[OOC] Table Talk, Volume One

Hey all!

Sorry about the slower posting rate. This next week is looking rather busy for me, though I’ll try to keep things moving as best I can. I’m loving all the interaction, you guys are awesome.

Marko -

First off, neither of those are your calls to make. They're up to the SG to make clear who gets there, and who gets there first, and when.

Second, you ~never~ responded, in any way, to Fall's post when he said your character was 30 yards away - your character simply teleported there (without the spell) and then assumed it all worked out, alone, and he left.

For all we know, there's someone attacking magi, and the first one there is next. Or the fallen redcap has had their head neatly removed. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

(Note that I wrote much of the same thing, but put a big "IF" at the beginning of the statement.)

So please stop god-moding or only one of us will be playing here, thanks.

Third - and perhaps as importantly - could you limit your OOC comments to the OOC thread, please? You're the only one who seems to think it's okay to put smilies :imp: and OOC comments in the storyline, and frankly it's painful every time you do, and you've done it (almost?) without exception. I've read a lot of stories, and can't remember any that had smilies in them. The story thread is for the story - OOC is for OOC - that's why it's here, and that's there. (That's why this is called "OOC" - it's what it does.)

If we have to endure you writing about "I" and not your character, then at least keep the "I, the Player" separate from the "I, the Character". (Or take a cue from everyone else on that point as well. "He" is my character. "I" am a player. "I" am not in the story - "he" is.

No story uses "I" in the narrative unless there is only ONE main character - this ain't that.)

On the other hand, if I'm the only person who feels this way, then I don't want my inappropriate expectations to limit the game - and I'll bow out, no bad feelings, no worries. But to me, I expect the story to read more like a story than a transcription of every fart and giggle from a tabletop game session.

Since everyone rushed up, I (the Player) am assuming we, as a group (of Characters), are still around the fallen redcap, and are about to move them back to the buildings - unless there are more surprises that the SG has! Either way, we should wait for a post from them before proceeding.

(Hope whoever did this doesn't have a magical grenade to lob in about now...) :unamused:

You post intentions, and then wait for the SG to confirm the resolution of those intentions - that's how Play by Post works, unless it's pure freeform - which this isn't, as advertised.

There are two sides to this issue.

I encourage you all be independent so we can all move forward together. If the outcome of your action is unclear, post an intention, but if you think you see the writing on the wall, you can move yourself along. If it's important enough to you to just narrate it, do that. Really, seriously. If you do it too much, that's an issue, but I trust you to be adults. I said Mark was right there, so I'm OK with him molding his conception of the scene into the story, and I think he got that sense. Granted, I think more up-front description and perhaps a timelier reply (this coming from me - ha!) would have made this less of an issue, but there's nothing in here that bothers me explicitly.

On the other hand, it is important to respect what other people have put in, and circumventing what other people have posted is a problem. Hound had a conception of how the scene might have gone, and I would rather the two characters had worked together somehow so you could both have been a part of it, rather than a disagreement where only one of you could be right. That issue (of specifics, flavor, etc) is something that I can and will leave to the players, and I encourage you to collaborate rather than disagree.

"Too many hands spoil the pie" is part of the problem, and I'm working to rectify that by branching the story a bit.

Stylistically, I am perfectly OK with the first person. I can understand why some would be bothered by smilies and OOC comments in the story thread, and in general I prefer to minimize them, but I will not enforce that.

Sorry, I'm afraid I missed it, or I would have just made the roll. It's been quite a week. :wink:.

It doesn’t look like they were searching for anything specific, but they were quite thorough. If you had to guess at the purpose, it may simply have been to show that they could; they certainly made no effort to cover their tracks.

Also, I will make an effort to post tomorrow, but I will be away from the computer this weekend and unable to post until Sunday night.

No worries. Question though: are you doing the rollls yourself? I think you mention that in the opening thread and I forgot. My apologies.

Have a good trip.

Thanks, and not a problem. You can do your own rolls, or I can, whichever is fastest. If you post a roll I will use that, and if you don't and I think one is required, I'll make it. Either way is all good.

I'd like you to do 100% of mine, and just let me know the outcome of the action - I have no need for numbers, thanks!

And forgot to ask - did the mage have any Parma up? Were Ilmari's and/or... Marko's (I don't even know the mage's name - "I") - were either of their spells at all effective?

I believe the gentleman is just an ungifted redcap, and not a mage. Perhaps the one written about in the pre-story thread?

As for the OOC comments, I would prefer them stay out of the story thread as well. It makes for a lot easier reading. The emoticons are just another type of OOC comment, so unless your character is actually smiling like that in game, I don't see the need for them.

I apologize for getting a little ahead of the SG in game with my post. With everything Falls had written about a more open, everyone contributes game, I probably assumed a bit too much. On the other hand, with multiple other postings about how the group was already on it's way back to the Mercere house, I figured it could slide this time instead of making everyone edit all the posts. This is still a young game, and we are all trying to work out some of the kinks.

(For whatever reasons, that was my impression too - but I didn't want to assume since it wasn't specified.

If "I" were an ungifted redcap, one of the first things I'd get is a ward of magic resistance.)
(Right after something to keep me warm - what's this guy thinkin'?!) :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I feel that it would flow smoother if we used the Mad Max Method. OOC and narrative in black, speech in red. And the emoticons gotta stay. I am not the only one using them. This is "E"-speech, and emoticons are an essential part of the language of the internet.

I prefer to keep as much OOC stuff as possible in this thread, though of course use what you feel necessary. If you want to color code, you can do that as well. I probably won't.

As regards new threads, I'll start the council meeting stuff in earnest on Sunday. I was playing with my moderator powers and got a little trigger happy, which is why the odd order of posts (I wanted to create a new heading and put all the posts pertaining directly to the council meeting under it), but ah well. Happy weekend everyone!

That's a crock, and you know it.

It's like saying that 1337 is a valid style, r txt mssg'g, u no? Because all are used doesn't mean they gotta be used here.

If your mage showed up and announced "Hi - u wanna go 2 lab? u PWN lab w ur mad skilz!" - everyone would know what you mean, everyone would have seen that used before, and everyone would cringe. Emoticons are identical.

For me, I'm sorry, but I'm going to ignore anything that is not clearly "in character" - I can't accept a story where :laughing: or :imp: are replacements for verbal description. And I refuse to read a "contribution" to that story where the character seems to be saying "I go to the room with the others, and I have a question about my character's lab..."

(In Character, Ilmari must be having a problem with that strange accent of his - yeah, that's it!) :wink:

I know you have the skills, and that makes it worse - I find your lack of desire to use them rather insulting to all those who do, the SG and Players alike. When I see your posts, it's as if you're saying "U guys entertain me :smiley:, n I'll do a minimum 2 keep up in my own mind :stuck_out_tongue: , cuz I rly cant b bothered 2 put 4th any, u no, /effort/. :unamused: (HI MOM! I"M IN A GAME!!!) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: " Perhaps that's not what you intend, but that's exactly the impression you're communicating. And that doesn't cut it with me, not when everyone else is clearly making some small effort (if not much more) to tell a story that is (otherwise) enjoyable to read as a whole.

Edit -
Okay, I wrote the above before reading the recent posts - Marko, they are a HUGE improvement, THANK YOU!!!

:unamused:

Okay - you made the effort that I had not seen, I'm willing to recant and compromise, and accept any emoticon that the character would make or use - if it's "in character", it's kosher (or close enough for rock and roll).

And those posts are a huge improvement over some of the prev ones...

:wink:

If I want to make it permanent. The point was to buy some time to find out what is wrong. I will use my physician skills ( Medicine 2) to tend him.

No, you are thinking 4th ed. It is a Ritual now, and always needs vis

Great. Next thing you will tell me is there is no aura of reason anymore.

You can cast a non-ritual healing spell without vis, but at the end of the duration of the spell, the wounds re-open and the person is no better off. The spell Chirurgon's Healing Touch is a ritual, and requires vis to cast. You can cast a spontaneous non-ritual healing spell with a longer than momentary duration on it, for a temporary fix.

He doesn't (necessarily) want a Healing spell (altho' that would solve one problem) - he wants a +X to Recovery effect if there's a fear that the victim won't stabilize.

But he seems not to be as bad off as we had at first feared - ie, he's not dead yet, and getting better!

I was thinking of increasing his blood to warm him up ( 4 humors medicine) but the fur coat was just as easy.

But Marko and CH are both right. I was thinking of the 4th, 3rd edition spell and I just wanted a temp spell to stabilize him. I can get the vis if I can have him hold on for a bit.

Putting vis into a physical object is essentially a zero-time activity, so any vis he has he could well have on his person in the form of a ring of amulet or whatever, having taken care of that task on some single day in the last 8 years.

(It would make sense to as well - vis does little good sitting in a lab when the mage is not there.)

That would be fine with me if it’s what you want.

As Hound pointed out, I missed this:

I have created a new thread to comment on this rather than clutter the old one further by going back in time.

A Few Generic Comments:
A few things I’ve been meaning to remark on. They’re not targeted at anything or anyone specific, I just wanted to mention them.

If I miss something… I do miss things on occasion, and last week was particularly nuts. I will try not to do it often, but if I do, a gentle reminder here is fine and appreciated. This applies to other questions or comments as well, that’s what this thread is for.

Story threads: Don’t write yourself out of a story thread if you don’t want to be. If we’re at a juncture like this and a thread is going a direction that you really want to pursue, handwave yourself into it. In this case, don’t feel like you can’t be part of questioning the Redcap or investigating how he got here just because it would be slightly out of character. Find a fun way to write yourself into the thread you want. If you don’t have the skills for it, make it something that doesn’t involve skill (blind chance, a mistake, etc).

Corollary: If there’s no thread you want, put something else out and one just might spin off :wink:. I can’t promise this will always happen, but I will try. It is also far more likely to happen if you ask for it here first. :slight_smile:

Say yes: If another player’s character puts something out, find a way to include their offer rather than putting it down or suggesting something entirely different. You can direct it (“yes, but…”), but if we work together story threads improve and grow by leaps and bounds.

Thanks!

I know I got Apple out of step with everyone else. Sorry. I was working under the premise that he left the manor after everyone else found the Redcap.

I'm going to assume that he reached the Hotsprings first. Falls, if that's incorrect, let me know and I'll edit my post on the story thread accordingly. He's not racing, and I'm not concerned about getting there first in this case.