OOC discussion

Seems reasonable enough. I think we'll have to let people move into the lower two levels. That, plus opening up Evan's old Sanctum should open up more than enough extra space to compensate.

well, there is an ancient pagan site of worship which was used for roughly 1000 years and apparently spread outwards instead of gaining strength above 5. Any divine aura which might have covered it apparently faded after the town was abandoned.

Right, but whenever the ruins are mentioned, I get the impression they are nearby, but not within the castle walls. My mistake.

This brings up some points I had not given thought to- I a map of the ancient walls to the town, they were roughly 2000 meters by 800 meters, so clearly the covenant cannot fully encompass this, as it is about 1/2 a square mile. Which makes me wonder if it should have a vast aura boon... or if the aura should have somehow shrunk or filled less than the entire town...

reviewing the aura size thread I think this comes in under needing to be a vast aura, but yes, it does appear that the aura extends significantly outside the covenant walls...

Longevity Ritual for Pazzino, obviously using the +3 risk so Evan has the best chance of getting a discovery.
Cr(31)+Co(30)+mmf(30)+Magic Theory(12)+Int(3)+Camilla MT(11)+Camilla Int(3)+Clawball Int(3)+Clawball MT(5)+Aura(5)Simple Die(9)+2 Gen Quality=144(!) That's a 29 magnitude. Remember, the risk mod doesn't add to your lab total with original research.
Extraordinary Results die(1), EXPLODE! Extraordinary Result Explosion Die(6)*2=12-2=10. Discovery! Remember with original research you can chose to only use part of the risk mod, and have it subtract.

Alright then! I'm assuming we can replace the reading with stabilizing the discovery. I'm also assuming that the council, or Pazzino will release the vis so Evan can repeat the results. He'll offer to write up the ritual in a lab text for the covenant. Its a 29th magnitude ritual! That's almost half a Hermetic discovery! He'll promise to repay it as soon as possible. He needs three more pawns since he has three pawns of corpus vis from 1110 adventures.

So this part only happens if the Council/Pazzino lends Evan the vis. And he gets Clawball and Camilla to help. He promises he'll put them as co-authors on the results.
Stress Die(0). Oh God no. 1 base+5 aura+3 risk=9. There are 9!, 9! Botch Dice. Thank god for that three(3) safety. So six botch dice. Free bonus, he gets the warping regardless of stabilization.
Alright then, let's roll the botch dice: No botch! Evandrus doesn't explode!

He is still going to twilight. He gains 29-simple die(10)=19 warping and promptly heads into twilight. He's not going to roll to try to resist. Also his warping score is now six.
Intelligence(3)+Stress Die(1), POTENTIAL EXPLOSION! THANK GOD! Explosion Die(6*2)+Confidence(3)=18 vs Warping(6)+Stress(2)=8

18 vs 8. Evan's twilight lasts but a moment.

He gains an extra simple Die(4) for a total of 23 warping. That's 46 experience, a major virtue, or a 23rd magnitude spell.

Alright, did I make any mistakes? Did something go wrong? I feel like I got way too lucky.

P.S. This would be going towards the fertility magic breakthrough Evan already started on.

Pazzino only has 11 pawns of vis which he was using to pay Evandrus with - you will need the other three from the council.

Well, that was a roller coaster! One Founder, one Apprentice, one Companion, and 1 cat could have gone up in...flames? Turned into the movie "From Beyond"?

As for your math, looks ok.

Don't know if this was already discussed and is part of the Saga, but does the mmf (Healing) apply to LRs?

Also, what's Clawball's Golden Cord? 'cause that also reduces Botches.

Hmm... I think there was a miscommunication somewhere. I meant for Evan using the longevity ritual as a chance to perform original research, but also free of charge. Which would leave Pazzino with 5 pawns left over. If Pazzino had given Evandrus the whole 11 pawns, Evandrus would have enough vis all on his own. Does that make sense?

They applied to Evandrus's longevity ritual. So I think so? Oh yeah, did I ever decide on what the cords would be? I should do that probably dump everything into the bronze chord, then golden, then silver.

Also, of course Camilla the Apprentice will assist her Master in whatever research he finds pertinent! She will shift her deciphering the Lab Texts of Mario of Bonisagus to deciphering her Master's Lab Texts any season he's studying from books. She'll have a Creo Corpus Lab total (in his Lab) of around 75, so she'll start with Evandrus's Circle of Stamina (12th magnitude), he has already written up his 70 and 80 level rituals. She will then write up 120 levels of spells for the Library, with her Master's approval!

Just writing down that Lab Text for others to use will take 2 seasons (Evandrus can write up 120 levels of Lab Texts/season)! Who can benefit from that Lab text? Don't you need to be able to handle 29 magnitudes (!!!) to repeat the research? Maybe eventually Camilla, or Taurus, with a lot of assistance! Think we are better off with Evandrus sharing the actual Breakthroughs rather than just the Lab text (not that he shouldn't, as he promised he would, but he can also take this to Durenmar, to put in a locked vault, I guess)

From HoH:True Lineages pg.29

So it appears you don't actually need to reach the same lab total in a single season to get the Breakthrough Points.

Well, Evan doesn't know if this will push him all the way to a breakthrough. Although with his 6 points already 35 is the suggested(?) number of the fertility magic virtue.
However, HoH:True Lineages and Ancient Magic seem to have two different ways of spreading breakthroughs that give virtues:
From True Lineages:

Ancient Magic is basically the same except it makes no mention of teaching Major Virtues. However the right set of lab texts would make the process of creating the breakthrough for oneself vastly easier.

Which I suppose leads to a question for Silveroak. Can new Virtues from a breakthrough simply be put down in a tractatus?

Yes, anything that an be taught can be put down in a tractatus. However unless there is an associated ability each person with the virtue may only write one tractatus. If there is an ability it follows normal rules- one for every two levels of ability rounded up or 1 for every five levels of an accelerated ability or art.

my thought regarding minor magical focus (healing) and longevity rituals is that you get aging bonuses from medicine and other mundane arts connected to healing, so it only makes sense for it to apply to longevity rituals for the focus.

Since Camilla has no adventures in 1111, I will advance her, eliminating her Fall season to aid Evandrus's stabilization in the Lab, +2(3) MT

*Edited: Andros has all his adventures for 1111 behind him, I will advance him. He wrote 2 Tractati this year (will name later), 1 Co, 1 Re, both will benefit from Resonant materials, and after scribing/binding/illuminating should have a 13 Q (note that anyone who glosses them, which can be done simply while studying them, with +3 comm or higher and at least 8 Co or 8 Re respectively, can increase their Q by 1, notably Evandrus, and Aurthor for Re, currently, and Anna, eventually).
Aging roll = _: 1D10 = [10] = 10 + 5 age- 2Healthy Feature, - 2 Magi Summer Covenant standards - 6 LR = -5, no change

Lady Agniezka has just 1 adventure in Winter, I will advance her for Spring-Fall. Done, Advanced for Winter 1111.
Her husband's Aging roll: +5 Age - [strike]1[/strike] -2 Noble lifestyle - 2 Healthy Feature + _: 1D10 = [8] = 8 = [strike]10[/strike] 9, [strike]1 Aging point in any characteristic. Well, now I have to write him up! And do all those Aging rolls.[/strike] *edited, Wealthy gives a -2, not a -1, 9 it's apparent aging and nothing else.

Danaë will be advanced [strike]through Fall, her Winter adventure with other Companions is pending.[/strike], adventures are done.

Alright, so with the vis distribution set up, what is the outcome of Twilight, (xp, virtue, spell?) and is 35 breakthrough points enough for Fertility Magic (or whatever the Insight is building too?)

35 is enough for either fertility lore (which requires 15) or fertility ritual magic (which requires 35) however- a longevity ritual performed on a man cannot provide breakthrough points for fertility ritual magic, as it does not have to do with birth, fertility, or pregnancy of women.
As for the twilight- the gain will be experience in magic theory. The breakthrough points from the longevity ritual may be put towards something else... I would assume he is perhaps looking for a breakthrough that will allow one to retain fertility after a longevity ritual is used...

Makes sense

Hmm... what about a Longevity ritual that fits in a Familiar bond? The main benefit would be the lack of warping, but it would break if the Familiar die.

Other than that, your idea works too.

That's a lot of xp! Especially with the focus.

regrouping:
the game has slowed significantly on my end due to a few issues. One of these is the one time shift from spring to summer covenant, but another is the fact that I am currently playing 2 magi and a companion, added to which we have another non-original player, which is of secondary importance except as it relates to apprentices-
Taurus obviously needs to remain in order to train Giovanni, but Ouragon existed to train Farid, who was the apprentice character for Archemedies, who is no longer in the game. As such there is really no need for either character. Similarly Danton is the apprentice character for Crawfs, who departed the game, and since Danton is not in the game there is no reason that he cannot be replaced with another apprentice...
as such I am considering eliminating Ouragon, Farid, and Danton, and allowing whomever takes over Taurus to make a new apprentice character who would be apprenticed to Andros.
What does the troop think?

I certainly think if they don't have players and can leave without issues, they probably should.

Another question: What about all the grogs you're adding? Its cool, but if you're tight on time, that's something that could be cut pretty easy.

grogs take seconds to make and update, plus if I were not adding them we would be facing a massive amount of aging out of essential skills as the covenant advances.
I have also had a number of RL delays in the last couple of weeks as my second oldest child is graduating high school.

Hi all,

Re eliminating Ouragan and future Farid: seems logical! Hope somebody joins us to run both Taurus and Andros's future apprentice.

And congrats on the graduation!

The proposed eliminations make logical sense and will streamline the game while we wait and see if anyone else wants to join in. I am entirely OK with these, as long as somehow Taurus gets to a point that can pass on Hermetic virtues to Giovanni.

I hope someone actually wants to take over Taurus - I designed him as a thematically interesting character (A Bull with strong affinity to earth, living near an underworld-associated regio) as well as fun (in Inner heartbeast they have so much soak they laugh at moderate level threats and can survive injuries fatal to lesser creatures)