ooc

You see, my solution is far superior.

Kevin I regret nothing.

I regret you regretting nothing.

:slight_smile:

Don't worry if there's no one alive of the mundanes we're attacking then there's no one left to say we interfered with mundanes.

Hermetic rules-lawyering! "There are no mundanes left alive to lodge a complaint against the order, or to otherwise bring ruin to our sodales."

Precisely

Too late for words, from what I see. :laughing:

So people making plans are "losing their cool" and those casting spells are not ? wow that makes me grumpy already.

Whatever, now the group i'm suppose to put asleep has one of them on fire making any attemps to put asleep the other useless AND revealing the whole group as magical user.

I'll come back after new year to see if I can make sense of anything happening now If I post right now I'll just turn invisible and let natural selection on magus apply.

Something like that, I'm sure this will all be a disaster, though I"m confident we'll survive one way or another

Eh, I have a highly convenient Immunity. Now, if they were something dangerous like children with rocks...

I'm not overly worried about the seven men still alive. Between our 5 magi and 2 grogs, we can probably survive the encounter without too much damage.

No, what bothers my magus is that some have decided to use blatant magic on mundanes. It does not, per say, constitute a violation of the Code, but it still exposes us to an accusation of interference. Cornelius will have little choice but to report the incident. Whether a charge will actually be brought up against anyone is a different matter, of course, but it does leaves us with a vulnerability. He has no idea what the dynamics of the Tribunal are regarding that area of the Code.

He's a quaesitor. You, the player, may not know, but he probably knows that it is not a question of precedents only, but more a question of majorities at Tribunal.

Oh, I know that. It is more a question of my magus not knowing the body of rulings of this specific Tribunal concerning such matters. Each Tribunal can be more lenient or more severe regarding interference with mundanes. Essentially, the treshold for what constitutes a crime varies from Tribunal to Tribunal -- although that does not prevent a specific case from being ruled differently than that norm based on politics, of course.

We shall see. Still, Cornelius would have preferred not to have any of his new covenant-mates (and the covenant itself) exposed that way. :unamused:

Eh, it's "...and thereby bring ruin on my sodales." From what I recall, Tribunal rulings require that use of the exclusive 'and' - if there's no ruin to your sodales (ie, the Order), then it doesn't matter; otherwise, magi literally couldn't talk to anyone mundane, as any interaction can technically count as 'interference'.

Also, it's not like we're supposed to be secret, or anything - merely reserved and generally outside the normal political structure.

Finally - armed bands of men wandering around without official sanction tend not to like folks witnessing it when they murder someone. Sure, they could be operating legitimately; if that were the case, they'd have their lord's arms displayed. Seeing as they're all flailing around on the ground right now, we can probably figure out what's going on fairly quickly...and if necessary, bury them 8 feet deep. (Probably can be done with a /5 ReTe, I think.)

I do agree that throwing the pilum was a mite out there, though. :slight_smile:

Which is one reason why we are having these little encounters. If this had happened in the middle of Toulouse...

That's some good shit, Bastion definitely approves of Blasphemy.

OK, from what I recall, the whole point of being an initiate is to see if the cloistered life if for you - if it's not, then no harm, no foul. You just go back to your regular life. So TECHNICALLY you can't force someone to take a nun's vow.

However, nobles shipping off inconvenient relatives to become monk/nuns was definitely a thing - likely by money changing hands between said noble and someone in charge - in this case, likely the bishop. So, she's likely either a bastard daughter, or else for some reason not suited to marrying off to an appropriate individual, or the daughter of a previous/new marriage that the noble wants out of the way, or else this was the cheaper solution than a dowry. Or, she was sent away to the convent in order to keep her away from the knight she's currently travelling with.

As such, even in this age, I'm not sure if the Bishop actually has legal authority to keep someone in a convent - unless he is legally considered her guardian, and she hasn't reached the age of majority yet. In general, a noble/parent has the legal authority to tell someone what to do, but I dont' think they can actually (legally) force someone to become a monk/nun - they just make it incredibly difficult to NOT be a monk/nun.

Pralix, does that sound about right?

Kevin, this is what the canon law skill is for...

With my level in occitan I probably don't understand anything the mundane are saying so I refrain from speaking.

Good roll!
Canon law in my version MYTHIC Europe says that a young woman who has not yet proessed may leave the nunnery, but only when a time specified before the trial has passed, or if her family comes to an arrangement with the nunnery. You can't just have young noble girls run away whenever they want.
So, the spearmen have the law on their side. If the girl had waited for another year or so, she could have refused to take the vows, and would have been free. They are within their rights to take her back. She'll probably face some harsh punishment (water and bred, whipping), if you allow that to happen.

I've modeled that after a mevieval novel/romance I read last month. The setting wasScandinavian, but it seemed quite plausible.