OOC: General

There are a handful of examples of wards against mundane things in the various books. In core you have Ward Against Rain (p. 128), Break the Oncoming Wave (p.124) and ward against heat and flame (P. 143)

Page 95 of Magi of Hermes has an example ReCo ward.

Honestly though, I would just treat new ward spells like Parma.

I think this depends on the exact form used for the ward. If an An ward is used, it is not effective against a metal sword, so if the fish can wield a sword, it gets through. If it is a Vi ward, however, the sword may be deemed to be propelled by magic, and by analogy to parma, warded against. Personally, I think magic is most interesting if we allow all the various spells (forms) to be subtly different, so that magi with different specialities have different strengths and weaknesses.

Anyone else using primarily mobile access (Android for me)? If so, do you have any suggestions for a good phpbb client?

Based on the suboptimal mobile experience with phpbb I wonder if anyone ever thought about running the saga in say a combination of Slack (https://slack.com) and GSuite (https://gsuite.google.com)?

I will be on vacation the next two weeks. I guess I'll have internet access at least on a regular basis.

I'll try to finalize Prometheus fully. There is anyway only languages and build points left. Still thinking about using some Vis for a familiar, but that is not crucial. I could think of rat, mouse or snake, but have no experience whatsoever in magical creature design. So maybe I should leave that to in game.

I'd like to discuss the possible effects of Mentem magic on abilities. I posted my questions and there is apparently no full picture in the books, so I think we need an ST or troupe decision and potentially a house rule.

Should this go here or in a separate "OOC: House rules" or even "OOC: Mentem effects on abilities"?

I would go on and try to line up my and external opinions, references to books and potential solutions either here or in whatever thread it belongs.

Another forum question that needs ST and/or troupe decision (and potentially a specific house rule.

Is a talisman effect with range personal resisted?

I came to the question considering InMe based trigger effects for a talisman.

My thought is no, it is not resisted...by the maker of the Talisman. An InMe trigger, Personal range, can only react to the Talisman maker’s thoughts, but ignores his MR.

(How) can ability spezializations be changed during play?

• on score increase
  • when xp are gained
  • not at all

[tab][/tab] By ST permission. Usually that means you cannot, there is no mechanic in game for such a thing, your character can't just forget being an expert on working marble and becomes expert on basalt sculpting. On the other hand getting a spec should be easier. Just talk to me...

Destroying an ability.

[tab][/tab]Hmmm... That should be the same as PeMe destroying long memory. Thats a 3, +2 unusual, a total of 5. Because you need precision of the memories destroyed you will need to actually have the same Ability and reduce only by that amount (ie you target an archer with bow 6, you got bow 4, you reduce it to 2. Can do this only once, no repeats, even from other people). I would personally add a minimum of 1, some knowledge is retained for deeper parts of the psyche, not just memory. You cannot remove a specialization. I would say that it would be permanent, ie instant duration.
[tab][/tab] Definitely something that needs research and probably a minor breakthrough. Now here is the crux. Doing it to NPCs is fine. Doing it to a PC, mechanic-wise it means here is a spell that siphons xp away from a player and in high numbers. Should something like that even exist?

Nope, never. A talisman you touch is part of you. Even your Parma extends over it, make it ''in'' instead of ''out''. Besides, Personal cast by you are never resisted...

I won't argue, but being a single weapon fighter specializing in short sword would give you e.g. 5 for single weapons and 6 for short sword. When you now practice using a sabre and specialize in it, you'd still have a 6 for short sword. Doesn't sound completely off.

The severe consequence is why I would have made it a temporary effect. I'd like that more than the "you need to have the ability" restriction... I don't fully get the why of the restriction either (other than limiting a definitely severe effect), Loss of but a moment’s memory doesn't require the caster to know about the 5 minutes to delete.

I guess we have some time then to figure out how to keep the balance.

I think the easiest way to keep balance is to treat any effect inflicted by PeMe as a "wound" and allow recovery rolls. Otherwise the level 25 "Leave someone a mindless husk" becomes an easier alternative to the PeCo 30 "kill someone", and PeMe to destroy memories or personality far more long-lasting than a PeCo to physically wound someone.

Having it so that you can destroy Abilities, but people get to make a recovery roll after a week/month/season (depending on severity of the effect), maybe using Int instead of Stamina, allows you to quickly wreck your opponents mid-adventure and give them horrific problems right now, while long-term only modestly inconveniencing survivors. So a PeMe "Destroy a courtier's etiquette ability" could cause a lot of trouble on an adventure, but by next season will be gone.

I tend to like the idea. Although I would not like to handle every PeMe effect like that. E.g. Loss of but a moment’s memory isn't half as good, if the memory just comes back after a while.

One suggestion on a PeVi spell to remove memories: I wouldn't let it remove supernatural abilities. Those appear to go deeper than just the knowledge. If those were just knowledge supernatural abilities wouldn't interfere with learning new ones. Same thing goes for arts too!

[tab][/tab] Supernatural power (and arts) should fall under Vim with a requisite of Mentem, and probably a major breakthrough. That would allow one to block or severely damage things such as the Gift. Completely destroying the Gift probably falls against the Limits, I think.
[tab][/tab] I got mixed feelings about what darkwing said, wounding someone versus outright killing. Removal of memories is a much more targeted and precise action than leaving someone a husk. It would probably be some magnitudes above killing someone because of that need for Finesse if it were also permanent. Thoughts?

I agree. Subtlety is often more difficult than total effect. It is harder to effect a part of an individual than to the whole of them.

Fighting with a weapon talisman and range touch effects. Is this possible, easy, hard, botch prone, slow (multiple rounds), fast (hitting triggers effect in the same round) or completely different?

I asked on the forum (that's how I got to the question about magic resistance and talismans) and got answers that I long lost the ability to follow. (for anyone interested in controversial discussions about ergonomics of medieval weapons you can follow up here and here)

I do think effects should be able to to trigger on successful attack (or with an InMe trigger, or simple command word) in the same round. Opinions?

(How easily) can hermetic books be translated?

Thinking about specializing in reading[sup]*[/sup] classical Greek and continue writing books in Latin... If Prometheus writes a book of value (not sure this is going to happen) there will be someone knowing enough of both languages I would hope.

[sup]*[/sup] reading instead of hermetic usage would allow reading books about any ability.

P.S. I am inclined to specialize in writing Latin (not hermetic use again) for it is likely Prometheus writes about other things than arts...

Overread that first time... So having no specialization is not a complete waste because can be fixed later?

As I mentioned GDocs as an interesting way to collaboratively tell the stories of the covenant in one doc in contrast to spread over forum posts and replies I thought I bring up an example how that could look loke...

docs.google.com/document/d/1cG7 ... p=drivesdk