Old memories (Antonius Laboratory)

Antonius Laboratory, Winter 1220

Virtues and Flaws:

[table][tr][th]Virtue/Flaw[/th][th]Type[/th][th]Effects[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Superior construction[/td][td]Structure, free virtue[/td][td]+3 safety, +3 aesthetics[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dedicated building[/td][td]Structure, free virtue[/td][td]+1 aesthetics, +1 upkeep, +1 rego[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Auspicious shape[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+3 aesthetics, +3 vim[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Gallery[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+3 safety, +3 aesthetics, +3 teaching[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Spacious[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+2 safety, +1aesthetics[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Well Insulated[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+3 safety, +3 aesthetics[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Labyrinth[/td][td]Supernatural, minor flaw[/td][td]-1 safety, -2 aesthetics, +6 vim, -1 health[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lesser Expansion[/td][td]Outfitting, minor virtue[/td][td]+1 rego, +2 upkeep, +1 general quality[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Missing equipment[/td][td]Outfitting, minor flaw (corpus, mentem)[/td][td]-1 upkeep[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Superior equipment[/td][td]Structure, free virtue[/td][td]+1 safety, +1 vis extraction, +1 general quality[/td][/tr][/table]

Statistics:

[table][tr][th]Attribue[/th][th]Score[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Size[/td][td]+6(5 used, -1 health) ([/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Refinement[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]General Quality[/td][td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Upkeep[/td][td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Safety[/td][td]+11[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Warping[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Health[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aesthetics[/td][td]+7[/td][/tr][/table]

Specialization:

[table][tr][th]Specialization[/th][th]Score[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td][td]+3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rego[/td][td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vim[/td][td]+9[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vis Extraction[/td][td]+1[/td][/tr][/table]

Paphos and Penko were pouring over plans and drawing of the future hospital, layed on a table with next to a plum bob and a dirty cisel. Occasionnaly, one of them would put his finger on the parchment, and then at parts of the structure being erected, occasionnaly arguing about the appropriate way to proceed forward. Antonius, his own drawing in hands, walked the path towards the top of the hills and the other temples, being slowly absorbed day after day into the foundation of the new structure.

After walking around a pile of cut limestone blocks, he greated the two men, who he had know since he joined the caravan years ago.

"Greetings ! I know that you must be quite busy right now, but I was wondering if you could spare me a few hours. You see these old ruins over there ?" He point towards the remains of the temple he claimed earlier "I plan to rebuild it, but... " He unrolls the parchment that he was holding " But... I will not be able to do it withouth your help and your knowledge. My work.... is amateurish at best."

Penko and Paphos glance towards each other as if gauging heir suitability. Penko is better at design, but Paphos has greater familiarity with the ruins. Paphos nods almost imperceptibly, remembering a minor detail of their recent excursion. I'd be happy to help you with the ruins. In fact, He pauses for dramatic effect, "You may recall the sketches I made from inside the temple regione. If you are truly trying to rebuild true then our work is mostly done for us. In fact, I could also likely do the wall etchings in a manner more... suitable... to that of an Hermetic magus. Perhaps a section of the wall could be used as a design board able to be rearranged by command? A physical aid in the lab that could also add a suitable Rego specialty, I would think.

OOC, I believe the physical structure would be separate from the art. Do the build first, then he could enchant a lesser feature in the wall etchings.

"Indeed, I had planned to rebuild according to the temple we witnessed. However, it might not be exactly the same. Whatever purposes this temple had, it is long forgotten." He thinks for a moment, and then add:

"Penko will help me with the structure, I trust his instinct and his experience. I've seen him many times over the caravan years supervising teams of masons and carpenter during the excavations. He has a visceral understanding of this kind of ancient structures. No doubt he will be able to direct me in the use of my art."

"You'd be more welcome to use your art once the temple stands again, and I fact, I would gladly appreciate it, because only a few can claim to be as divinely inspired as you. But, I came here with another project in mind today, maybe the project of an entire life." He pauses. "I've been going over the notes and sketches of Jarcovius for a while now. There are volumes of them, and it is no surprise because we have been to so many places."

He pauses and look around them:

"you know while we were travelling, I was there more to protect the caravaneers from ghosts and faeries away than to actively research per say. But now things are changing, we've settled down... and the memories of thoses days are slowly fading away, and one day, nothing will remain of Jarcovius dream except for dusty tomes in our library. I feel ... that it might be worth protecting, you know ? So we never forget...."

He looks Paphos in the eyes, almost and then show the outer wall with his hand:

"That is perhaps your own Gift, what your carve out of the stone will continue amaze people when you and I are nothing but dust. I was thinking ... that maybe you could immortalize the caravan's voyages in the stone of the wall that circles the covenant, so that our tale, like those of carved the bas-reliefs we saw, is remembered."

Paphos gives a thinly disguises "Hrummmph when Antonius chooses Penko, but respects his work too much to argue. ""Here," he says, thrusting the sketches into Penko's hands. "You'll need these."

Penko is little startled, but willing to do the design work. "I won't be spending too much time in the aura, will I? I like having only two eyes, you know. A quick survey, and then I can oversee while you do the work."

"I don't think you'll need to spend enough time in the aura to suffer any consequences. Magic can accomplish incredible things in short period of times, but we'll see; this is my first time restoring a centuries old temple. "

Apolegetic, he says to Paphos.

"My intention was not to offend you; I am sorry. You are immensely talented and I value that, but Penko is more knowledgeable in architecture. When we are mostly done with the structure, Paphos, if you still want, your art will give bact its soul to this site of power that has been silent for far too long. This way, at least one of you will be able to supervise the construction of the hospital."

"Penko, come and see me when you are done here, and we will discuss it further."

He then walk a few steps towards the way he came. Dissapointed by the fact that Paphos about did not even consider his idea of engraving in stone the caravan history, the magus will stop, turn back and make a last attempt:

"I would personnaly make sure you have enough ressource to execute this project if you think that you can meet this challenge. Money, vis, and even a team of talented sculptors for you to lead."

Then he will head off to the ruined temple.

Later that day, Penko joined Antonius, who was sitting at a sturdy oaken table installed in the center of the ruined eastern temple. The magus was scribing on a parchment, and Penko did not dare disturb the magus while he was still writing. He stood there, in silence, for an akward minute, peering over Antonius shoulder. On the parchment, he could discern a rough plan of the temple, but many of the symbols around he did not recognize.

"Thanks for coming, Penko. As you can see, the temple's restoration will be a difficult. I am convinced, however, that our cooperation will produce something great ! Let us do a preliminary survey, would you", said Antonius, putting his quill on table and getting up.

"When I dissapeared with Paphos and Julia for some time, we were transported to a temple very similar to what I guess would have been this structure eons ago. I wish you could have seen it, as it was trully something to behold. Paphos drew some of it, maybe he will show them to you someday. But, I don't plan to rebuild it exactly as it was. You see, the practice of magic is a personnal thing, and whomever occupied it before had different connections to their art than mine."

Antonius stop speaking, as Penko inspect part of a wall that still standind, and when he is done, the magus continues:

"Symbolism is crucial as well, as magic may be more powerfull in when practiced in an environment attuned to the purpose the magus or maga. But enought of this theoritical discourse, I'll express what I structure I want, and you will be able to guide me. For the next months, you'll give me directions and I'll obey them, as would an apprentice."

Now standing in the middle of the temple, Antonius will point towards the sky, and say:

"Here, I envision a circular dome, atop a tholobate pierced with stained-glass windows depicting the glory of Heaven and our Lord. A gallery will run around the dome inside, overlooking the laboratory below, with stairs coming down on each of the side of the building. The wall themselves will be similar to those of the others temples, but in the center apse, there will be a bas relief, with the all the founders of the Order of Hermes, during the First Tribunal."

As they move towards what was once the entrance, Antonius will describe what he envisionned for this space:

"To enter my sanctum and laboratory, visitors will have to go through a dark underground labyrinth. This will represent Hell, and the convoluted scheme of demons, as well as the temptation to sin that all must face. Here, where we stand, stairs will emerge from the ground, and a statue of Archangel Michael's will stand guard. This is about it."

"So.... where do we begin, Penko ?"

Here is what I am aiming for my final laboratory. Please comment Silveroak.

Virtues and Flaws:

[table][tr][th]Virtue/Flaw[/th][th]Type[/th][th]Effects[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Superior construction[/td][td]Structure, free virtue[/td][td]+1 safety, +1 aesthetics[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dedicated building[/td][td]Structure, free virtue[/td][td]+1 aesthetics, +1 upkeep, +1 rego[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Auspicious shape[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+1 aesthetics, +1 vim[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Gallery[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+1 safety, +1 aesthetics, +1 teaching[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lesser feature(dome with stained-glass)[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+1 aesthetics, +1 rego[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lesser feature(aspe with bas-relief)[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+1 aesthetics, +1 vim[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lesser feature(statue)[/td][td]Structure, minor virtue[/td][td]+1 aesthetics, +1 vim[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Underground labyrinth[/td][td]Supernatural, minor flaw[/td][td]-1 safety, -2 aesthetics, +2 vim , -1 health[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Opulent[/td][td]Outfitting, minor virtue[/td][td]+2 aesthetics, +1 upkeep, +1 teaching, +1 health[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lesser expension[/td][td][/td][td]+2 upkeep, +1 vim, +1 general quality[/td][/tr][/table]

Statistics:

[table][tr][th]Attribue[/th][th]Score[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Size[/td][td]+6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Refinement[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]General Quality[/td][td]+1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Upkeep[/td][td]+3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Safety[/td][td]+1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Warping[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Health[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aesthetics[/td][td]+7[/td][/tr][/table]

Specialization:

[table][tr][th]Specialization[/th][th]Score[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td][td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rego[/td][td]+2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vim[/td][td]+6[/td][/tr][/table]

Dome with stained-glass: Symbolize heaven and God

Aspe with bas-relief of the Founders: Symbolize earth, and the practice of magic. Also, its presence between Heaven and Hell, symbolize the fact that magi are capable of performing great good or great evil.

Statue of Archange Michael's victory over Satan: Symbolize the use of Vim to ward against and slay demons.

Underground labyrinth: Symbolize Hell and demons.

"That's.... Impressive. Penko likes this a lot. He's not particularly religious himself, having grown up seeing firsthand just how many religions have fallen into dust over the ages. But the imagery is ambitious, and certainly within the means of a master crafter and a a rego-mage. After spending some time with his measuring sticks and testing the strength of the remaining walls he has some preliminary conclusions.

"First, I think it would be best to include as much of the old structure as is possible to preserve. They are impregnated with the magical residue of millennia of worship and I would think you might risk the integrity of the aura to tinker with them too much. What we can do is build a facade over them that includes reinforcements that can be load bearing. I do see some difficulties, but I'm sure we can work them out.

First, you mention a lab and sanctum, but according to my measurements, you have dedicated all the space available to just the lab."

(OOC - lab +6 is 2000 ft sq, the full size of Temple 4)

"There are several possibilities for your sanctum. First is either above or below the lab proper. Above would be more difficult simply because of the shape of the dome. Below would be a simple excavation. Also there is a the possibility of having your sanctum outside the aura, either fully connected to the lab, or in a separate location. If you exercise the outside the aura option, you would need to decide whether to have the order of passage be labyrinth-sanctum-lab, or labyrinth-lab-sanctum.

Another difficulty will be the dome. You may not realize how close to the surface these ruins are and I'm afraid extending the design upwards would either require adding an above ground portion of the structure, or it would require digging deeper with the dome area about where we are now and everything else at a lower depth. Obviously this would require a further aura survey to determine how deep it goes. If you choose to extend above, the dome/gallery portion would be built partially or fully above ground and could either be a worked stone "bubble" above ground, or we could camouflage it with an artificial hill above it.

OOC: If you don't let Talus do the stained glass, he'll never forgive you. :wink:

If I understand things properly, Talus with his magical glass making ability should be able to give people the Superior Equipment Virtue without the added Upkeep. His 11 Finesse corresponds to a Craft skill of 8, which is higher than the 6 listed for Superior Equipment.

Do I have that right?

I just reviewed the section, and that is my understanding as well. For Tools, I would expect to need a blacksmith, but I think it may be possible for Tartessos, Antonius or Talus to SPONT a rego craft for smithing. I'll look into this more.

Edit: Tartessos has a casting total of 43 using loud/proud and ceremonial casting. He can cast The Phantom Blacksmith (Covenants pg 51) to make Superior Tools. Talus and Antonius could do the same if they have a casting total of 40 or more.

For Labyrinth to be part of a supernatural flaw it would have to be part of the lab, or it's entryway, not beneath it. Unless you are making an underground labrynth as the entrance (the lab proper can only occupy one floor). If you are not using a preexisting structure this is going to be essentially 20 lbs silver worth of structure, though if you are not using Paphos to improve the bonuses you may as well use magic to build it.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that it needs to be part of the laboratory, and that laboratory needs to be on one floor. You are right, I was thinking of having it as the entrance.
You would take stairs down, cross the labyrinth and take stairs up to enter the lab, and you would have the statue of St. Michael close to the top of the stairs.

I think it can be considered adequate for the Labyrinth flaw.

I think what Silveroak was getting at was that in order to be a lab flaw, it has to be inside the lab, on the same level, inside temple 4 boundaries. If you have it on another level, or outside the entrance to temple 4, it will be a labyrinth but won't count as the flaw (just a really cool entrance).

I find it really weird that a labyrinth inside your 2000 ft sq does not use up space; instead it miraculously gives you the equivalent of an additional 500 ft sq.

One solution would be to have the entrance to the labyrinth at the entrance to the temple and taking up one aspe. When you exit, you have the cool stuff you described, just slightly further in. Another solution would be to have the labyrinth not be a lab flaw (could even be outside the aura).

I think the rule stating that a lab needs to be on the same floor is to prevent a magus or maga from increasing their laboratory size by setting it up on separate floors. This is clearly not the case here,as it is only an entrance that does not add additionnal space.

Also, flaws never takes space, but enable a magus to take a virtue, as per p.113. The + and - system for lab space is more an abstraction, than a +1 virtue taking actually 500 ft .

I would have like to get Paphos bonuses, but there is only so much that he can do in a season; plus that gives some of the spotlight to Penko. I will do it with Rego Craft magic, under Penko's supervision.

silveroak: How long would it take to build 20 lbs worth of building with Rego Craft ? Also, you mentionned that I would need to do rolls to get superior construction, do you want many ? If so, how many ?

Int+finess=9
ReHe spont(no fatigue)=20+5+2/5=5
ReTe spont (no fatigue)=20+10+2/5=6

one day craft total:9, castings for 1 years work= 130 castings for 5.5 lbs worth of work
one month craft total:6 castings for 1 year worth of work= 6 castings for 3.5 lbs of work
one season craft total:3... this is apprentice level really but until we add the finess die 2 casting for 2.5 lbs of work
figuring an average die roll of 5 since we are dealing with a signifigant number of castings:
one day total:14, 130 castings for 8 lbs of work
one month total:11 6 castings for 6.5 lbs of work
one season total:8 2 castings for 5 lbs of work
So assuming we go with the last, 8 castings means less than 1/4 minute.

I realized I sidestepped a question without intending to, regarding rolling for quality:
you will be adding 1 die to each quality total: the more 'rolls' you make the higher the base quality of the work, but the overall quality will be based on the average of your rolls.

For a days work at a time you can roll 130 castings (1 year's labor) with craft quality 9+average die roll worth 5+(average die roll/2) lbs of work on the lab
for a month's work at a time you can roll 6 times with craft quality 6+ average die roll worth 3.5 +(average roll/2)lbs of work
a season at a time you can roll twice for quality 3+ average die roll adding 2.5+(average roll/2)lbs of work

In order to qualify for superior construction you have to have a craft total of 12, or would, except that by nature of the fact you are doing this with magic it is automatic.
to have excellent construction you have to have a craft total of 15 or higher

also the 3 lesser features, opulent and expansive will need to be added in future seasons.
also keep in mind that a lab with upkeep +3 costs 6 lbs/yr to maintain, compared to 1 lb/yr for an average lab, so you might want to make sure your fellow magi are on board with supporting that.

The way I see it is this: Penko will plan what needs to be done for the walls. Antonius

use rego craft to shape one block of stone described by the foreman, and then use rego

to move it in place. Penko will inspect the work, see how the stone fits, and then

Antonius will make additionnal rego craft shaping as required. So building the wall and

labyrinthic entrance will probably not be that hard.

I'll treat a ten the opposite of a one, i.e. negatively explosing dices.
50 Raw die rolls (added parenthesis and results of exploding ones and tens.

9 - (1 - 1 - 5=20) - 5 - 2 - 6 - 9 - 3 - 8 - 8 - (1 - 2 = 4) - (1 - 10=10) - 7 - 4 - 3 -

4 - 8 - 4 - (1 - 7=14) - 7 - (10 - 7=-14 )- (10 - 4=-8) - 3 - 9 - 7 - 5 - 7 - 4 - 4 - 4

• 6 - 7 - 8 - 4 - (10 - 10 - 1= - 20) - 5 - 5 - 9 - 9 - 6 - 8 - 4 (Avg: 5,64)

Average = 5.048
Number of die rolls = 41

50 Raw die rolls
3 - 4 - 5 - 3 - 6 - 9 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 2 - 3 - 6 - 4 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 9 - 7 - 6 - (1 -

8=16) - 5 - (10 - 9=-18) - 4 - (1 - 3=6) - 3 - 2 - 9 - 5 - 6 - 9 - 7 - 3 - (1 - 5=10) -

8 - 5 - (10 - 2=-4) - (1 - 1 - 3=12) - 7 - 5 - 7 - 3 - 2 (Avg: 4,88)

Average =5.09
Number of die rolls =43

It seems fairly conclusive that the average roll will be 5 if enough die rolls are made.

So I won't roll the rest but there should be like 66 more die rolls)

General structure: Int 3 + Finesse 7 + Puissant Finesse 2 + 4 IOQ Workglove +3

familiarity - 0 +5 average die roll = 24 (21 without familiarity)
Total of 24 for Superior construction virtue

Total of pounds of masonry done = 10 lbs

Building the ceiling, however, will be way harder. I feel that it should be more akin to

a year's work. I will use 2 points of confidence for the ceiling to counter the -6

penalty, partially offsetting the penalty. I also think that I should roll a separate

die for the virtue.

1 die roll: 6
Ceiling + Dome + Gallery : Int 3 + Finesse 7 + Puissant Finesse 2 + 4 IOQ Workglove +0

familiarity* - 9 year + 2 x 3 confidence points+6 die roll =19

*(I did not add +3 for familiarity in this case as it is a new design.)

Total of 19 for Gallery virtue

Total of pounds of masonry done = 10 lbs

Once this is done, I will ceremonially cast The ambulatory laboratory to move the

material from the laboratory I use from the caravan into my new sanctum.

ReTe(Aq,He,An) 30

2 sta + 23 rego + 5 herbam + 10 aura + 5 artes liberales + 1 philosophae + 1 exagerated

moves + 1 loud words + 9 die roll =57 + 3 confidence = 60

Finesse roll: 2 per + 7 finesse + 2 puissant finesse - 6 radically different (tent vs

large temple) + 4 die roll = 9
Ease factor = 9

Damn, lost the rest of the post due to innactivity. :frowning:

Here we go again !

At game start, the lab should have these virtues and flaw:

-Superior construction (free)
-Dedicated building (free)
-Auspicious shape (might have been lost due to the modifications made to the shape of the temple)
-Gallery (I will spend the Fall season installing it)
-Labyrinth
-Missing ingredient (corpus, mentem) (to reduce upkeep to 0)

What each of them give will be depend on your review of what apply or not for the finesse totals.

Where does the negatively exploding 10 come from? Aside from which you should be using simple, not stress dice...
the result however is the same:
Superior construction (free) +3 safety, +3 aesthetics
-Dedicated building (free) +1 upkeep, +1 aesthetics, +1 Re
-Auspicious shape (might have been lost due to the modifications made to the shape of the temple) +3 aesthetics, +3 Vi
-Gallery (I will spend the Fall season installing it) Gallery is legitimately structural and does not need to be installed: +3 safety +3 aesthetics, +3 teaching
-Labyrinth -1 safety, -1 health, -2 aesthetics, +6 vim
-Missing ingredient (corpus, mentem) (to reduce upkeep to 0) -1 upkeep