OOC conversation

Since the ship is presumably not pulling into the bay before they re-unite, the reunion will have to be after the Island Explorer's mission. The Foreboding people (or really, anyone not in Island Explorers) can explore another island however (for example, if anyone wounded doesn't want to venture back out..)

It would be pretty nifty if we sailed by another island (keeping close to land in a galley is a good idea) and saw something interesting to investigate... :wink:

Also, I changed Euphemia's backstory a little so as to fit with Maia's, since they're supposed to be "related," though that term means something different for faeries than for humans.

How "subtle" is spellcasting with subtle gestures and quiet voice? Could one do it, say, in the middle of a Latin conversation without an onlooker noticing anything odd?

It depends on cultural familiarity and the spell being cast. For example a protective spell might use gestures that a common person associates with warding off evil (placing the thumb between the ring and middle finger, for example), and if they are from an unfamiliar culture they might mistake it for simple conversational gesticulation.

Considering that my Companion is herself a Faerie, which the magi (but not the rest of the crew) would know, what would it take for her to show up and help with the Island Explorers adventure?

I mean, maybe somebody could go back to the ship and get her because, hey, faeries? :wink:

It would take about the same as what it would take for any other character- a way to get the message to the ship, a way for her to get back to where they are...

Okie-dokey. I won't assume anything, then.

I didn't log in over Xmas (relatives without internet access). Seems like the game has moved on without me.
Good luck with the game!

I didn't assume anyone would or would not log In over Christmas, but I didn't expect absence for the entire Christmas to new years period- one of the pints in this game was to be able to continue given the absence of a player- we cannot hold up the entire game for any person's individual schedule. If you are withdrawing from the game I will seek a replacement, but please consider continuing with the game. I would assume you would not want the game to grind to a halt if someone else suddenly was unable to log in either...

Plus we just head back to the boat. I man it's not if we have discovered a new realm and found 300 lab texts ^^

If Aqua thinks s/he's been booted, it's possible they're not checking this forum any more. Might it be sensible to send a PM and/or email to say they're still welcome?

Gretings Gentlefolk,

I've been granted access to this jolly jape.

I propose:

• Phyloproses - Gently Gifted Jerbiton magus with a minor focus in Rego Craft Magic and VERY high finesse
  • Osred of Hereford - Giant Blooded Saxon companion who was a section leader and weapons instructor in the Varangian Guard of the Nicaean Emperor, Theodore Lascaris

Do these step on anyone's toes?

For grogs, I'd like a couple that would add to the quality of life for a Jerbiton, perhaps a highly skilled cook and maybe a perfumier? You know the type, really useful at covenant set up. :smiling_imp:

Is the covenant to be set in Novgorod? On or near to the Black Sea? (I couldn't tell for certain, but that would get my vote, assuming the voting is still open.) Grandfather Frost, Chudo Yudo, Koschei the Undying and Baba Yaga? All nasty and all tres cool. The Firebird, Grey Wolf, Tsarevich Ivan? All potential allies against the former.

Domazhir

Aside from the fact that from all accounts the Niceans did not have a Varangian Guard, and that the members of that august body were allowed the first sack of the Byzantine Palace treasury when Constantinople fell in payment for their years of service and fled the country extremely wealthy men?

Hello.

My maga is already a highly social leader-y type, though her magical skills are totally different than what you propose. So there's a little stepping there; we wouldn't overlap if your Jerbiton were to be more on the Guile/Intrigue side of Gentle Gift-y-ness. The Gentle Gift is supposedly extremely rare, though, so two Gently Gifted magi in the same covenant might represent a third (or more) of all the Gently Gifted magi in the Tribunal. I don't know if that would bother anyone.

My companion is essentially an Amazon, really good at stabbing and pretty good at leading troops to fight. Men might not take her seriously in that role, if she weren't a Faerie, and everyone takes Faeries seriously when they're doing "their thing." At least, that's how it's supposed to work. I'm sure the magically-savvy are more likely to have something to say about a woman with a sword. So there's quite a bit of toe-stepping on that one.

A super-awesome cooking grog would be great, because -1 to Aging Rolls is a really nice benefit.

Karpos, my ship's cook grog, appears to be an excellent chef (perhaps slightly accidentally) - but I suppose there's no reason the covenant shouldn't end up with kitchens the envy of the order!

Deleted

According the Wikipedia, topiary was known in ancient Rome, and garden roses date back to Babylon, so you're fine on the anachronism front :slight_smile:

On an side-note, I'm looking forward to interactions between Phylophroses and Ilia, as they have rather different wordviews...

Damn! I was hoping for just a little anachronism... :wink:

I'll have to read Ilia's story. Real (real?) character interaction is always a good thing.

One question you will need to address is how this magus winds up with these castaways. What is a Jerbiton magus trying to live the good life doing in either the frosty Novgorod or adrift in the black sea?

That seems fine to me.

Thank you for asking about these things, by the way, instead of just simply jumping in.

All right then.

He does seem kind of jerkish though, specifically taking advantage of other peoples' labor. I'm okay with that as a player, so long as we understand that there will inevitably be confrontation about it, in character, and that it probably won't be pretty.

If by "odd" you mean "object of jealousy, because the Criamon don't deserve such a pretty, charming thing" and by "many Gently Gifted Jerbiton" you mean "five Gently Gifted Jerbiton..."

=P

The Order is ultimately a rather small organization, after all.