OOC chat

@Red-Shadow-Claws What's your plan for Okeannetis? It's been a while since you've posted, so just thinking about how to orient myself in this respect. Would you be interested in joining Argentius' murder storyline, for instance, when the murderous grogs return to the covenant?

1 Like

There is something surreal about watching Lares conduct the trial. I think I need to pop some popcorn to watch the drama unfold!

1 Like

How's the Europe trip going? Seems stuck?

1 Like

I think it is progressing again.

I've been feeling demotivated from replying the past few days, sorry for any inconvenience.

1 Like

sorry, I was in holiday and with a dead in the family of my husband. That was hard for me to find motivation for gaming.
I hope that will be easy these next days.

1 Like

No problem, life happens.

Sorry for your loss, @Lothindil. Never easy when you lose people. All the best!

Just checking in on the Europe group and others since it's been fairly quiet. I realize it's the summer so just checking in.

@raccoonmask /Plasmatoris is out until the end of the month on travel.
@Lothindil /Tastheus is tied up on the homefront.
@temprobe /Aetherius is around but tied up on a couple other fronts.
@Panopticon /Zarkut has been quiet since July 5.

@Red-Shadow-Claws /Okeannitis hasn't posted here since May but appears to be active on the ArM main forum and in the Wake of the Schism game. I believe Okeannitis is in a lab/familiar season at the moment.

Kudos to @Seon for his great work as Lares! Super fun to read how Lares is handling things on the homefront.

1 Like

A note as well- while not as dramatic as a death in the family (sorry about your loss Lothindil) my metamour (aka my wife's other husband) is in the hospital and has had his foot amputated as a result of a combination of open wound, infection, and broken heel. Obviously I am still here, but I expect the recover will take months.

1 Like

Damn, sounds awful. I wish them a rapid recovery.

I used AI art to create an image of the covenant. It's not quite spot on, but close enough, perhaps.

1 Like

@Seon That is really, really nice. It evokes a really nice sense of what Al Kufra might look like. Wow! Thank you!

What tool did you use to make it?

It's "AI Art" by latitude software. Here: https://ai-art.latitude.io/

I'm in line for a beta acces to Dall-e 2, which should be way better still. If you're into this stuff, join the waiting list: DALL·E 2

1 Like

How do you feel about taking on new players now that we're contacting the outside world, @silveroak ? Whaler has already stated that he won't be continuing, so we might consider replacing him.

I just noticed this looking-for-game post from June, how about it? I don't think he's in a game yet, but has continued posting: New player looking for PbP game

1 Like

That would be fine.

@dzoonooqua Our GM has given his blessing to you joining the campaign. Would you be interested? Maybe check out some of the earlier threads, especially the "investigations" thread, to get a feel for things. The gist of it is a covenant of surprisingly rejuvenated magi are trying to manage the Autumn covenant that their post-rejuvenation old selves left them. It's in the Libyan desert mountains and there are three groups of covenfolk that don't get along so great.

Completely unrelated: What would be the base PeIg to reduce the body heat of a person slightly, enough for them to feel comfortable in hot weather? Base 4 is "chill a person enough for them to lose a fatigue level", so would comfortable cooling a'la "medieval air conditioning" be base 3 or base 2?

Also: to what degree is the difficulty of traveling from the covenant to the oasis due to terrain and to what degree distance? I.e. how much faster could you make it just by building a proper road or something?

1 Like

I would avoid going down that route. First, as you note, perdo ignem doesn't merely chill a person slightly without inventing additional guidelines. On an individual level, Rego Ignem is probably more appropriate to ward against heat. Secondly, if you want to chill the covenfolk through either of those methods, you're looking at an effect that is probably a ritual or a constant enchantment that will plausibly warp everyone. Not a good idea. Viable alternatives to indirectly cool the covenant include:

• Perdo Ignem Base 5 to keep perpetually frozen blocks of air, and take advantage of how ice should cool down the ambient air;
  • Creo, Muto or Rego Auram effects for breezes, which may require an Ignem requisites depending on how much you intend to alter the temperature or merely alleviate excessive heat.
1 Like

If you want to cool the air I would use 4 "cooling ashes to be warm" as the guideline. If you are cooling people directly then 3 would suffice (3 would also make the desert air better, just not all the way to comfortable), but affecting people directly will also cause warping.

Right now the path to the oasis is a winding series of passes through mountainous terrain. Making it a proper road along the same route would allow wagons and easier transportation of cargo but wouldn't really reduce the length of the journey. Traveling as the bird flies if you wanted to tunnel through mountains or something the trip is 46 miles, so it will still be a couple of days travel even with horses or camels, but significantly faster than the 1 week it currently takes.

PS. after reading Temprobe's post I have this image of using ReIg to move the oppressive heat away from the covenant and into a "heat shield" surrounding the covenant.

3 Likes

You are right, of course, thanks. Too many rules for my tiny brain to keep track of, as usual.

I think the most economical way of affecting the whole covenant at once is CrAu. Basically make a base 2 version of "Charge of the Angry Winds", so it generates just a normal "wind" instead of the "gale force" wind at base 3. The wind would be a 100 paces wide, as per the Charge of the Angry Winds spell's description. This should have a substantial cooling effect without messing anything else up. The spell would be level 10 due to the lower base.

Lares could make it into a spell and cast it once a month together with his Moon-duration Maintaining spell. Argentius could probably quite easily enchant something like this, too - haven't done any math for either yet.

Are there any flaws in my reasoning?