OOC: PrePlay discussion

I just grouped the like things together. The Penetration mastery is weak in any case. For 50 xp you ca get a +4 in the penetration total. Now I've made it so all of them have to be in penetration to do that.

Penetration is weak to begin with. I've always wondered if someone would not develop a better Penetration (call it armor piercing). Then someone could develop hardened PM to just stop the AP. Hmm The Tremere could work on that...

Spam or junk mail filters?

Well, it's not so bad, really. Consider the magus with a Penetration score of 4, and a Spell Mastery score of 6 with one selection of Penetration (RAW), which would make it 10, effectively. That 10 gets multiplied by the 1+AC multiplier bonus. That's pretty powerful. Yes, it's for one spell, but it is a bread and butter spell it can be a big deal. With Flawless Magic a mastery score of 6 is easy to achieve and costs only 50 xp. This nerfs Flawless Magic more than it nerfs Penetration.
You also have to remember, that by RAW, every mastery point is also adding a little bit to the final CT, which also affects Penetration.

I checked, they (I tried several times) are not in my spam box either. So if they were filtered out it was done before they ever reached my provider...

Edit: I tried using another address, it did make it into the spam box that time. So my guess would be that my regular address just filtered it out so hard it never even made it that far...

I just tested and the site is sending out email confirmations for new users. I would try either having it go to gmail, or another mail provider. Also, I noted that the Halancar username has already been chosen. Is it possible you had already registered, and just need to change/reset the password?
Also wouldn't hurt to send a message via contact us. There are other die rollers out there, but invisible castle is pretty convenient.

That's what I did, just now, and it worked. Finally. I'll be Halancar4, since Halancar, Halancar 2 and Halancar3 are stuck.

No, that was me a couple of days ago, and that account is stuck in limbo since I can't finish activating it.

I tried that. There was a programming error in the contact form, all I got after I clicked 'Send you message' was an error page.

Personally I mostly play on the RPoL forum, which includes its own dice roller (it even rolls Ars Magica stress dice). But you can't use it outside of a regular game.

State of the game:

As something that I thought of 3-4 weeks ago we are moving along. I'm currently writing up an prelude to introduce Héviz's Aediles who will be the senior magus at the oppidum and the only Cives ( meaning Tremere) as well as some of the happenings within the Tribunal. I'm working on some extra background for the Tribunal and the Order. Most of it is places and names that have changed but also some actions.

To Do:
Letters and contracts for all. At least what is expected from your characters for staying in the oppidum.
Speaking of letters, i will add a letters thread so people can try to get xp using correspondence with other magi or learned people.
Finish the Covenant so people know what is there so everyone's 75 bp can be spent smartly.
More NPCs.
Outline some larger events that will be happening.

So no huge rush on getting the characters done.

For a Lab in a large wagon that can be drawn by 4 or even 6 horses would this suitable?
Or are I missing some virtue or flaws?
Also for Refinement the +2 from Puissant Magic Theory count also for the number of possible refinement?

Lab (2 Saisons)
Size -3
Virtue
0 Mobile +1 Experimentation (large wagon)
Flaw
0 Unstable +1 Upkeep -1 Safety
1 Diminutive
1 Lesser Focus -1 General Quality +2 Creo
1 Undecorated -1 Upkeep - 1 Aesthetics -1 Creo

1st refinement: (2 Saisons)

• 1 Well Insulated +1 Safety +1 Aesthetics
    2nd refinement: (1 Saison)
  • 1 Lesser Focus -1 General Quality +2 Creo

You took Lesser Focus twice, and that's not one of the virtues and flaws that can be taken multiple times. Also, that virtue seems to require a Lesser Feature so I'm guessing that's what you meant to take with your second refinement, since it should grant a virtue and not a flaw ?

No the 2nd refinement remove the lesser Focus Flaw

And because of the undecorated the lesser focus only gives +1 Creo (just have writen it under Undecorated as -1 Creo) so I doubt its a absolut necesary especial because the lesser focus flaw is then lost in the 2nd refinement.
So the lab bevore any refinement gives normal creo and Experimentation everything else have -1 to it.

Can we bind a familiar? And if we do what rules should we use for creating/advancing it?

You can bind a familiar but I'm not sure on advancing it yet.

Should I design a familiar using the rules from RoP: Magic? Say a clockwork cat? And if I do what power level should it be?
Or should I just grab something from one of the books or do you want to design it?

Edit: I see this is sort of already answered. Make a sane familiar. Got it.

Spell proposal. I'm fine with this not being available until saga start.
The Phantasmal Squire ReTe25
Base 4, +2 metal, +1 Touch, +2 complexity. Transports armor up to 50 paces, placing it on or off the target. Int+Fin required for armoring up. CT: +46 Sigil: The sound of hammer on anvil
This spell is in use over in Andorra. The only change I would make to the spell is that it be Per+Finesse for armoring the individual, as that seems most consistent to the Finesse guidelines, as Int+Finesse applies to creation.
I'll have a spell in Ophelia's grimoire that I can switch out pending approval.

My opinion:

• I don't think you need the extra magnitudes to affect metal. This would seem to fall under the guidelines and spells that affect objects without caring what they are made off, such as Unseen Porter, Wielding the Invisible Sling, or Invisible Hand of the Thief (MoH p.93, the first example of the guideline's use).
  • You will however usually need an Herbam and or Animal casting requisite to go with it, since metal armor, whether mail or plate, is always worn over some form of padding, usually felt (made from wool) in Medieval Europe. Plus there's all the buckles and stuff in plate. That won't affect the level of the spell.
  • The ReTe 4 guideline only gives you five paces, you'll need one extra magnitude if you want 50.
  • If you make it Voice range, you could use it offensively to take the armor off an enemy without having to get too close to him.

I thought about the 7 Material & Shape Bonus for the initation to The Green Kings.
Here is my sugestion what my char "invented":
Coal - create heat
Wood (dead) - create heat
Salt - preservation
Stinging-nettle - preservation
Stinging-nettle - health
Scented mayweed - health
wormwood - health

I looked trough the free Material & Shape bonus list and none is listed there and the effects are based on what uses the materials have.

For the Might of a clockwork cat (ROP:M) I would refer to the main construction material. There are rules to calculate Might in the mechanica of heron chapter of Ancient Magic and in the Automata and ANimation sections of Verditious and augustan brotherhood. The most similar one (a self-thinking being) would be the mechanica of heron one. Might for those is not really high, tending to be 15 at most.

The Unseen Porter is a legacy spell, so I wouldn't use that interpretation. Wielding the Invisible Sling at least up the base one magnitude to Base 4 (there's no Base 4 guideline that matches it in the main rule book, so I'm presuming that it is really Base 3 +1 stone, and at least it's trying).

Hmm, in one place he had an Animal casting requisite, but the one I copied didn't have it. I agree, it needs he Animal casting requisite for the leather straps and woolen gambeson. That's not going to be a problem, since another spell to conjure armor also requires Animal casting requisites.

Now that you bring up that oversight, I think I like the design of the spell that Peregrine_Bjornaer had suggested but wasn't used.

Because Perception+Finesse is used to fit the armor, I'm not so sure that complexity needs to be in the spell, since the magus is doing the work of placing the armor on the person, and not the magic so much. I've always thought additions for complexity should be used as a substitute for finesse. Doesn't help that complexity isn't really a guideline under RAW, so it's all subjective. Note this changes it to the Base 3: Control or move dirt in a very unnatural fashion, so the armor would fly through the air and there couldn't be anything that would impede the armor in the way.

I like that version even better ! And a finesse roll makes more sense than a complexity increase, since it means you are in charge and direct the armor, rather than somehow writing it into the spell no matter which armor and which person it ends up targeting. Whether an armor is Target: Ind or Target: Group... well, I could argue it either way, and this is hardly a game balance issue. We're century before full articulated plate armor anyway !

I want to make a magical item to remove the upkeep cost of the Superior Heating in my Lab
adjustable undefloor heating (lab 46) +2 and up from the discovered Material bonus or +7 from a animal hearth
(Base 4 +1 Part + 1 Conc +1 Flexible)=15 +1 (2 use/day) +3 (constant trigger) +5 Keep concentration =24

The idea is to make the floor out of iron that heats it self and so radiate normal heat. While flexible is needed to regulate the heat and part to have it focused to specific locations and only heat to the upside.
Would this work and are we allowed to make magical items trough the 30 years?

First, yes, you can make magic items during character creation. I've been making a talisman for myself, for instance. The ST is generously giving us 2 pawns of vis per year post Gauntlet, which can be saved from one year to the other (so 60 pawns of vis maximum for your longevity ritual, binding your familiar, casting rituals, creating items, and so forth).

Second, yes, a magical heating item will work to provide the Superior Heating virtue to your laboratory at no upkeep cost.

However you are speaking of enchanting the floor itself ? That is a problem, because the item to be enchanted must be brought completely inside the laboratory where it is enchanted. You can't just enchant it where it lies. And you can't enchant a hundred separate tiles as one item, then set them in the floor, not unless you have the mystery of Hermetic Architecture.

What you can do is either

1. make an item that is a little smaller than the floor and is not the floor itself, perhaps a carpet or a large iron grid that you will set into the floor (with the added bonus that you can remove them and bring them to a new laboratory if you move);
  2. or use the Room Target. Then the item automatically warms the whole room.

Incidentally, Base 3 should be enough in the second case (hot to the touch is already more than is comfortable), so your total level won't change. Unless you want it strong enough to heat a very large laboratory (in which more than 100 people could fit), then you may need an additional magnitude for size. You probably don't even need the extra flexible signature unless you want to be able to set the exact temperature of the laboratory.