OOC Discussions and Table Talk

No I realize the problems of this. I just wanted to toss up an idea and see if it could be developed.
It's probably easier if we can get back here without Dibbelt or anyone else that isn't used to seeing magic. My plan was for Hjalmar to try to get a boat without a sailor, but he is quite lousy in the social area. We have the Baltrum but I would rather not divert it from it's trade mission.

If you are calming the water with ReAq you should try to do it as inconspicuously as possible. Japik sucks at Aquam.

Is it base 1 to calm the waves? "Control a liquid in an extremely gentle way." Probably 2?

That would be base 2 + 3 sight + 2 sun + a lot of size to calm the water, so not doable.

We'll probably have to drop it.

Touch and Concentration might work for Range and Duration but the Target is probably too big unless the water between the boat and the rock can be delimited in some way.

I think it's better we come here again so we can use our magic without limitations.

Waves are not something that can be controlled in an "extremely gentle way". The only spell that uses Base 1 is Cloak of the Duck's Feathers, which just protects the target from rain.

There's a existing spell that does that, Break the Oncoming Wave (ArM5 p.124). It uses Base 5 to break all waves as they come within 10 paces of the caster (R:Per, D:Conc, T:Ind), but since the conditions are not that violent, Base 4 would probably be fine. Trouble is, it's not that subtle as it affects a clearly delimited area. It would need additional magnitudes for subtlety, probably making it out of reach for a spontaneous spell for any of the magi present.

But yes, Hjalmar didn't fulfill the request for just a boat to exclude its mundane owner. Maybe he didn't understand the subtlety. Or he couldn't get it accross to the fisherman. :laughing:

It would be hard to get a fisherman to simply rent his boat to some unknown party. Without it they can't make a living, so if someone was to damage or steal it, they would be out of their most valuable possession.

And we couldn't sail it by ourselves anyway. We will head back and I will fly up there in bird form and see if I can find anything.

Actually, Hjalmar could have sailed the boat for you. Although Prochorus may not be aware of that, as he is Japik's grog.

I will be offline until Monday.

Quite busy at work coming back from a long Easter holiday. It may be a couple of days before I can post anything substantial. Don't despair!

Hi Arthur,
Will you start some story with Torros involved?

As soon as I have some time! I'm a bit swamped at work at the moment. :stuck_out_tongue:

I've started writing the introductory post for Torros, but work keeps intruding...

Will post it soon, I hope.

No need to rush!
I´m also quite bussy at the moment.

I posted an initial setting of where he starts from. This may simply begin with Torros and the redcap chatting as they travel.

I have an idea about the cellars. Perhaps we can do the 'hard labor' ourselves. If we could get a few picks and such, we could justify how we laboriously dug the cellars ourselves. (Okay, how the grogs did it.) All it would require is a relatively simple spell:

THE STONE THAT BREAKS
MuTe 15
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Part
Turns a volume of stone up to ten cubic paces into packed dirt.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +1 Part, +1 size)

Then plain shovels could do the job.

When are the various parts of Chapter 3 happening? Basically I'm trying to figure out when Konrad shows up at the island with respect to each of those.

Chapter 3 basically covers all of year 1211:

• 3a Heart of Stone: Second part of Spring and first half of Summer.
  • 3b Songs and Stories: Spring, although it may end up overlapping to Summer.
  • 3c Swimming Around: Spring
  • 3d A Twist and a Turnaround: Summer, with current actions being during the second half of Summer

So Konrad arrives after all the current threads happen. Got it. :slight_smile:

Very busy at work today, so I am unlikely to post much until tomorrow.

I'm still crazily busy at work, so can only post sporadically.

Busy at work. Will post soon I hope.