/td] [td]+14/+19[/td] [td]CrIg 15[/td] [td]Creates light on item touched for Sun duration; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aura of Ennobled Presence[/td] [td]+19/+24[/td] [td]MuIm 10[/td] [td]Grants target +3 to influence, lead, or convince[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Improved Disguise of the Transformed Image[/td] [td]+19/+24[/td] [td]MuIm 15[/td] [td]Changes the target's appearance ; can hand off control; controller can stop spell at will[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wizard's Sidestep[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]ReIm 10[/td] [td]Magus looks like he's 1 pace away from where he really is[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hex of Slumber[/td] [td]+16/+21[/td] [td]ReMe 15[/td] [td]Puts target to sleep in a few seconds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Well-Swept Chamber[/td] [td]+15/+20[/td] [td]ReTe 10[/td] [td]Sweeps all the dirt out of a room[/td][/tr][/table]

MAGIC ITEMS
Ring of the Soaring Falcon MuCo35
This ring allows the caster, along with what he's wearing, and any small items he's carrying, to assume the form of a falcon, hawk, kite, or other small raptor for as long as he wishes.
(Base 20, +1M Conc., +5 device maintains concentration, +5 24 uses/day)

Wand of the Entwining Vines
This wand allows the user to cast the spell Trap of the Entwining Vines at will.
(Level 15 spell, +10 Unlimited uses = 25)

Longevity Ritual: level 50

BOOKS
Transformations of the Human Body: Andronicus of Mercere (Muto Summae, L20/Q11)

On the Subject of Magical Movement: Johann of Mercere (Rego Summae, L18/Q13)

[hr][/hr]
This is pretty much where I'm going to stop fiddling and let you take it from here. What still needs to be done? I'm looking forward to starting posting in game soon. :slight_smile:

As for the mustering out rules, they were pretty easy to understand. The only thing that was difficult was that I couldn't study books or learn spells from lab notes, since I didn't know what my library looked like. But maybe that's part of the abstraction.

(Mustering out and a list of spells will follow)

ACTIVITIES FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS

Winter 1225: Study Parma Magica
Spring 1225: Study Parma Magica
Summer 1225: Study Awareness
Autumn 1225: Wasted time

Winter 1225: Study Finesse
Spring 1225: Study Finesse
Summer 1225: Study Finesse
Autumn 1225: Run messages

Winter 1226: Study Leadership
Spring 1226: Study Profession (Scribe)
Summer 1226: Study Teaching
Autumn 1226: Earn extra vis

Winter 1227: Study Concentration
Spring 1227: Study Concentration
Summer 1227: Study Etiquette
Autumn 1227: Earn extra vis

Winter 1228: Study Intellego
Spring 1228: Study Rego
Summer 1228: Study Rego
Autumn 1228: Earn extra vis

Winter 1229: Study Rego
Spring 1229: Study Animal
Summer 1229: Study Animal
Autumn 1229: Earn extra vis

Winter 1230: Study Animal
Spring 1230: Study Animal
Summer 1230: Study Animal
Autumn 1230: Earn extra vis

Winter 1231: Study Corpus
Spring 1231: Study Corpus
Summer 1231: Study Corpus
Autumn 1231: Earn extra vis

Winter 1232: Study Corpus
Spring 1232: Study Corpus
Summer 1232: Study Imaginem
Autumn 1232: Earn extra vis

Winter 1233: Study Mentem
Spring 1233: Study Mentem
Summer 1233: Study Terram
Autumn 1233: Earn extra vis

That should be 64 vis (=256 qpv) for the ten years (30 earned +20 Co from personal source + 24 earned - 10 for his hermetic age = 64)
At least 32 must be spent as qpv (=128 qpv).

MUSTERING OUT

Ring of the Soaring Falcon MuCo35
This ring allows the caster, along with what he's wearing, and any small items he's carrying, to assume the form of a falcon, hawk, kite, or other small raptor for as long as he wishes.
(Base 20, +1M Conc., +5 device maintains concentration, +5 24 uses/day)
Total cost: 48 qpv

Form of the Soaring Falcon MuCo 25
R: Personal D: Conc. T: Ind
Requisite: An; He or Te to transform appropriate items.
This allows the caster, along with what he's wearing, and any small items he's carrying, to assume the form of a falcon, hawk, kite, or other small raptor for as long as he concentrates.
(Base 20, +1 Conc.)

Wand of the Entwining Vines
This wand allows the user to cast the spell Trap of the Entwining Vines
(Level 15 spell, +10 Unlimited uses = 25)
Total Cost: 30 qpv

Transformations of the Human Body: Andronicus of Mercere (Muto Summae, L20/Q11)
Total Cost: 31 qpv

On the Subject of Magical Movement: Johann of Mercere (Rego Summae, L18/Q13)
Total Cost: 31 qpv

Longevity Ritual: level 50 (35+50/2) = 60 qpv

TOTAL QPV SPENT: 48 + 31 + 31 + 60 +30 = 200

56 qpv left over = 14 vis (2 An, 4 Co, 2 Ig, 2 Im, 2 Me, 2 Te)

[hr][/hr]

SPELLS

Improved Shape of the Woodland Prowler MuCo 25
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind (Harnessed, Tethered)
Req: Animal
The target changes into a wolf. The target may change back at will, ending the spell.
(Base 10, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Improved Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand ReCo 10
R: Sight D: Conc. T: Ind
One of the target's hands spasms, causing him to drop anything he is holding in it. It keeps spasming for as long as you concentrate.
(Base 2, +3 Sight, +1 Conc.)

Touch of Warmth CrIg 5
R: Touch D: Sun T: Ind
Maintains the target at a warm temperature.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Improved Lamp Without Flame CrIg 15
R: Touch D: Sun T: Ind. (Harnessed, Tethered)
This spell creates a steady light as bright as daylight on a cloudy day. The light has no apparent source but illuminates an area about
ten paces across, centered on a point indicated by the caster. This point may be a mobile item.
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Improved Disguise of the Transformed Image MuIm 15
R: Touch D: Sun T: Ind (Harnessed, Tethered)
Make someone look sound. feel and smell different, though at least passably human. The target can end the illusion at will, ending the spell.
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Hex of Slumber ReMe15
R: Sight D: Mom T: Ind
The target becomes sleepy and falls asleep within a few seconds.
(Base 4, +3 Sight)

The Well-Swept Chamber ReTe 10
R: Touch, D: Mom. T: Room
Sweeps all the dirt out of a given chamber.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Room)

You know what. I discovered a massive error. I did do an overhaul of the House Rules. Back in Decemer. I had revised the whole Hermetic Economics system and fixed a number of tid-bits. And I have been looking at the forums, and those changed were never posted here!!!
They are on the wiki though whew, and I just cecked and Fixer had updated the Wealthy revision the other day.
Have a look HERE.
You don't have to change anything or do whatever. Most of the established characters used the same rules you just did and were grandfathered in. This was my mistake. And they were minor changes. So let us just pretend my revelation never happened and let us move along...
:mrgreen:
(and reading there, I still see things that need polish, stuff that has come up in creation of your character and the other new guys)
Anyway, ahem...
Meow?
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Cult of Mercury?

:mrgreen:
How long have you known your wife? How long have you been married? It seems your eldest child was born just a year before your gauntlet, the rest afterwards. I like the idea of her being a Redcap, go with that. She would not be a member here though, but we are going to have a Portal to Harco here. Travel around the world is no longer an issue. And she might become one of the rotating cast of Redcap characters we have around here. Which we don't. But we should. That's what the Mercere Quarter is all about, ain't it?
None of your children have the Gift. Nope. Redcap life is their destiny. Kinda makes you feel like you should take care of Redcaps, now don't it?
So, then, this is the situation. House Mercere has secured a contract with the Covenant of Andorra. Located in Arans Ordino, Andorra; the covenant lies between the Iberian and Provencal Tribunals and yet is not legally part of either one. The Mercere have established a lodge and vault in this neutral zone, and has based Redcaps there for generations. One famous Redcap, Roderic, developed the Gift mysteriously one day, and together with his Flambeau sidekick Antonio, they had epic adventures and delivered the mail on time.
That's everything you know about the place. That and they just opened a portal to Harco there. They also have one to Barcelona, and are waiting on Doisettep. It is to be a hub-transfer point. The covenant receives a lucrative deal out of it, a 1:1 exchange rate for vis. But part of the deal is that the covenant must also support a Mercere magus. Ideally you should become a member, but you don't have to. You work for House Mercere, and House Mercere has a contract :wink:
Your job is to support and assist the Redcaps, dedicating a solid portion of your time to that effort. Now, they are going to need what they are going to need. What you specialize in doesn't figure into it. If you can find a way to utilize your specialized magic to fill their needs, all the better. But still, it is a job and it is going to divert some of your study time towards learning how to better do that job. You will have time to learn and do the things you want to do, but you will have to give the Mercere some of your time to learn and do what they need you to do. You will need to study Vim.
The job pays three pawns of vis a year, and required at least a season per year of service in the lab or in the field. Study time to learn what you need to do in the lab or in the field is on you. Unfortunately, you never know what they need until they need it. Fortunately, though, you are a Mutantes and your magic is more fluid and adaptive in nature.

Love the character, love marko's ideas.

The falcon ring is a great touch and idea.

Looks good, just a few comments...

I count 155 levels of spells, with no seasons assigned to learning new spells and no Skilled Parens virtue. Am I missing something?

We have a L17/Q14 Rego summae in the library already. Extra options aren't necessarily bad, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it.

This spell doesn't need to be Harnessed or Tethered unless you're eliminating the use of a wolf skin as a 'focus' for the spell. Since the focus concept seems to be a holdover from previous editions, I'm not sure if this is an option.

Nope; I'm missing something. I added wrong when fiddling with the spell levesl. I'll correct that in the final version.

Hmm, it's not listed. All that I see is:

Rego
To Command! : Joseph of Tremere (Rego Summa, L13/Q11)
Proper Command and Control: Aaron of Jerbiton (Rego Tractatus, Q11)
Commentary on To Command: Aaron of Jerbiton (Rego Tractatus, Q13)

Is that list up-to-date? I'll definitely pick a different book, but I'll be going by the official list and I don't want to duplicate anything else.

I was looking to eliminate the wolf skin as a focus. That way I could cast it on others (e.g., guards going on patrol), and immediately tether and harness it to them. My understanding was that without either the harnessing or the focus, the spell would last until sunrise/sundown with no other way to end it.