Lucien (Flambeau Apprentice Development)

Good point. still, taken as a free flaw will result in the effect of a free virtue ala skilled parens.

In one of the (many) drafts I played around with the idea Puissant Creo, as the freebie House virtue. I could certainly work with that, and School of Delendos fits.

I would still like the Mythic Blood as I wrote up, and I intentionally have the wording vague as to what the real source of the bloodline was, and also that the character is an orphan; so Lucien's family tree is unknown. I don't think creating light as a special power is very mythic, especially compared to having cool fire protection.

I also like keeping Mentor a lot, but would prefer the -1 points to count.

I would be cool with Lucien keeping the Mentor flaw IF the mentor is someone other than Roberto. PCs should never really be a story flaw, whether it's Mentor, True Love, Animal Companion, Faerie Companion, etc.

What about: Mentor (Knights of Seneca) indicating that it is a shared responsibility and a shared duty?

I can work with that. There are several NPC Flambeau from the wiki we can use as well.
Also, I was thinking, every character is potentially an NPC depending on who is playing them and who is running the story. For example, Silveroaks "War in the Roses" story. Technically Fleur is an NPC, since Silveroak is the storyguide. If Lucien's interaction with Roberto is limited to when I am running the story, or if I am playing Carmen and someone else "borrows" Roberto, would that be considered acceptable?

No, nevermind. It is not right to play both Master and Mentor. So even further, the Mentor should be an NPC not played by me.

Good point. Will edit shortly

I have made an error. Carmen does not have Puissand Creo after all. She is School of Pietro, her Mentor. Puissant Auram.
Maybe she can teach Apt Student? Self Confident?
How tall is he? Does Carmen need to readjust her Lab to accomodate him??

Heh, how tall? Well he's 9 years old now, but that'll change in the coming years. I think that's size -1, might be -2 but he'll be -1 size very soon.

Apt Student sounds good.
Call that the School of Carmen?

The annoying part, however, is that he doesn't get the House Virtue until he's been trained for ten seasons.

Why is that?

That's what it says in Apprentices.

The idea is that that is how the virtue is passed on. Otherwise the Parens would have to spend an entire season teaching it. This why, it's sort of learned by osmosis.

So, I've thought of another possibility after reading the Knights of Seneca information. If Roberto is going to be Lucien's mentor, then I would be okay with Lucien picking up Puissant Ignem or Creo (since Roberto has both) from Roberto IF Roberto spends at least 10 seasons of one-on-one interaction with Lucien (per the rule in Apprentices). That seems to fit the theme of the Knights of Seneca since the mentoring is meant to " insure that they each learn somewhat of a diversity in magic" while keeping within the spirit of the rules in Apprentices.

That would be a big investment of time from Roberto, but, as Marko plays both Carmen and Roberto, we only have one player to convince :stuck_out_tongue: .

Minor point, it's 10 seasons of one-on-one interaction, not just teaching.

If a master has an aggressive lab schedule, using the lab every season that they aren't teaching, it can be learned in as few as 2.5 years.

Thanks for the clarification JL, that actually makes it a bit easier. So in this case Lucian could help Roberto in the lab and that could count as 1 of the 10 seasons.

That's an excellent clarification. I was worried I was going to have to wait forever to teach some Mutantum spells to Elena.

Heck, I'd go so far to say as a season of adventure with only the one magus (but including grogs and companions) would also count as one of those seasons of one-on-one interaction for these purposes, because it's about the Hermetic activity rubbing off on the apprentice.

For what it's worth: She doesn't want an apprentice, due to her backstory.

But I can totally see a plucky, curious and funny child, especially a girl, befriending Arachné, with her being the creepy old aunt, like with Lucas children.
So a kind of mentor, but without giving any points, just like you don't need a virtue or flaw to have a brave or cowardly trait

Very much so.

These rules support the idea of lineages of magi, while still allowing individual differences, which I find great and quite interesting.

For what it's worth, I'd like it too. It is great!

Agreed.
One season seeing Roberto throw Pilum of Fire at giants could certainly be enough exposure to rub on any apprentice.

I can see it now.

The Kids: "Yay, Arachne has come over for dinner. Did you bring any exploding spiders this time, Arachne, did you?"

:laughing: totally.
Especially as, with Craft Magic, she can veeeery easily make such temporary toys.