Marcus of Tytalus

You had said he was initially based off that Tytalus discussion going on, I read some of that. But what is he more specifically like with his views on Tytalan philosophy? Did his losing his legs change that at all? Why didn't he try to get his legs healed with magic (maybe curse would be more apropriate if he can't magically grow them back)? Are his enemies the Sahir (a possible link up with Alexei's little issue)?

His initial development was along the lines of instigating direct magical conflict, thriving on battle so to speak. I could change the losing his legs to a curse, Greater Malediction: Crippled would be the same thing. I was focusing on the physical aspect, how he was eventually bested and had to remake himself, so to speak. Also, at the same time, he realized his constant battles against his enemies gave them the tools to defeating him. Though he grew through the repeated battles, they grew just as much, if not more.
He now needs to focus on the needs of the Order to combat some of the coming threats. He'll undertake projects to those ends, some of these I can manage more or less. Some will require stories, or someone else to adjudicate some die rolls.

For example, he's contemplating some original Hermetic research. House Bonisagus has been deficient in this regard for centuries. If they see a Tytalus develop a Hermetic Breakthrough, well, it might spur them on to greater heights.
He'll produce art, to a degree that it is worthy of besting that of a Jerbiton.
He can already throw fire with the best of the Flambeau.

Does that make some sense? His enemies might not be Sahir or from the Levant. I could use him as a plot device to give you information on your enemies, but he couldn't be involved in those stories. Of course, you could also be used as a tool by him in defeating his enemies... A win-win situation, as they say.

Edit: Also, going back to the Intellego and Ignem, these represent an internal conflict within Marcus, the use of Magic to answer questions, satisfy the intellect or the use of it to destroy...

So he moves around by use of his Talisman, through Lifting the Dangling Puppet? Do the Sahir in Ex Miscellenea have it in for him, or might these be the kind of Sahir that Flambeau himself fought against so frequently (possibly Diabolist)? Would he know Apollodorus, or perhaps that is what's bringing him here, to compete in arts with him? What is his Familiar (he has a Loyalty trait to it)?

Yes, or he can cast a spell, but the Talisman is a a good option for him, too.

These would be more along the lines of what Flambeau battled against.

He doesn't know Apollodorus, I'll introduce him at the Tournament. :smiling_imp:

A fire drake. I might need to rework a bit on him, I'd initially bound him with Puissant Intellego & Ignem, and I need to revisit that calculation to see what might have changed.

Final draft. I'll delete the other entries shortly. I'll also provide better detail on his familiar and the 75 bps he'll bring with him.

Marcus of Tytalus
Characteristics: Int +3, Per +3, Pre - 2, Com +1, Str -3, Sta +2, Dex -3, Qik +4
Size: 0
Age: 61 (35), Height: 5'6'', Weight: 158 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 2 (10)
Confidence: 2 (5)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Affinity with Concentration, Affinity with Ignem, Affinity with Intellego, Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), Fast Caster (Initiative: +3 to cast spells in combat), Puissant Ignem, Minor Magical Focus (fire damage at a distance), True Friend (Familiar) (Bonus: +3 to appropriate Personality Traits), Hermetic Magus, Self Confident (Confidence: +1), Great Quickness × 1, Magic Addiction, Greater Malediction (Legs removed at the knees, cursed to not be restored), Enemies (Magi in the Novgorod Tribunal), Seeker
Personality Traits: Loyal (Familiar) +3
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +4, Attack , Defense +4, Damage
Fist: Init: +4, Attack 3, Defense +4, Damage 3
Kick: Init: +3, Attack 3, Defense +3, Damage +0
Soak: +5
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Flemish 5, Concentration 8 (controlling addiction), Magic Theory 6 (ignem), Area Lore: Flanders 3 (Monsters), Latin 5 (Hermetic), Parma Magica 2 (terram), Artes Liberales 3 (rhetoric), Awareness 3 (determining arts), Area Lore: Levant 2 (Jinn homes), Penetration 3 (ignem), Finesse 3 (ignem), Order of Hermes Lore 3, Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Etiquette 2 (magi), Guile 2 (lying to subordinates), Intrigue 4 (tytali cabbals), Arabic 4 (magi), German 4 (nobles), French 2 (peasant)
Arts: Cr 15, In 17, Mu 5, Pe 5, Re 15, An 7, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 12, He 7, Ig 21+3, Im 5, Me 5, Te 5, Vi 5
Equipment: Narya, a silver ring with a magnet inset in the band, and amber and ruby gems.(Creator: Marcus of Tytalus; Created: Autumn 1221; Vis Capacity: 36; Talisman; Total Pawns Invested: 6; Total Effect Level: 53; Effect Name: Ward Against Heat and Flames; Effect Level: 29; Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind, Frequency: 2/day, Trigger: Sunrise/Sunset; Arts: ReIg 25; Design: Base 4, +2 Sun, +1 Touch, +2 for +15 damage; Effect Name: Lifting the Dangling Puppet; Effect Level: 24; Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, Frequency: 2/day, Concentration, Trigger: Sunrise/Sunset; Arts: ReCo 15; Design: Base 4, +1 Conc, +1 Touch, +1 Complexity; Attunement Bonus: Amber: +3 Corpus; Magnet: +4 Rego Corpus; Ruby: +6 fire related effect)
Encumbrance: 0 (0)
Spells Known:
Pilum of Fire (CrIg 20) +61, Mastery 5 (obfuscated casting, fast casting, multiple casting, quick casting x2)
Leap of the Fire (ReIg 10) +57, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (InMe 20) +25, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Prying Eyes (InIm 5) +25, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Ball of Abysmal Flame (CrIg 35) +61, Mastery 5 (fast casting, obfuscated casting, quick casting x2, multiple casting)
Piercing the Magical Veil (InVi 20) +25, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Books That Scream In Pain (InAn(He) 25) +27, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
The Inexorable Search (InCo 20) +32, Mastery 1 (acute sense)
An Ear for Distant Bells (InIm 15) +25, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Lifting the Dangling Puppet (ReCo 15) +30, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Bitter Taste of Betrayal (InVi 15) +25, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Words of the Flickering Flame (InIg 35) +44, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Wall of Living Wood (CrHe 25) +28, Mastery 4 (fast casting, quick casting x2 , quiet casting)

Hey, I'm going to be bringing him more up to speed and more PC-like. CR has agreed to run a story for him based on his Enemies flaw. .

Marcus didn't bring any build points to the covenant, to compensate for this, I'm giving him Greater Immunity:Fire, in excess of his Virtues and Flaws limit. I'm doing this since I wrote about it back when he, Apollodorus and Mufarjj went to Thera. And I'm going to give him enough silver to cover the costs of maintaining his lab, as I've mentioned elsewhere. Any problems with this?

Also, for the Tribunal in 1221, he had the vis source yielding 10 pawns of Intellego per year, and so harvested 70 pawns of Intellego vis from 1221-1228. He performed covenant service, creating the heating system for the baths for Tribunal.

Am I missing anything? I want him to maintain the Protected Guest status, I don't have an interest in him seeking membership. I also have to determine what he scored for his place in the Tournament of 1227.

I don't have an issue with this. Might want to rebuild Narya, though, in light of that. :slight_smile:

Yeah, what I'd been considering there is just deleting the effect from the talisman and moving on...

I have no problems with this.

And there's also the issue I raised by then about your ruling of ReCo "telekinetic" flight compared to ReAu "propel" flight.
As it is, and however you take it, I can't see it following a running man, much less effortlessly Roberto's horse without any gale-force wind.

=> I'd say either we wrap that under the rug, whatever, or you should give him something to do something faster than floating gently, should you wish him to do so.

I say if you are gonna take an extra Major Virtue, take 10 Warping points and call it a lucky twilight episode

As soon as I did that with Roberto/Marcus, I had him take seasons of time to put Wings of the Soaring Wind into his talisman. I'm not going to reopen ReCo letting a person travel faster than I already ruled, which is really fast for the period, 15 mph or 24 kph.

grumble
This is harder work than I'd anticipated. Note to self, don't do this again.

What's the problem, and can we help?

Then it's an omission that needs to be corrected, no? That's the point.
As he is, he lacks any way to do anything more than just float there or vertically. I don't care what he does or how, but that's both a coherence (for the saga, which we can forget) and a character problem. Whether its CrAu or ReCo, even at your speed (which I still disagree, but whatever!!!) or slower, he should have something, no?
Or maybe this is an earlier version of marcus, at the start of the saga? Even then, you may not have noticed that he's stuck, unless he has a grog that pushes him at all times (which is, IMO, actually cool for a crippled magus)

Now, if you want to take it like that, I could say that you need to retcon all that text where he just floats gently at whatever speed he likes to include gale force winds propeling him. And maybe a bazillion finesse roll (or a different ReCo effect), since lifting the dangling puppet only moves one straight up. But, well, no, no, and no and no.
I mean, this is... How can it be that we just can't talk about these without it seeming like a confrontation??? Is it my way of writing things??? There's a problem, you can solve it or sweep it, period. I mean, what's the point of putting things up if people can't point out things like this?

Your point is moot, because I plainly stated that I'm bringing him up to date 8 posts before this one. Bringing him up to speed is the point, you're at best belaboring.

I used MetaCreator to make Narya, and when I did that, I picked the spell that had the desired Base Effect. The Base Effect 4 that I actually used is: "Move a target slowly straight up, or in one direction over surfaces that cannot support it."

Yes, Fixer, if you notice the date, this is as he was when he started the saga. No, he's not stuck, as suggested by the Base effect I quoted above.

Well one thing you can do to stop sounding confrontational is stop bringing up things we've covered, where we have disagreed. I made my ruling, you never took it to the table, yet you've continued to bring it up. I'm sorry that you don't consider 15 mph/24 kph to be quick. It most certainly is quick, because you never tire and you can keep going as long as you want. You don't seem to have a problem with Ryu's ruling over in Andorra, at least you're not continuing to argue it, so I have to ask, what's the difference? IMO, you're choosing to be confrontational, to nitpick items in order to prove your point. You aren't satisfied that I'm trying to play the saga honestly, because you see me do things that may seem inconsistent. The entire exercise of bringing Marcus up to date is making him consistent to the things I've said I've done.

When I make a ruling, I will tend to stick to it, even if it inconveniences me in the future. That's part of character development, anyway, dealing with the inconvenient things that pop up from time to time.

Marcus of Tytalus
Characteristics: Int +3, Per +3, Pre -2, Com +1, Str -3, Sta +2, Dex -3, Qik +4
Size: 0
Age: 69 (35), Height: 5'6'', Weight: 158 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 4 (23¾)
Confidence: 2 (5)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Greater Immunity (Fire), Affinity with Concentration, Affinity with Ignem, Affinity with Intellego, Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), Fast Caster (Initiative: +3 to cast spells in combat), Puissant Ignem, Minor Magical Focus (fire damage at a distance), True Friend (Familiar) (Bonus: +3 to appropriate Personality Traits), Hermetic Magus, Self-Confident (Confidence: +1), Great Quickness × 1, Magic Addiction, Greater Malediction (Legs removed at the knees, cursed to not be restored), Enemies (Magi in the Novgorod Tribunal), Seeker
Personality Traits: Loyal (Familiar) +3
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +4, Attack --, Defense +4, Damage --
Fist: Init: +4, Attack -3, Defense +4, Damage -3
Kick: Init: +3, Attack -3, Defense +3, Damage +0
Soak: +5
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Flemish 5, Concentration 8 (controlling addiction), Magic Theory 7 (ignem) (26), Area Lore: Flanders 3 (Monsters), Latin 5 (Hermetic), Parma Magica 4 (terram), Artes Liberales 3 (rhetoric), Awareness 3 (determining arts) (1), Area Lore: Levant 2 (Jinn homes), Penetration 3 (ignem), Finesse 3 (casting speed), Order of Hermes Lore 3, Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Etiquette 2 (magi), Guile 2 (lying to subordinates), Intrigue 4 (tytali cabbals), Arabic 4 (magi), German 4 (nobles), French 2 (peasant), Slavic 4, Covenant Lore: Machaera Aqua 1
Arts: Cr 15, In 17, Mu 8, Pe 0, Re 16, An 7, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 15, He 7, Ig 21+3, Im 6, Me 4, Te 5, Vi 9
Equipment: Narya (Creator: Marcus of Tytalus; Created: Autumn 1221; Vis Capacity: 36; Talisman; Total Pawns Invested: 10; Total Effect Level: 64; Design: Base 4, +2 Sun, +1 Touch, +2 for +15 damage; Effect Name: Lifting the Dangling Puppet; Effect Level: 24; Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, Frequency: 2/day, Concentration, Trigger: Sunrise/Sunset; Arts: ReCo 15; Design: Base 4, +1 Conc, +1 Touch, +1 Complexity; Attunement Bonus: Amber: +3 Corpus; Magnet: +4 Rego Corpus; Ruby: +6 fire-related effect; Effect Name: Wings of the Soaring Wind; Effect Level: 40; Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind, Requisites: Rego, Unlimited use; Arts: CrAu 30; Design: Base 5, +1 Conc, +1 Touch, +1 requisite, +2 highly unnatural); Wand of Abysmal Flame (Creator: Marcus of Tytalus; Created: Spring 1221; Vis Capacity: 15)
Encumbrance: 0 (0)
Spells Known:
Books That Scream In Pain (InAn(He) 25) +27, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Pilum of Fire (CrIg 20) +61, Mastery 5 (obfuscated casting, fast casting, quick casting, unraveling, multiple casting)
Arcane- Pilum of Fire (CrIg 30) +57, Mastery 1 (penetration)
Ball of Abysmal Flame (CrIg 35) +61, Mastery 5 (fast casting, obfuscated casting, quick casting, unraveling, multiple casting)
Last Flight of the Phoenix (CrIg 50) +57, Mastery 1 (still casting)
Words of the Flickering Flame (InIg 35) +44, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Eyes of the Flame (InIg 35) +44, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting)
Perceive the Firewalker (InIg 30) +44, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting)
Leap of the Fire (ReIg 10) +59, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Weak Boon of the Injured Traveller (CrCo 5) +33, Mastery 1 (multiple casting). Give a character a +3 bonus to Recovery rolls
Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +33, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch (CrCo 20) +36, Mastery 1 (still casting)
The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch-Diam (CrCo 25) +36, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Staunch the Weeping Wound (CrCo 30) +33, Mastery 1 (fast casting). Heal a Medium Wound
The Whole from the Part (InCo 20) +35, Mastery 1 (disguised casting)
Wall of Living Wood (CrHe 25) +28, Mastery 4 (fast casting, quick casting, unraveling, stalwart casting)
The Inexorable Search (InCo 20) +35, Mastery 1 (penetration)
Lifting the Dangling Puppet (ReCo 15) +34, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Wizard's Leap (ReCo 15) +34, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
The Leap of Homecoming (ReCo 35) +34, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (InMe 20) +24, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Prying Eyes (InIm 5) +26, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
An Ear for Distant Bells (InIm 15) +26, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Sense of Magical Power (InVi 2) +29, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Bitter Taste of Betrayal (InVi 15) +29, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Piercing the Faerie Veil (InVi 20) +29, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Piercing the Magical Veil (InVi 20) +29, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Wizard's Communion-Ritual (MuVi 30) +20, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
Maintaining the Demanding Spell (ReVi 20) +28, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Opening the Intangible Tunnel (ReVi 20) +28, Mastery 1 (penetration)
Vis: Tropea from 1221: 70 Pawns of Intellego (); Physical Form: Chess Pieces; Ignem Vis (Entrance Fee): 5 Pawns of Ignem (); Physical Form: Chess pieces;

Here's Marcus brought up to date. I'm not going to bring Ignitio along, so I don't think I need to stat him out (and advance him).
I also need to resolve some financial obligations, and Marcus's prize from the Tribunal. Incidentally, I reviewed the positioning, Marcus made the Seige of Notatus, so he has 17 prize pawns on his own! :open_mouth:

Ok, like I told you, I checked this at home.

«Lifting the Dangling Puppet” only allows vertical movement "as fast as a smoke rises", hence the name.

I’ve checked the guidelines, and I think I’ve found the problem.
Base 4 has a guidelines, named “move the target slowly straight up or in one direction over surfaces that cannot support it”, which is the one used in “Lifting the Dangling Puppet”.
The guideline you says exists, but it is base 5, not base 4 and my metacreator shows it correctly, so it seems eithers yours has a bug, or your eyes slipped.
=> You should increase the effect by 1 magnitude, and give it another name.

Base 4 indeed has a guideline that would clearly be applicable ("move the target slowly in any direction you please"), if both the other base 4 and the base 5 didn't contradict it, implying that it's any direction as long as you're over a surface that can support you, so maybe this comes from this. Confusing writing.

Now, for the record (and for what it's worth), this is exactly what I did with the base 15 ("any direction" meaning "any direction"). For what it's worth, the flight effect of Hiems should have been base 5, +2 mag for speed. And since the base is apparently the speed of a smoke rising (and not a man walking), these 2 increases would put it (for me, note) at "As fast as a man can run", which happens to be around 14mph... which is actually a little slower than what you said...

I've written a little about it, I'll post it in the forums should it interest people.

I don't care about the name, Fixer.
If anyone else has a problem with Marcus floating around at 2mph under a Base 4 guideline, and is being Warped an additional point per year because of the experience, let them speak up. You're belaboring the point. In other words, I find you're just arguing with me on something that honestly doesn't affect you. I'm glad you've finally come to the conclusion that 15 mph is quick...