OOC Chatter: Anything goes!

Oh, wow. Get better.

Chris

Thanks, already am. This was the final step, it's a great relief.

I'm not sure what guidelines you're using-- I was referring to Impression of the Faded Sigil and Sight of the Sigil, which both add "+3 Details" for picking up the sigil and how the spell works. I'd say you'd need all of that information, otherwise you have no idea if you're picking up the sigil from the correct spell.

It was Momentary-- it turned into sand and fell into the water, where it turned back into wood (albeit splinters) right away. The big factor to its level was Sight range. The effect was level 15.

The guidelines on spell detection in the Guernicus section show that the spell magnitude halves after the effect completes and then decays further; the effect in question would be at level 0 in a little over a minute (and it takes longer than that for Sanno to fish Rhodri out of the drink). So you're looking at an Intellego Vim of base 5, +4 for Sight, +3 for details.

I'm thinking there's probably a couple magi who could spont a level 40 InVi in some very special circumstances, but it sure as heck isn't any of y'all :slight_smile:

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody :slight_smile:

Happy post-Thanksgiving! Stuffed on Animal and Herbam vis! :wink:

Not really. Your character has no idea what is rolled, and besides that, Second Sight lets you see a regio boundary only if you're capable of mundanely perceiving it. Rhodri had no chance to see the entrance to the regio entrance because he can't see through the mound of earth piled on top of it.

That said, the EF is 5 + twice the difference in aurae. With a roll of 3 you'd only be able to see the boundary if the aura difference was 1.

First, don't forget his pride - that goes into what he says regularly. No, he doesn't know the rolls, but he's not going to claim failure of his own right, but rather interference. :wink:

I'm OK on the vision being blocked, but that would also stop Piercing the [Realm] Veil. I recalled the spell being used was T: Vision.

But that leaves out the whole realm interaction thing. Assuming we're in an aura that still works as the better of a magic/divine aura, he could see a bigger difference than that. But that's part of what he's also trying to gauge. If the aura is favoring the divine, then his vision will become more problematic. If, however, the magical aura is getting stronger, his vision will improve.

Yeah, it should-- but in this saga, Intellego senses through mundane visual concealment in most instances.

It just irks me that a first magnitude CrAu to create fog, can confound a fifth magnitude InVi to sense a regio.

The last the aura was identified (outside the regio) it was sensed as both Divine and Magic-- and no one bothered to check whether it affected magic as a Magic or a Divine aura would.

Of course, everyone knows that's impossible, so maybe that Intellego spell botched :slight_smile:

That's why you can alternatively use T: Hearing or T: Smell. I especially like T: Hearing so you can sense things behind barriers and behind yourself.

Ooh. What supplement covers non-standard ranges? Please don't say A&A, because that, C&G, and LoM are the ones I don't own :frowning:

Ummm... ArM5, the core rulebook. They're in the same place as T: Vision.

Not unless there's been another revision after the one I bought.

Are you maybe confusing Ranges with the section on using Intellego to enhance mundane senses?

That's outlining the Targets necessary for spells that magically enhance a mundane sense (i.e. taste only has to target Individual because it's only affecting whatever you can put in your mouth, while a spell to magically enhance vision has to be target Boundary because it's affecting everything within eyesight). But there's nothing on alternate Ranges for blind or deaf magi. The only ranges in the core book are Personal, Touch/Eye, Voice, Sight, and Arcane Connection.

If you have ideas, I am open to House Ruling some mysteries on alternative sense-based Ranges.

I'm pretty sure I specified T: Hearing and T: Smell above, not R: Hearing and R: Smell.

You did, but there are no Hearing or Smell targets in the core book. Only Individual/Circle, Part, Group/Room, Structure, and Boundary.

Again, the section on Magical Senses is not giving alternate or special targets; it's specifying what target is needed for an Intellego spell which enhances that particular sense.

Ummm... then how did you quote them from ArM5 three posts above?

Oh, I see the problem:

This is utterly incorrect. Those Targets replace the normal Targets. T: Taste gives you a sense by taste, so licking something that can't fit in your mouth, though dangerous, is still perfectly valid. T: Vision is its own thing separate from T: Boundary and does not require a ritual (as T: Boundary does). The have given equivalences so you understand the magnitude increase.

Take a look at tons of examples in ArM5 if you don't believe me. You won't find T: Boundary, but rather T: Vision, as I've said above.

The rules even specify that giving yourself a sense "[has] different targets, corresponding to the kind of sense that the recipient gets." (ArM5 p.114) Notice in particular the word "different."

Chris

On the other side we'll find Sinmore having a cup of tea and discussing philosophy with the natives, quite civilized.

Apologies to everyone. Skyrim and the new WoW expansion ate my brain. I think I've gotten it partially recovered for now, and shall post after my very-late-breakfast.

I know what you mean. When The Old Republic is released I'll be glued to it. "Christmas? Mom! I'm leveling my Sith Warrior!"