Malta, the long run

No book conflict.

1 Like

The sand realia is certainly acceptable, let me know when you are going to get them so I can decide if a story is involved...

I put it in as part of "Practice AL: Maltese Islands" for Summer of 1196. If it needs an adventure I can do that too. One moment, I'll try to find the other one I saw mentioned before.

A brief pre-game aspect- when you get to Ramla bay you find beautiful blue waters, a magnificent set of cliffs, soft orange sand, a magic aura of 4 and you spot a cave partway up the western cliffs...
to adventure, or not adventure?

I was just about to mention that there's a cave there that is supposedly Calypso's cave. I can't seem to find the second colored sand beach on the Maltese Islands that I thought I saw in one list. Maybe I'm confusing it with the "millions" of beaches with funky sand in Greece.

And, yes, Taliha would most definitely explore that cave (which I assume is the IC question to answer). For a number of reasons she probably would have brought a grog, primarily the "woman traveling alone" thing drawing attention but also the language thing.

Gnejna Bay also has orange sand, at least according to malta.com, though the satellite view in google earth doesn't look particularly orange... certainly a lighter color than Ramla
San Blas is supposed to have the same color sand as Ramla…
also golden bay is described as having orange-gold sand by some web sites and cream colored sand with "fine clean corns" by others, so it might have a somewhat unusual color as well...

I am trying to advance Rollon for the story at Gozo.

What kind of work would he have been doing other than the investigation in Palermo A'95? Guard duty? I reckon the only possibilities he has are exposure and practice.

He could have been practicing Arabic with Taliha or Sardinian with Archimedes, if they have had suitable work for him. What would be the SQ in that case?

SQ for practicing a language is always a SQ of 8 if being used full time (equivalent to in a community where it is the native language- other speakers have it at 5 or higher and you are speaking nearly constantly) , 4 otherwise.
presumedly practice in area lore:covenant would be a possibility with SQ of 7.

I am not sure how learnable area lores are with no sense of direction!?
That's the main reason it did not come up top of my list.

you can learn area lore, in fact it can be far more important to you, however practice, exposure, and training are the only ways for you to learn it, since directions from books or others are meaningless.

Rollon is updated. Two seasons of unspecified work, under the directions of Archimedes (improving Sardinian). Two season scouting out Malta. One season studying the covenant. OK?

It's good- he should be a year older though- also should have mentioned area lore can improve through adventure as well...

I know. Hardly relevant at this point, is it?

key words- at this point. forget a year here, a year there, and eventually they have the longevity ritual of amnesia

Sorry, I was referring to the second half of your sentence. I have added the year born to make it clear.

@silveroak how much do we know about the Triumvirate of the Roman tribunal? Also, does the elected member of the triumvirate get voted in before or after all the other business?

The triumvirate is elected after the other business. Obviously you know who the current triumvirate is, Assuming this is WRT your chances for membership:
The Consul is a very traditional, conservative Guernicus who has ambitions of becoming the house Primus. He will support any potential covenant in good standing in terms of being in a good opinion of the Primus, or which seems to be a stabilizing effect on the tribunal in terms of continuing to uphold traditions or reforming towards a more typical tribunal structure. He doesn't actually like the current peripheral code rules but he manipulates them adeptly.
the Praeco is a hidebound magus who does not like new covenants in principle, believing that magi should somehow be able to find a way to fit within the current positions and resources, and is often heard to say that the tribunal membership still isn't up to pre-schism levels and there is no need to expand until they have those numbers. Of course he is only counting citizens, so it is a catch 22 argument.
The current Elector is a Bonisagus who has a reputation for seeking compromise between any 2 positions and seeing both sides of a problem no matter how outrageous those sides may be, or even when one is clearly preferable.

We only need 2 out of 3, right?

Archimedes will ask his sodales their opinion of giving the Bonisagus a few of the statues (of each gender) to bribe him with potential research. (I'm assuming those are the only things at this site with insight).

I have no answers, only questions.

1. Is the Bonisagus bribable?
  2. Is it easier to win the triumverate than a simple majority of all the citizens?
  3. Can we win over even the hidebound magus by suggesting that we join Thebes/Iberia/Provence instead?
  1. We can try
  2. It's easy to try, convincing two people rather than half a tribunal. If it's up to the whole tribunal we have very little power to make it happen.
  3. Marcus is a lightning rod for him, he'll likely say "why don't you other two find spots like Marcus did." Plus we're way too close to Italy to reasonably join a different tribunal anyway (unless there were a northern african one).

I suspect there is an issue with Marcus anyway, being officially a member of two covenants is probably a problem. Though presenting as a two-member covenant is also a problem.

Wasn't there a new player who wanted to join the Malta covenant?