Post Apocalypse Ars (Dies Irae)

So has anyone played out one of the Dies Irae scenarios or set a Saga after one of the events>

Particularly interested in post second Titanomachy (Ragnarok, whether or not preceeded by Fimbulwinter) but I think a post Wormwood fall setting would be interesting too...

Lachie

I'm currently working towards something like one of these, but it will take decades of play time, and it's not the only iron in the fire. It's likely to never fully play out, but it gives me a background to motivate plots.

Of course, those meddling magi are likely to ruin everything!

I was in a playtest group so the versions I played may not match the final edit...

When I finally read the book, I noticed that the Muspelli in the Fimbulwinter scenario have very high Supernatural ability totals, totalling many hundreds of xp. I suspect they were given a special villain's boost or they found a massive aura aligned to their deities and summoned them for study every season until they were superpowered.

Hmmm, thanks for that. I was thinking more "alternate setting"... almost 9th world style actually.

Hmmm... my first thought reading this was post biblical apocalypse- the divine aura is gone, along with the righteous, and the Order is in a war with hell for the domination of what remains...

To me the Divine and the Infernal could be considered basically polarised versions of the same "sacred" Realm / aura and Magic derives from that as a "profane" source, then Faerie possibly derives again as human dependent. Maybe it's just me but I've always though of Faerie as the 4th Realm and really a special scenario created by humans out of the beliefs and stories with the complicity of the Divine Realm / tolerated by the God of Mythic Europe. It's a concept I developed while I was working on the Jinn for Cradle and the Crescent - there are angels and then there are jinn, the demons (Infernal jinn) are not fallen angels per se and the other jinn are manifestationjs of natural forces (Magic) or created by human stories in response to interactions with other jinn or as explanations for phenomena over time...

OK so back to your previously scheduled Apocalypse...

One of the post-apocalypse scenarios basically nerfs the Faerie Realm / aura in the mudane world and Magic becomes ascendant as the sole "profane" Realm (although Divine and Infernal become unchanged) and the Faeries flee into Arcadia. Sure there are minor Faeries around but they're extremely limited and the maximu Faerie aura is 3 / the Thresholds to Arcadia / Elysium / Eudokia are closed and the Faerie Gods are effectively trapped / lost so only very minor Faerie aligned magic.

The opposite scenario to post Ragnarok (Faerie subsumes Magic fully, trapping all the Titans forever in the Magic Realm and reducing the power of Magic aligned creatures significantly) is not detailed, although in some ways I wonder whether this is a potential natural evolution that the first Titanomachy where the Faerie Gods defeated the Titans (or equivalent) was heading towards - in that scenario Faerie magic and stories would reign supreme (although still affected by Divine / Infernal). Almost would result in a sort of Neverwhere like setting if taken through to modern times where the remnants of non-Divine or Infernal magic are dependent on Faerie gods. Or maybe Mythic Europe was like that with Faerie ascendant and magic weak post Titanomachy until the Divine started to rise in power?

Sure I could see a post Divine apocalypse Saga being just Divine and Infernal (with Faerie and Magic nerfed) but it would be a bit simplistic in terms of morality in some ways - I'm thinking like Gabriel or the setting for Constantine / Hellblazer.

Not sure about just losing the Divine though - it seems to be the source of Magic and Faerie as well as being intrinsically linked to the creation of the Infernal.

So if you lost that, maybe Magic and Faerie would also die or be significantly weakened?

From memory FFG's Midnight campaign would seem to be similar to a combination of your concept and post Ragnarok (Infernal nerfs Faerie instead of Magic), except the Divine/Dominion is very restricted and Magic is controlled or in the process of being subsumed / nerfed.... I'd suspect as Saga where the Infernal was the only Supernatural Realm unaffected would be pretty bleak actually even if all the magi had the False Gift or whatever....

This book sounds more interesting now. Maybe I should buy it. :wink: