New CharGen Ideas

I looked at the income of Andorra. And it is massive. Expenses are high as well but I have yet to be in any saga that has that level of yearly surplus. :slight_smile: Fortunately for Carmen, Mateu is quite far from a ruling position in Andorra xD

Having some +1 or so swords available should be easy for Donna. Having a lot of +4 or above not so much... These are named weapons. There are less than 20 of them in Europe at a given time.

But you are not in Spain. Minor pedantic point, but Spain doesn't exist yet. In about 150 years, Castile and Aragon-Catalonia will (probably) merge to form Spain. Those two lands may yet be a bountiful market. But again, that is not where we are. Andorra, the nation, is not even an important trade route. There is one major marked nearby. Bellaquin. They hold regular Hermetic fairs ((as mentioned in Faith & Flame). The customers there would be other covenants and magi. You could also market through Barcelona. But you would need an agent somewhat like a Venditior. You could also market through House Mercere. Talk to Lucas. There are various ways you can market your goods, and it makes good story material. But this is something I want to see played out, not hand-waved with labor points.
I read up on the labor point system and how to work your way up the social scale. Similar to the ArM4 system presented in that editions version of LoM (I forget the title). But they way it works out in ArM5 rules is totally broken. It presumes the character is not part of a covenant, and the verbage given to how to play as if they are part of a covenant, very sparse and very vague. Not your fault, but you need to show more self restraint.
If he wanted a special weapon for this adventure, there are rules in the CharGen HRs to provide for that. To have Donna make one for him is good RP material. But it has to be customized and worked on as a special seasonal project.

Not true. You have played a character in this saga twice before, so that is at least two times. We are still spending resources to maintain Marcellus the Frost Giant of Ex-Miscelllanea. It is a minor expense, seeing as he is "frozen" in a small regio known as the Ice Chamber, deep beneath the covenant. But his room is kept clean and free of vermin. :smiley:
And we used to be richer. We are top shelf, yes. But I imagine we are not (yet) in the same league of power as Doisettep, Durenmar, Coeris, or Harco. We are a step lower, in league with Barcelona or Val-Negra. We have more magical power than Barcelona, but they are much wealthier.
And our wealth is not what you think. It is mostly on paper, and Carmen plays with the books. And this covenant maintains fifteen magi. Enough magi to form three our four covenants.
The wealth is meant to keep us from playing "Papers & Paychecks". Not for players to abuse. I am going to have to do some calculating and revising now :smiling_imp:

Having some +1 or so swords available should be easy for Donna. Having a lot of +4 or above not so much... These are named weapons. There are less than 20 of them in Europe at a given time.

Colada and Tizona are two such swords. I had once read that they tested the metalurgy, and indeed they contained Vandium.
I think there would be more than 20. Not much more. But estimates I have read for the population of the High Middle Ages in Europe at around one-hundred million. Say Donna is a one-in-a-million talent. There are 99 other blacksmiths on her level.
As a side note, with the Gift being a one-in-ten-thousand chance (as stated in RAW), that means there are ten-thousand Gifted humans in Mythic Europe. The Order of Hermes only represents a quarter of them.

Donna can still grow wealthy working for the covenant. I am increasing our expenses to account for it, and all armed grogs have quality armaments. I am working on an HR to account for time and quality, something that makes everyone happy. I am doing this because the idea intrigues me for now. And I wanted to revise the armaments HR anyway. C&G has started to interest me.

Donna purchased Wealthy with Labor point in 1240. What I would like to see is, over the next five years to bring her up to date, is for her to climb the social ladder. She is a Branded Criminal. The next social rank up is Covenfolk. That will knock her back down to Poor and she has to climb back up to Average then Wealthy.

You mean I have failed to live up to the expectatives of the saga before.

I was unaware that Marcellus was around! I thought he would be long gone. Marcellus was a character created before his own time. He is a a scandinavian gruagach variety through and through conceptually.

Richness-wise, I was comparing the income of andorra.compared to.other sagas.I have sen and played. It is a rich covenant. Wasn't aware that Carmen had invented creative accounting before Investment banking dudes did it. Basically Andorra has a "money does not matter for anything that is not a crazy project" level. I actually like it. It removes one of the roadblocks to playing magi instead of accountants.

Colada and tizona, they have one of them. Supposedly. It is not clear it is the real thing (iirc it was proven otherwise, in fact, but will need to check.
Not bad numbers there. But I do not see colada and tizona being +5 weapons. Maybe +2 at most. Probably just named normal swords in the real world, but in mythic Europe they certainly deserve a bonus. +5 is Excalibur. Colada And tizona never performed feats by themselves. It was their wielder that was the source of their power. Good swords, but IMO not magical.

I find the Order represents a too high percentage of gifted people. But that is me.

My suspicion is that while Donna may well be a one in a million character (in large part because people tend not to push themselves once they reach a certain comfort level), that would not represent 99 other smiths of her level, but more likely 99 other craftspeople of her level. So somewhere out there is a mason of similar ability who is probably making truly awesome cathedrals, for example.
As for what proportion of gifted people the order represents, I usually take that as the percentage of people it believes it represents. after all if they have a reputation for the whole "join or die" thing its not like people are rushing to introduce themselves...

1 Like

You have failed nothing. I mention him mainly to tease you. But the concept could make for a great potential story someday.

She didn't invented. Italian financiers and Templars did. House Mercere and elements of Jerbiton (Franc Several from Barcelona) have expanded upon it. Carmen learned from them and is making her own advancements.

There is doubt if it is authentic, and if it is they don't know which one it is. I think that is the case.

1 Like