New Tribunal of Iberia book (in Spain)

For me, reading Spanish is much easier than listening to Spanish. But then, speaking Spanish is easier for me than writing it! Mi vocabularia es principalmente malas palabras, comida, y utensiles de la cocina.

3 Likes

We tried to make life a bit harder for Goole with this one. There are covenant names in Arab, in Latin and, I think, one in Hebrew. A couple Catalan place names around too. All of them with our "peculiar" pronunciation, of course!

(Just kidding... I hope you like these previews as much as we enjoy making them... and thanks Valerian for pushing them around).

6 Likes

If there's a name actually written in Hebrew, and correctly, I'd be happy...

4 Likes

Could we eventually get a summary for this one as well? Would be mighty appreciated.

1 Like

I don't know about that but @amseriad is a stickler for rigour and Maimonides is a source for the book, so...

1 Like

Is that a pawn of vis I see in your pocket?

4 Likes

I'd be more than happy to review how it's written, even if it's just that. Hebrew is my mother tongue.

1 Like

Nice to meet you, @Red-Shadow-Claws. We have used the Spanish transliteration of the Hebrew words, always taken from specialized studies done by Hebraists (ʿĂrābôt and ʿÔlām wā-ʿed are just two examples). So we have not written any letter of the Hebrew alphabet, nor of the Arabic alphabet (except the Alif). The reason for this decision is explained in the book in great detail. You will also be able to find all the consulted references (like for example the Spanish translation of The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela by José Ramón Magdalena Nom de Déu).

4 Likes

Please, let me speak with the Redcaps...

2 Likes

:eyes: :sweat_drops:

Oh well, guess every bit helps.
[+1 Vis gained]

1 Like

I'm eager to see this translated eventually. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those who asked, I'm not sure if Valerian will make a full-fledged review of the video, but here's a summary:

First, each of the five "christian" kingdoms in Iberia (each with a full chapter in the book) are briefly discussed from a mostly mundane point of view, even though some hermetic details are given. From west to east, these are:

• Portugal, a really young kingdom at the time, only being independent for less than a century. The area still has a strong Crusader presence in 1220 (Iberian Crusades will be discussed in the book, as well as the different military Orders of the Peninsula), and the capital is not Lisbon yet, but will soon be. Portugal also holds one of the two great Mercer Houses in the Tribunal, Porta Pandere, that plays a key role in the Western part of the Tribunal and also in the (really limited) presence of the Order of Hermes in Northern Africa.

• León, in the Northwestern area of Iberia, a kingdom that in 1220 is ruled by king Alfonso X, 49 years old, who is about to launch an algara (raid) against the Almohade capital of al-Andalus: Seville. Its "provinces" are then discussed: Galicia, with a description of the Way of Saint James and some Galaic legends, Asturias (where Duresca lies), the Bierzo, León, the Leonese Extremadurra and the Transierra (where lies Salama, a convenat discussed in a previous video).

• Castille, ruled by young Fernando IIII, the son of Alfonso IX of León. He still has not made up his mind to follow the call to crusades made by Pope Honorius III in 1219 to fight the Almohads. Again, the kingdom's "provinces" are discussed: Castille, the Extremadura, the Transierra and Toledo (where transhumance, Toledo's treasures and the School of Translators are all discussed).

• Navarre, a really small kingdom in Northern Iberia, ruled by an old, giant-blooded king. Its two "provinces", Tierra Estela and Tudela, are discussed.

• The Crown of Aragon, a kingdom born from the recent union between the Kingdom of Aragon and the Catalan Counties. After the recent and hard defeat at Muret, Aragon's dream of expanding northwards has been obliterated, and its infant king, legendary James the Conqueror, will in a few years expand eastwards. In Barcelona is the other powerful Mercere House, Aedes Saturni. Also, the Romanic monasteries and the Almogàvers are briefly discussed. In the west of the Kingdom is Zaragoza, a crucible of cultures and the seat of the short-lived al-Andalus Tribunal, that existed for a short time in the eleventh century.

(The last Iberian "kingdom", al-Andalus, occupying the whole south of the Peninsula, will be discussed in a future video).

After discussing the kingdoms, the video shows a sneak peek at one full-page illustration (the building of Seville's Tower of Gold) and, most importantly, the cover, representing one of the aforementioned Tribunals of al-Andalus, held in the "Palace of Joy" in Zaragoza.

Finally, two covenants were briefly discussed, as in previous videos. The first was Resurgens, a young Jerbiton covenant in Lisbon. Its members are deeply embroiled in mundane society, and are working behind the scenes to help make Lisbon the new Portuguese capital.

The other covenant is Ŷezirat Tennyn (in arab, "Dragon Island"). It was founded by a Redcap and an Ex Miscellanea who were searching for the huge treasures hidden in the namesake island, that according to legend was protected by a creature fallen from the moon sphere. However, when they reached the Fortunate Islands, where wise men go to offer all they knowledge to the community, they lost interest in the magical treasures of the Dragon Island. One day, the two founders disappeared (probably moved to the Fortunate Islands) and left as the new leader a young Ex Miscellanea apprentice maga who is not really sure about what to do now...

And I think that's it, mostly...

12 Likes

A preview of the cover of the Tribunal of Iberia.

11 Likes

Hi! Since you brought up Portugal and Lisbon, I have a rather specific question about the book, which I’m hoping you can answer.

In 1220, the entire country of Portugal has been under papal interdiction for eight years, since 1212 when Alfonso II was excommunicated by Honorious III. Historically, this lasts until 1223 when Alfonso dies.

Interdiction has very specific effects on divine auras in ArM5, reducing all such auras by 1 every year. After 8 years of this, most divine auras in Portugal and Lisbon are gone. The Infernal might flourish in such an environment.

Does your book include the papal interdiction of Portugal, and it’s effects on divine auras in the city of Lisbon?

5 Likes

Hi! All I can say is that we have taken into account the excommunication of Alfonso II by Honorius III :wink:. Thanks for the heads up!

6 Likes

Cool, I learned something today!

4 Likes

Same - and damnit we need this in english!!

6 Likes

A note- papal interdiction only affects catholic oriented divine auras, so muslim auras might be maintained in the area (as would any magical or faerie auras- and I think when it comes to establishing an aura from scratch Faeries would be faster than the infernal since they don't require human assistance.. though that might be better as its own thread...

Are you sure? I checked and so far have only found the excommunication of the king and his ministers, not the interdict over Portugal.
The king came into conflict with the pope, because he withdrew from many of the endowments and concessions his father Sancho I had made to the Church in Portugal. So an interdict over all of Portugal - and lasting years - would have damaged especially those bishoprics and monasteries whose side the pope took in their conflict with the crown.

EDIT: The party of king Afonso II might after 1220 and until 1223 have been under the anathema, a major excommunication casting it out of the Catholic Church. I don't think that his many opponents from Church and nobility in Portugal felt under the interdict because of that.

1 Like

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Portugal (newadvent.org)
mentions three interdicts in the general time period, though I couldn't find dates for 2 nd the third is certainly after 1220, so it seems plausible to me.