Permanent Creo Rituals

Yes, this is exactly how we've thought for two decades.

1 Like

I like the explanation that there's risk associated with circle disturbance.

Could you please explain why you interpret healing spells as targeting the wound rather than the body?
It seems to me that they make the body a better version of itself.

Yes, that is always a risk with circles. It's just not much of a risk with a spell that is finished in a few seconds; it's a much bigger risk with a spell that finishes an hour or two later as there is more time over which the circle might be disturbed.

I don't. I accidentally quoted too much above. (I've trimmed what I quoted for clarity.) I view it as the person. That's why healing the whole is a new guideline as opposed to using Group or similar. Group for several people, other Bases for several wounds.

Hi,

wfm too

I assume you mean forever in the sense of +18, +21, +24....

Although you should be able to fix this temporary AC, like any other.

More generally, some things are self-sustaining, others are not, and others require proper conditions to endure. Images are not.

It's interesting that giving someone a personality trait is Cr, rather than Mu. If I want to make a brown dog black, that would be Mu because even though a dog can be black, this one is not. If I want to make a dog friendly +3, that's Creo, even though this dog is not friendly (though not unfriendly; I think Cr would have problems making an Unfriendly +1 dog Friendly).

If you can permanently create a magic shell, why not a magic 'taint'?

Though... can you create a permanent magic shell?

Anyway,

Ken

Yes. Clearly an aside. But since even +99 would be weaker than other guidelines that heal even faster and are guaranteed, then even that is within the realm of Creo instead of having to shift over to Muto. Of course, once you're in ritual territory, you probably want to go with a lower-level ritual that works better anyway.

I suppose you could use vis to make a real one, though a quickly fading one (thus still temporary). Then you could fix this in the lab.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about it similarity to light. You could make it real and watch it disappear immediately because it doesn't endure on its own.

Well, I don't think it's Cr rather than Mu, but it could be either. I'm also not saying every Personality Trait could be given. But in canon you can make someone braver, granting a Brave Personality Trait, via CrMe. Similarly, putting a thought/emotion that they want everything organized, are devoted to someone, etc. shouldn't be so different than putting thoughts/emotions into someone to make them braver.

As for the Unfriendly dog gaining Friendly, we know CrMe can take a stupid person and make that person smart permanently, changing negative Intelligence into positive Intelligence.

I'm not disagreeing with some of the oddity. I think lines are getting blurred.

Yes, permanent shells are in the core book: Shell of False Determinations and Shell of Opaque Mysteries. But these all use guidelines saying "Create a magical shell..." as opposed to "Taint something..." It's not "Create a taint on something..." nor "Create a shell of magic that taints something..." That's why I wonder which guidelines it matches up to better as far as permanence.

The guidlines specifically state "heal a [severity] wound" rather than "heal a person of [severity] wounds". The example spells of Chirurgeon's Healing Touch and Gentle Caress of Aesclepus also target individual wounds (the level 35 guideline is written differently as is incantation of the body made whole, the spell made from it).

You're confusing me. How is the level-35 guideline written differently? Meanwhile, Gentle Touch of the Purified Body has the person as the target.

Also, is an Aging Crisis the target of the CrCo spell to resolve it?

So, you would allow Base 30 to Heal Incapacitating an Wound (or less) at R: Touch, T: Circle to heal all wound on all people within the circle, just as though the Base 35 guideline had been used in that way?

I like your arguing callen! It's fun to read, though one might think it's from a crazed powergamer's point of view. (I know you just want to clarify the rules, so don't feel offended.)

IMS we just houseruled away those nasty abuses of target: circle by restricting circles to warding spells only (as I think was intended in RAW). However, on with the thread! :smiley:

Power-gamers tend to go by the rules, too, looking for loopholes and the like. The best way to fix loopholes is to be aware of exactly the same issues. This is why I have house rules stopping infinite Vis, low-Might familiar abuse, etc. Then players know they can use the things they might want to use while not being able to abuse them.

That's a fine house rule. I don't think it was RAI, though; certainly it is not exclusively used this way in canon. At quick count I see 9 spells in MoH that use Circle and aren't wards, and a few more that might or might not qualify as wards. I see 3 spells in TME. I expect I could find others.

I definitely wouldn't outlaw non-Ward Circle spells. There's too many interesting spells in that category

I think I'll just interpret/clarify Attribute-increasing Creo spells as "creating something" per ArM p113 and therefore requiring Target:Individual or Group.

That would be a house rule, not a clarification. Not an unreasonable house rule, but a house rule nonetheless. The guidelines specifically talking about increasing something that already exists.

Hi,

Infinite vis?

Anyway,

Ken

My 2cents exactly.

Doesn't work.

Yes, there are a bunch of methods, each with some restrictions. More methods are open with more Virtues, and some Virtues make them more efficient. The basic one is to adjust something like Conjuring the Magic Wolf (HP p.126-127) adjusted to T: Group to make 40 of them (they're Size -1 and you can make enough Individuals to reach the mass of 10 Size +1 Individuals, 50 might be possible) for a level-70 ritual, or 14 pawns of Animal vis. Use this along with a circular ward to contain them, a spell to kill them, and then gather the 160 pawns of Animal vis. Use 14 of those for the next ritual while pocketing the other 146 pawns. That will get you roughly 300 pawns a day.

Hi,

Ah, arbitrarily high amounts of vis. I'm aware of some of these.

I thought you might have found something that was actually infinite.(Hey, it could happen!)

Anyway,

Ken

Yes, limitless output of vis from a finite input of vis.

Something that blows up on its own? Hmm... Thinking...

Ah, I do have a way! But it requires a creature with Magic Might to have a very specific (or one of a few very specific) Ritual Power. It's not a way that's really available via planning unless you let players magically create creatures with whatever powers they choose via CrAn ritual magic. You need a creature that creates a duplicate of itself, though it will permanently lose some Might in the process. You make a ritual to create one of the creatures. You make an item to detect them, mind control them to use this power, kill them, and extract their vis. Then you cast the ritual once and just need to make sure there are places to put the vis as it comes pouring in.

Can I come up with something without getting to choose a creature power like that? Probably not, but I'll try to keep it in mind.

One argument in favour of being able to do it instantaneous (although I'll probably drop the idea for the "standard NPC") is that there are people who are "naturally" permanently tainted by magic - the Gift, obviously, but also Magical Air.

I feel the infernal taint of this method. What kind of aura would develop in a place where magical beasts are slaughtered regularly? It seems awful. How long before animalistic associations get to you? :slight_smile:

Also... that would usually yield animal Vis, or at least the same type of vis for each designed spell. That becomes less enticing. Sure, you can do a lot of things with 300 animal pawns, but...

I'm coming into this discussion late, so I'll post a few thoughts and things to think about:
It is possible to have a human at +3 to recovery rolls naturally: Rapid Convalescence trait. However, having +infinite to your healing rolls doesn't actually cause you to heal faster (as Wolverine) but instead just makes you succeed in the healing rolls every X time frame. Just like natural care in a medical professional's home would.
The healing bonuses I agree, should be viewed as restoring people to their ideal state, just like growing a plant or animal to full maturity. If you have a momentary Ritual to grow a tree to full maturity over a day, what happens?
My (admittedly brief) review of the spell guidelines didn't find 'create a personality trait' as a guideline, so I'm wondering if someone could reference for me where that spell is? Looking at the core book, which is all I have easy access to at work, the closest I can find is Rising Ire (p148) which says other personality traits can counteract the spell, rather than the reverse. (EDIT in post: There's the loyalty spell in Covenants, I think.)
The virtues and flaws do rather explicitly say they count as essential nature, so if you have someone with Poor Communication (-4) as a flaw, does that mean you cannot permanently increase that with magic?
Realms of Power Divine and Infernal explicitly state that some traits are opposite. Cowardly +3 and Brave -3 are effectively the same trait. Giving that person a +3 bravery would raise it to 0, or overwrite it to +3?

To be honest, the personality traits are actually the only thing I'm having problems with. I think the simplest, elegant way to view it would be that creating Loyalty +6 to Master, if permanent, isn't forced to stay that way. If you are a betrayer and a regularly sacrifice your grogs for science, the grogs' loyalty would very, very rapidly decay to distrust. The reason the loyalty spell in Covenants works is because its duration enforces it (like a duration on Perdo spell stops a hole from being filled)
And to be honest, I could say that any ritual effect on a person would qualify as 'powerful magic' whether or not it's over magnitude six. (p168 uses the term 'subjective').

1 Like

Hi,

Lots of variations of this, however. Get a group of people angry, summon the spirits of their anger, suck out their vis, rinse and repeat. That's Mentem vis, with no initial vis requirement. You can do this for any and all their emotions, for even more Mentem vis. And then get them angry again. Not all magical beasts have Animal vis; some dragons might have Ignem or other useful stuff. And you can use CrHe to extract He vis from vhomping villovs....

Anyway,

Ken