Malik ex Miscellanea

correct

If I invent a version of Inmost Companion (ArM 149) that embodies my mind in human form and has a Co req instead of An, what, if any, capacity for simultaneous action would that create?

Since hermetic magic cannot create a living human body, I would say this is impossible. As currently written it cannot even create a mindless living body, only a corpse.

How do spells of control work (ie ReMe to control a mind, ReVi to control a spirit) if they are not concentration duration? Do you have to preprogram everything? Do they allow continuing control? Is it mental or does it create an obedience to verbal commands?

Looking at ReMe 40 Enslave the Mortal Mind (ArM 152) as an example; it's not specific about this question.

It does say you control the loyalties, emotions, desires, interests, and activities which are things you could establish when you cast the spell in a general way- you are angry with Alphonse, today's plans are to confront him at work, argue with him and kill him. It does not matter if you are caught and if caught you will make a full confession. You are doing this because Alphonse beats his wife, whom you love.
Note that the spell does not affect memory- you can make the character love Alphone's wife but you cannot make them remember having loved her yesterday, or remember a beating which did not occur (though you might change their perception of actual events so they believe that he is beating her)

May I make a change before I do my advancement? I would like to change his Corpus/Mentem affinities to Rego/Vim. It won't cause anything else on his sheet to change.

It would affect your rego score, but go ahead... I'll double check the sheet you come up with before you advance.

Oh, right. I just meant I wouldn't ask to change anything else like spells etc. Change made.

approved, procede

Advancement is up. I didn't make changes to the main sheet yet, pending your approval. Also put the new spells on the same page temporarily.

I'm not sure what covenant he should be in, should I just pick one? He would try to be in one close to a muslim city.

Is the covenant of the sepulcher amenable to guests? He would have been willing to work there doing research on the covenant's behalf; if you'll allow that to happen during general advancement (1195-1199), and if so he would have tested magic on a rat, to see if an InIm spell at Arc range would persist on a rat that left the regio. He also would have tried a Sihr summoning to see if the regio blocked that.

Go ahead and make the changes to the main sheet, that way I can double check them against what I get for the same advancement period.
Covenant of the sepulcher does allow guests but it is not really a good fit, it is not so much a center for research as it is for diplomacy and community outreach (very Jerbiton centered).

I thought they had Bonisagus who left who they would be trying to replace?

It seems like the only covenant near a major Muslim city, so I think Malik would have at least visited.

Main sheet updated.

That or Mghar Suriq. You certainly could have relocated there, but helping with research as a way to pay your way wouldn't really work out at this point. There are bonisagus there, but really the Jerbiton would probably be more impressed with any knowledge of Muslim culture you had that could provide benefit to keeping the church safe and operational.

Mghar Suriq would be a worry for him because of their political alignment.

He can speak Arabic and would be willing to assist in diplomacy, though he is not a cultural expert; how much does he need to have done to earn a place?

Also if he was able to do those tests as a guest that could make the whole thing moot anyway, depending on how it turned out.

Since he doesn't have the gentle Gift they would have had him be the formal contact point with the Sahir of the order of Seuleman who had covenant specific issues to discuss. The covenant has assumed that the OoS mush have some way to block or ignore the social effects of the Gift in order to have developed the organizational structure that they have.

That works.

Did he find out whether the regio blocks arcane connections and/or summoning?

It does, but the resident bonisagus suspect this may relate to the fact that the magic regio has a strong external divine aura.

@silveroak do you need more from me, or to change the format of my advancement, or anything? Just checking in.

You needed to tell me you were finished...

where you were wandering areas (Iberia, levant) you should have put some of your points into area lore as opposed to purely arts.

A lab also cannot have more than one major focus flaw.

Additionally a major virtue requires 2 seasons to install, even when accompanied by a flaw.

Adjusted to add area lores. FYI my thinking was he was not wandering levant; he headed for Jerusalem/Covenant of the Sepulcher because of his interest in the OoS; if it would have been possible to hear of it in his travels between Iberian covenants.

He spent two seasons to add a greater feature and a greater focus. The 1/2 | 2/2 is meant to indicate that.