Over in another thread, Xavi was asking about how to implement his house rules in Metacreator. I figured it is time to have a thread about using this great program.
Xavi's specific concern is editing the weapon stats. To do this,
- Go to File->Merge Data Sheet...
- In the dialog box for loading files, open C:\Program Files\Metacreator\ArsMagica5\ArsMagica5.mds. (Your location may very depending on where you installed metacreator)
- Save this file under a new name, say XavisHouseRules.mds or whatever.
- Now edit your data sheet to your heart's delight. Some things like the weapon stats are easy to change. Even the rules are possible to change if you can figure out the macro language and know where to look.
- Under File-> Load Data Sheet, in the right-hand column marked "Always Loaded," select ArsMagica5.mds and click the "remove" button. In the left-hand column, "Data sheet files," select XavisHouseRules.mds and click "Load Always."
Bingo! Now Metacreator will use YOUR rules instead of the official rules.
If all you want to is add things (say new spells or even new weapons and armor), then it's better to create your own data sheet from scratch and don't edit the ArsMagica5.mds sheet.
This is the basic procedure. A bit more advanced would be to split the ArsMagica5.mds into two datasheets, ArsMagica5Official.mds and XavisHouseRules.mds, and delete things from the sheets so that they don't overlap at all. That way if you upgrade to a new version of Metacreator and you get a new version of ArsMagica5.mds you don't need to re-create your house rules. (All you would need to do is delete from the new ArsMagica5.mds anything that is covered by your house rules sheet, save that as ArsMagica5Offical.mds, and set Metacreator to load it always.)
Hope this helps,