OOC Discussions and Table Talk

In that case, I would like to continue. I'm curious as to what the ghost's release trigger is. I think the debriefing idea is good, I'll start thinking about what I liked the most.

I'll post more later today, or perhaps even only tomorrow, as I have a meeting this afternoon.

I would like to continue the Wayward Inn story as well to find out more about the ghost and faeries. I just got the impression that we were about to wrap it up when I had Japik leave the scene so quickly. Then of course he can be a bit rash and carefree about things as well so it's not that strange for him.

I'll give some feedback on the Sunken Sailor story to begin with since it's finished and I was deeply involved in that.

Strong points: Interesting and exciting. Japik was tested in areas he is good at. Some nice interaction between Japik and the sailors. It got tense after the tentacled beast showed up and I just wonder what might have happened if Japik had lost concentration on his shrinking spell and then may have been trapped inside the ship.

Weaker points: We lost the flow of the story for a while when discussing spells and their effects but I guess it's not much to do about that since we needed to sort it out for my plan. If we are to keep the flow when discussing OOC in a story it would fall on both SG and players to try to keep it short. Maybe there could have been some leads to follow up in another story later on, especially if Waddenzee is involved. Maybe there was but we missed them... :confused:

Future stories: Tying new stories to previous stories, not necessarily as obvious sequels but it may turn out they are connected some way or the other as the story progresses.

Yes, Japik will have to be careful with his interactions with the sailors he rescued. If he takes them for granted, they might resent that. And even though they are grateful for him saving their lives, enough so that it mitigates their reaction to his Gift somewhat, that will only go so far.

Things could have gotten hairy for Japik if he had lost concentration on his spell. I would have made it so that it didn't prove fatal, but he might have been left with some scars. As it is, I'm happy that he was left with the impression that the creature was dangerous (it is). And the fact that D:Conc spell have drawbacks when the fecal matter hits the fan.

Yes, discussing the possibilities for spontaneous spells to achieve various underwater options took some time. This should be easier next time, as those options have been sorted out. But I expect such discussions to crop up from time to time, whenever new situations arise. But this underscores the need for some specialized formulaic spells that each magus may want to learn or invent.

As for clues, there may have been some. He never got to visit the captain's cabin, after all. :laughing:

Yes, you can expect some elements to resurface at some point. I have come up with a number of broad themes and background stories that will color the saga, and these first few stories are a way to introduce them. The main story is still about your characters, but these will provide a richer environment in which they can evolve.

Debrief: On the whole, I liked the Wayward story a lot. It was interesting and to the point.

Positives: Grisliness. Plot twist. Eerie atmosphere. Tricky but doable. I especially liked the children, because I couldn't at first OOC make heads or tails as to what they were. I like these kinds of slightly puzzle-ish scenarios. I was often thinking hard what to do, and a little scared of what might happen. I also had fun thinking about how a guy like Prochorus might feel about something awful like this.

Negatives: The one gripe I had is that the story seemed to be repetitive by design. It seems we were bound to return to the same scene. This tended to get frustrating after a while, especially as I was sometimes not sure if we were making progress. I think it would generally be better to plan so that things move forward regardless of whether we succeed or not. I also think you may have protracted things needlessly a bit: Was it necessary to have the scenario by the river end so soon each time, forcing us to start over? Couldn't the woman have divulged some of the things sooner when I asked her? Perhaps you had intended the story to go differently, and were reluctant to let it go where we steered it?

But yeah, overall I had great fun, and this is intended as constructive criticism of a minor issue.

I'm happy you like the atmosphere and that I was able to get it across. :smiley:

I came up with the story as something that fit in Prochorus' specialty (Mentem), without involving mundanes too much. After all, you've had enough mundane problems when negociating with the village, so I felt it preferable to do something more supernatural. But I didn't have much time to create the story, so I only established the main entities and motivations in it, and simply went with the flow based on those entities.

Well, the repetitive nature of the story mostly evolved from the entities being involved in it. Since this was a short story, with a fairly simple plot. Every time the ghost faded after the first time (which simply introduced the story), it represented a failure to break the cycle.

The children are faeries, so as such they are bound to the story. They derived vitality from it, so were set on having it repeated again and again.

The other side of the story is the ghost, more specifically a shade. As such, it is trapped in the emotions around it death, and as such isn't aware of much outside of things directly linked to those emotions. Prochorus came close to hitting on the way to get more information from her when he thought of casting a PeMe spell to diminish her emotions, and will have figured it out in the off-time he spends thinking about it. That will trigger the follow-up story, I think, when we both feel it is convenient to weave it together.

I felt that looping over allowed you to try different approaches, much like those time-looping situations in films and TV series often do. But I may have overdone it a bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

The story was also useful in exploring the actual capabilities of your magus (both for me and for you), and the way you play him. This should help in crafting future stories involving him.

Very constructive, thanks!

Agreed on all counts.

Busy, I'll try to post within a few days.

I have been trying to figure out a story basis for Herman's faerie friend. I am think of a faerie whose story is based on tales of a boy who talked to the wind. The idea is that the wind is friendly but capricious, and has trouble talking to people. So when it found a boy it could talk to, it tried to help him. Sometimes this worked well, and sometimes it worked badly. Is this a reasonable model?

Thanks.

Yes, that sounds good. Would the boy be Herman himself? If so, how did the story change now that Herman is an adult and a magus?

My thinking is that this faerie has probably played this story with several boys, and then took it up with Herman. Normally, he would have moved on when Herman turned about 16, but Herman's better ability to understand him and willingness to talk to him / work with him even when things go wrong has kept him around. If I understand right, this should probably be slowly producing some kind of change in the role that Aerianos is filling, but I don't know what and Herman certainly doesn't know.

How has Aerianos acted towards Herman so far? When does he show up and what does he try to tell him?

In short, what is it that this faerie is interested in? What kind of personality traits does it express and how?

Aerianos tends to be interested in things the wind can see, so out of doors. And he tends to be interested in things that react to him (leaves swirling, etc.) He has once or twice shown up indoors, in contexts which suggest that he finds magic, and the way magic reacts to things, interesting. These were the incidents were Aerianos encouraged Herman to investigate sanctum wards. He has sometimes shown up when Herman needed help, with lifting things, lifting himself, that sort of thing. These often result in getting what was wanted, but with side-effects. He seems to be whimsical, but not to the degree of enjoying making trouble. Rather he seems sad or confused when his help results in trouble. He seems to share Herman's curiosity, which presumably contributes to his staying around.

Works for me. You should try to put these together into a description of your friend and put that into Herman's thread. I'll throw together some stats at some point and add these to the post eventually.

I will get that added to the Herman base post next week. Thanks.

I will be away from home and abroad with very limited computer access from this Thursday until the 30th of December. I will have my phone to check in here whenever I have wifi but I will not be able to make any longer posts.

I've had a request to join the saga:

I'll let the current players decide on it.

Sounds good to me, if it is okay with the two who have been here longer.

I have no problem at all with this. We were 4 players at the start so I think we would be full again then. It's mostly up to Arthur of course how many players you feel you can handle at the same time.

Fine by me, too.