Orion ex Merinita

Here is a character made entirely using a library of books as set forth in a "powerful" covenant. Nothing beyond that.

First Tribunal:

The first three spells were clearly common spells. The last two seemed reasonably common for Aegaea.

[size=150]Teaching Qualities[/size]

[tableborder][tr][th][left]Skill[/left][/th] [th][left]Invisible Castle Link[/left][/th] [th]Roll[/th] [th]Quality[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Romaic Greek[/td] [td]1d10=7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]17[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

Vis Gifts: 1d10=10, 1d10=1, 1d10=4, 1d10=1, 1d10=10, 1d10=2, 1d10=2 = 10 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 30 Aquam vis

Accumulated Personal Vis: 2 Cr/season = 56 Creo

Giving away half as gifts = 28 Cr, 15 Aq

Second Tribunal:

Again, I tried to go for what I thought were common spells. The only ones that might be slightly uncommon (and they're still from the core rules) are Aq spells, which seem like they'd be more common in Aegaea.

[size=150]Longevity Ritual[/size]

Orien designs a level 48 ritual
Costs 10 Cr vis

[tableborder][tr][th][left]Skill[/left][/th] [th][left]Invisible Castle Link[/left][/th] [th]Roll[/th] [th]Quality[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Teach[/td] [td]1d10=5[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]15[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[size=150]Aging Rolls[/size]

Simple Die + 4 (age) -2 (living conditions) -1 (faerie blood) -10 (assuming a magnitude 10 ritual) = SD - 9.
(Should the magnitude of the LR be different, I'll adjust the aging rolls accordingly.)

[tableborder][tr][th]Age[/th][th][left]Aging Roll[/left][/th] [th]Result[/th][/tr]
[tr][td][center]35[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-2[/td] [td][center]-2[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]36[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-5[/td] [td][center]-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]37[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-5[/td] [td][center]-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][tr][td][center]38[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-5[/td] [td][center]-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[td][center]39[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-4[/td] [td][center]-4[/center][/td] [/tr]

[tr][td][center]40[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-2[/td] [td][center]-2[/center][/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[size=150]Vis[/size]

Vis Gifts Received: 1d10=3, 1d10=7, 1d10=4, 1d10=10, 1d10=2, 1d10=5, 1d10=10 = 3 + 7 + 4 + 10 + 2 + 5 + 10 = 41 Aquam vis

Cost of LR: 10 Cr

Counting on giving away half of what he accumulates as gifts, Orien would have: 46 Cr and 36 Aq at the end of this period.

Third Tribunal:

Again, I tried to go for what I thought were common spells, almost all from the core book. The only one that wasn't core was Voice of the Bjornaer Magus, which has seemed pretty common in games I've been in.

Simple Die + 5 (age) -2 (living conditions) -1 (faerie blood) -10 (assuming a magnitude 10 ritual) = SD - 8.

[tableborder][tr][th]Age[/th][th][left]Aging Roll[/left][/th] [th]Result[/th][/tr]
[tr][td][center]41[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-6[/td] [td][center]-6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]42[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-4[/td] [td][center]-4[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]43[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-1[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]44[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-4[/td] [td][center]-4[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]45[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=-5[/td] [td][center]-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]46[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=1[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]47[/center][/td] [td]1d10-8=0[/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[size=150]Talisman[/size]

Ring of The Cyclopes [4/8 vis]
Brass ring with a drop of mercury encapsulated in a sphere of amber such that it looks like an eye.

Bonuses
+5 Muto (Mercury)
+3 Aquam (Mercury)
+3 Terram (Mercury)
+3 Corpus (Amber)

Instilled Power: Wall of Protecting Stone, Unlimited Uses +10 (CrTe 35)

Trade 10 Aq vis for 8 Vi vis to empower talisman.

[size=150]Familiar[/size]

LT: 50

Spend 10 Aq vis to bond with Familiar

Cords
Gold: +2
Silver: +1
Bronze: +3

Infusing powers costs 6 Me vis

[size=150]Vis[/size]

Vis Gifts Received: 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=4, 1d10=4, 1d10=6, 1d10=10, 1d10=6 = 2 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 6 + 10 + 6 = 33 Aquam vis

Accumulated Personal Vis: 1 Cr/season = 56 Creo

Cost for talisman: 8 Vi vis = 10 Aq vis
Cost for familiar: 10 Aq vis
Cost for infusing powers to familiar: 6 Me vis = 8 Aq vis

Counting on giving away half of what he accumulates as gifts, Orien would have: 72 Cr and 25 Aq at the end of this period.

Total Ending Vis: 72 Cr, 25 Aq

Fourth Tribunal:

Once more, I tried to go for what I thought were common spells, almost all from the core book. One two weren't: Quench the Raging Conflagration and Hauberk of Supreme Lightness, neither of which seemed too terribly uncommon. Please let me know if either of those are a problem.

[tr][td]Profession: Scribe[/td] [td]1d10=5[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]15[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

Age 48-50: Simple Die + 5 (age) -2 (living conditions) – 1 (faerie blood) -3 (bronze cord) -10 (LR) = SD – 10
Age 51-54: Simple Die + 6 (age) -2 (living conditions) – 1 (faerie blood) -3 (bronze cord) -10 (LR) = SD – 9

[tableborder][tr][th]Age[/th][th][left]Aging Roll[/left][/th] [th]Result[/th] [th][left]Notes[/left][/th][/tr]
[tr][td][center]48[/center][/td] [td]1d10-10=-8[/td] [td][center]-8[/center][/td] [td]-[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]49[/center][/td] [td]1d10-10=-7[/td] [td][center]-7[/center][/td] [td]-[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]50[/center][/td] [td]1d10-10=-4[/td] [td][center]-4[/center][/td] [td]-[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]51[/center][/td] [td]1d10-9=-8[/td] [td][center][/center][/td] [td]Doubled[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]51[/center][/td] [td]1d10=1[/td] [td][center]
[/center][/td] [td]Tripled[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]51[/center][/td] [td]1d10=5 = 5*3-9 = 15-9 = 6[/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td] [td]Apparent age goes up by one year[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]52[/center][/td] [td]1d10-9=0[/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td] [td]-[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]53[/center][/td] [td]1d10-9=-4[/td] [td][center]-4[/center][/td] [td]-[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]54[/center][/td] [td]1d10-9=1[/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td] [td]-[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[size=150]Vis[/size]

Vis Gifts Received: 1d10=4, 1d10=4, 1d10=4, 1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=7 = 4 + 4 + 4 + 6 + 5 + 9 + 7 = 39 Aquam vis

Counting on giving away half of what he accumulates as gifts, Orien would have the following ending vis.

Total Ending Vis: 80 Cr, 45 Aq

BTW, For 28 years, Orien has been giving out more vis in gifts than he has received. Might that give him some kind of reputation for generosity? He has received 143 vis as gifts over the years, and has given out 182 vis as gifts.

Okay, so I totally spaced on Mythic Blood (Poseidon). I totally forgot that I got a Minor Magical Focus and a Personality Flaw.

For the Flaw I'd like to take Proud. That seems reasonable for Poseidon. He might accept Zeus as his equal (and maybe Hades), but no other.

For the Minor Magical Focus, I was wondering if Fresh Water was too broad. Aquam covers all liquids, of which water is just the most common example. And being in the Agean, sea water is pretty common too. I also compared it to a focus with Wood, and it seems roughly comparable. What do the rest of you think?

BTW, such a focus also helps explain why Orien left Aegaea. All that sea water was nice. But he yearned to be near some fresh water. The spring and aqueduct was a great draw for him. :slight_smile:

FWIW, the core book lists "fresh water" as an example of Major Magical Focus.

The examples for Minor in Aquam are "stagnant water" and "small streams".

Oops, I didn't see that.

I was just hoping to get something that would have some applicability to at least one spell I have (or might have).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Open Ocean? Bays, straits...

As per the new rules this will need to be redone- whether you want to spend as much time post apprenticeship as before or not is up to you, and we will simply assume that a portion of the non-study time you had was setting up the covenant.

Just let me know what the book allowance is and I'll get you a character sheet lickety split. I know exactly what I want to do. It's just a matter of slapping down the numbers.

Just let me know what the book allowance is and I'll get you a character sheet lickety split. I know exactly what I want to do. It's just a matter of slapping down the numbers.

Like I have changed the post to, either 1 powerfull library or a different weak library after each tribunal.

Got it. I should have you something this afternoon.

Okay, here we go again, hopefully for the last time. Here is Orien at gauntlet. I swapped out some flaws in this version.

[size=150]Orion ex Merinita[/size]

Orion was born to a poor family in Greece who, while Christian, still paid heed to some of the old ways as well. When he was born, their new son had one brown eye and one that was milky white, a sure sign of blindness. This was taken by his parents as a sign from God – or the gods - that he was imperfect. And so they took him to an abandoned shrine to the old gods, where they abandoned him.

Fortunately, for the helpless baby, a nereid lived near the shrine and visited it regularly. She found the babe and, seeing his single working eye, took it as her own sign to bring the boy to her relatives, the Cyclopes. Seeing a kindred nature in the babe, the Cyclopes adopted him and raised him as one of their own, naming him Orion after one of the Titans.

Orion grew up learning a craft, as all of the Cyclopes were craftsmen. Blacksmithy was deemed too hard for a young boy. But he did have a knack for more intricate metalwork. Years passed as the boy grew up until he was nearly ten when a magus named Lucian of House Merinita visited the Cyclopes, looking to engage them to do a bit of smithing for him. He recognized the Gift in the boy, as well as his blood tie with the Cyclopes, and through them to their father Poseidon. Lucius asked if he could be granted leave to train Orion. The Cyclopes were sorry to see their adopted boy go, but knew that he would be better off with his own kind. They agreed to the magus’s offer and Orion entered into his apprenticeship at the covenant of Aegaea two years later at the next Tribunal.

His years with the Cyclopes had an effect on Orion however. His interest with metal and stone was reflected in his magical gifts. But so too was his blood connection with Poseidon, god of the sea. He learned to manipulate the elements of earth and water to bend them to his will. But his past also affected his personal life. Having been raised with the Greek gods, not the Christian one God, Orion became a strong follower of the old ways, not willing to bow his head to this new God that was working to displace the old gods.

Orien spent many a fine year in Aegaea following his gauntlet. But when the Tribunal granted him an apprentice of his own to train, he realized that the boy was not suited to a life among the waves. Reluctantly, Orien left Aegaea and joined a newly-formed covenant, where he was sure his new apprentice would be more comfortable.

This is Orion just out of gauntlet:

Characteristics: Int +3, Per -2, Pre 0, Com 0, Str +1, Sta +3, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 182 lbs
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 1 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)

[size=150]Virtues[/size]
The Gift (free)
Affinity with Creo (minor)
Affinity with Rego (minor)
Book Learner (minor)
Faerie Blood [Cyclops blood] (minor) (the closest I could find was Ettin blood)
Faerie Magic (free)
Harnessed Magic (minor)
Hermetic Magus (free)
Mythic Blood [Poseidon] (major)
Personal Vis Source [Creo] (minor)
Skilled Parens (minor)

[size=150]Flaws[/size]
Carefree (minor)
Deficient Form [Aurum] (major)
Disjointed Magic (minor)
Faerie Upbringing (minor)
Flawed Parma Magica [Aurum] (minor)
Magical Animal Companion [otter of virtue] (minor)
Missing Eye [blind in one eye since birth] (minor)
Pagan (major)

[size=150]Abilities[/size]
Area Lore: Islands of Thebes (locations) 1
Artes Liberales [Latin and Greek alphabets] (ritual magic) 2
Athletics (grace) 2
Awareness (alertness) 2
Bargain (books) 2
Brawl (dodge) 2
Charm (first impressions) 1
Code of Hermes (Tribunal procedures) 1
Concentration (maintaining spells) 1
Craft: Jewelry (rings) 2
Romaic Greek 5
Faerie Lore (water faeries) 2
Finesse (precision) 1
Guile (remembering deceptions) 1
Intrigue (gossip) 2
Latin (hermetic usage) 4
Magic Lore (creatures) 1
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 4
Order of Hermes Lore (tribunals) 1
Parma Magica (Aquam) 1
Philosophiae (ritual magic) 1
Swim (underwater maneuvering) 3

[size=150]Arts[/size]
Cr 10 (1)
In 0
Mu 0
Pe 6
Re 10 (1)
An 0
Aq 6
Au 0
Co 2
He 0
Ig 1
Im 0
Me 0
Te 5
Vi 0

[size=150]Innate Invocation[/size]
Lungs of the Fish (MuAq 20) (Gestures)

[size=150]Spells Known[/size]
Extended Sight of the Naiad (InAq 15) +4
Comfort of the Drenched Traveler (PeAq 5) +14
Poseidon’s Gift of Movement (ReAq 25) +19
Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +15
Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +8
Wizard's Leap (ReCo(An,He,Te)15) +10
Extended Lamp Without Flame (CrIg 15) +14
Touch of Warmth (CrIg 5) +14
Taste of the Spices and Herbs (MuIm 5) +8
Wizard’s Sidestep (MuIm10) +8
The Crystal Dart (Mu(Re)Te 10) +14
Unseen Arm (ReTe 5)
Hands of the Grasping Earth (ReTe 15) +19
Scales of the Magical Weight (InVi 5)
Sense the Nature of Vis (InVi 5)

Poseidon’s Gift of Movement
ReCo 25
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
The caster can move freely underwater at the speed of a fast fish – a maximum of about twenty-five miles an hour.
(Base 15, +2 Sun)

Touch of Warmth
CrIg 5
R: Touch D: Sun T: Ind.
Maintains the target at a warm temperature.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Extended Sight of the Naiad
InAq 15
R: Per D: Sun T: Vision.
The caster can see as clearly through water as you can see through air.
(Base 1, +2 Sun, +4 Vision)

[size=85]Edited because I somehow cut two spells off my list of spells. [/size]

A couple of notes on his advancement:

• I went with the option of one Powerful library (shown below).
  • I assumed four seasons of covenant work each Tribunal, over and above going to the Tribunal, setting up for the covenant, and doing things to get tokens.

Summae
Rego, Q20/L11
Creo, Q18/L13
Aquam, Q16/L15
Corpus, Q16/L15
Muto, Q16/L15
Terram, Q16/L15
Vim, Q16/L15
Animal, Q6/L21
Auram, Q6/L21
Corpus, Q6/L21
Herbam, Q6/L21
Ignem, Q6/L21
Imaginem, Q6/L21
Intellego, Q6/L21
Mentem, Q6/L21
Perdo, Q6/L21
Rego, Q6/L21

Magic Theory, Q8/L11
Faerie Lore, Q6/L17
Finesse, Q6/L17
Magic Theory, Q6/L17
Concentration, Q5/L20
Parma Magica, Q5/L20
Penetration, Q5/L20

Tracti
SM: Wizard's Leap, Q11
SM: Wizard's Sidestep, Q11

First Tribunal:

[tr][td]Romaic Greek[/td] [td]1d10=7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]17[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

Vis Gifts: 1d10=10, 1d10=1, 1d10=4, 1d10=1, 1d10=10, 1d10=2, 1d10=2 = 10 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 30 Aquam vis

Giving away half as gifts = 28 Cr, 15 Aq

[size=85]Edited to account for the fact that Orien needed to set up a lab. Oops. [/size] :blush:

Orien after first Tribunal:

[size=150]Abilities[/size]
Area Lore: Duchy of Athens (personalities) 1
Area Lore: Islands of Thebes (locations) 1 (5)
Artes Liberales [Latin and Greek alphabets] (ritual magic) 2
Athletics (grace) 2
Awareness (alertness) 2
Bargain (books) 2
Brawl (dodge) 2
Charm (first impressions) 1
Classical Greek (hermetic usage) 4
Code of Hermes (Tribunal procedures) 1
Concentration (maintaining spells) 1
Craft: Jewelry (rings) 2
Romaic Greek 5
Faerie Lore (water faeries) 2
Finesse (precision) 1
Guile (remembering deceptions) 1
Intrigue (gossip) 2
Latin (hermetic usage) 4
Magic Lore (creatures) 1
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 6 (13)
Order of Hermes Lore (tribunals) 1
Parma Magica (Aquam) 1
Philosophiae (ritual magic) 1
Swim (underwater maneuvering) 3

[size=150]Arts[/size]
Cr 13 (13)
In 0 (0)
Mu 5 (3)
Pe 8 (0)
Re 13 (7)
An 0 (0)
Aq 6 (0)
Au 6 (0)
Co 10 (2)
He 0 (0)
Ig 0 (0)
Im 6 (0)
Me 6 (0)
Te 7 (5)
Vi 5 (3)

[size=85]Edited to correct some math errors. [/size]

Romaic Greek:6 means classical Greek:4, which is good enough to read, but not write. So when you say scribe spells are you copying them or writing in Romaic Greek?

Does the requirement for having a 5 in the language apply to writing lab texts as well?

Also, would the ability:

Classical Greek (hermetic usage) 4

be enough to write books/copy texts?