Prelude of Brass: Plea of the Prince

Solomon's needs take priority, as he is one of the Masters (and Roberto doesn't really need the help).
As for transportation, Solomon has insisted on mundane camels, and taking the long way from Cairo. It is too late to build a flying ship or invent a spell for such. Seasons have already been allotted and spent.
I really want to point out the advisability of contacting the covenant of Pyramids. Opening a dialogue and requesting assistance, they can let us set up a forward base there from which to launch our expedition. They may also have useful information, though since they are on the way anyway we can pick that up from them even if we start from Cairo or Alexandria.
To do this, on of you has to go there. That, or send a Journeyman who is familiar with them and has been there once before and even got his flying carpet there. Winter is the open season for any such activity.

In Arachné's eyes, that's a job for a journeyman. An adventurous journey that could be done by grogs and companions... Save that it requires a magus to act as a diplomat and envoy.

Okay, so here’s where I think we are on the planning so far:

1. The expedition will begin by taking a ship to Cairo, then unloading and travelling via caravan, using camels or low flying magic carpets for those that have them, to the covenant of Pyramids. That will serve as the forward base for our expedition to the City of Brass. Selim will be leading the caravan/expedition across the Sahara.

2. We will use Vulcanus’ Instant Tower (or whatever it’s called since I can’t remember what thread that was in) for camping during the day (Selim recommends travelling after sundown when it is cooler).

3. Selim will be carrying Arcane Connections with him. This will allow Magi who don’t wish to make the grueling trek from Cairo to Pyramids to [i[Leap[/i] to the caravan once they arrive outside the covenant. Solomon plans to do this.

4. Solomon will remain at Andorra and scry on Selim routinely until they arrive near Pyramids. He will makes this very clear to all Magi travelling with the caravan to ensure they don’t get too near Selim if they don’t want to be scryed upon. In addition, Sophia, Selim’s familiar, will be flying with the caravan, and can relate messages telepathically back to Solomon as necessary. Selim will be able to speak with her (Animal Ken) to provide complete two-way communication.

5. Solomon is the overall leader of the expedition, but will defer to Vibria as Marshal (or Roberto if she wishes to delegate) for all issues related to combat, defense of the caravan, etc. Solomon knows his place and specialty, and is not egotistical enough to step outside what he knows.

Some issues that need to be decided upon:

1. Solomon agrees that we need to send someone to Pyramids to negotiate our ability to setup our forward base from there. His recommendation is Roberto due to his previous ties with the covenant. Selim will volunteer to travel with him because he really hates staying at the covenant for extended periods of time and he wants to get some practice experience with Area Lore: Sahara Desert. Selim could then head to Cairo and prepare for the expedition (hiring camels, purchasing supplies, etc) ahead of everyone else arriving there.

2. Determine who exactly is going on the expedition. I think we know for the most part, the question will be whether we want to invite any of the new journeymen. Fleur and Lucas both definitely have some proficiency with healing magic which could prove useful. Acutus is a pretty decent combatant, I’m just not sure I want to run that many characters in the expedition.

3. Decide whether we want to go with the group concept Marko proposed earlier. I’m not sure what the advantages or disadvantages are of going with that, since I’ve never really delved into the combat rules too much. For my part, I don’t see the need for me to run one. Solomon isn’t going to be engaging in any mundane combat, and wouldn’t be very useful if he did. He’ll have his shield grog to protect him, and Selim is more of a solo type of guy that I don’t really see wanting to be part of an organized fighting group. I think it would make since for Arnau to have his flamebrothers and for Roberto and/or Vibria leading the rest of the grogs. But like I said, I’m not an expert on what would be best.

I’m sure there are more things to think through, but that’s what I can think of right now.

I don't know if you have any need of a medic with your magical healing. But Bashir has a damn good Chirurgery ability and speaks Arabic. He's a non-combatant, though, and would only be able to serve as medic.

It is not just about combat. Indeed, though inspired by combat groups, combat is but a small fraction of the idea. The true essence is a metagame arrangement for the play-by-post environment. You control the actions and conversation of all the members of your group. It is intended to help move the story along in smooth fashion. For example, say one group is acting as a forward scout looking for a good camp site, and they encounter a genie of the wild. I can handle that exchange of conversation or whatever by dealing with just one player. That way, a little side encounter wont bog down everything by having to wait on several players to post and creating many multiple tangential posts.

Roberto would be glad to act as an ambassador to make arrangements with Pyramids. That will take up his winter, and so he won't be inventing the Camel Spell. No worries! There is a Bonisagus magus there that has been cranking out spells and inventions for years, designed to cope with the desert. Send Roberto with a purse, and he can buy what we need (lesser and charged items only).
So then, after the Casting of the Aegis and the Council Meeting of Winter Solstice (the start of the year), Roberto takes Selim and whomever else wants to go for a ride (and is able), off to visit the Great Pyramid of Egypt!

Adan (the failed monk) would be interesting in going to lands that are actually in the bible, and can spend his 2 free seasons studying the language in preparation, if the groups would have him along...

I'm not sure that Adan can offer anything to the group to justify him traveling with them. As far as I can tell he's a one-trick pony scribe who has a lot of theology. I'm not seeing how either of those things would be helpful for the expedition.

How do you feel about Bashir? He brings a great skill in medicine/chirurgery, some moderate people skills, knowledge of the local language, and even some knowledge of Islam, should that prove relevant.

true, but he is also borderline delusional, so he's going to at least ask...

I would definitely see Bashir as being useful, exactly based on what you said. I think it would make the most sense for him to stay behind at Pyramids though, doing triage for anyone hurt and sent back there for help.

Sounds like a good plan.

Then Bashir should come along with Roberto and Selim in Winter 1235 to visit them :slight_smile:

Definitely!

(He'd also be useful on the road, I suspect.)

Yep, that makes sense. How are they planning to travel there? Can they all fit on Roberto's flying carpet?

Just wait and see. I have a special trick. No women allowed though...

Argh, you're doing the flying boat thing, aren't you :imp:

Not necessarily. It is a small boat, and we do not have to take to the air. The guy I know that owns the ship has a "no wimmens allowed" policy.
That or the flying carpet, which is indeed big enough.

I'm not sure I trust a sailor that doesn't want to me around "wimmens" :stuck_out_tongue:

Fightmaster, Micaela will be aiding Solomon in Winter 1235 to instill a Personal Ward vs. Magic into his talisman. So, her exposure XP could be for Magic Theory, Rego or Vim.

Also, if no one else is going to request her assistance, Solomon would appreciate her help in Spring of 1234. If she's available then, she will be helping him invent a magic might stripping spell, Strip the Magic Away, at various different levels (ie. 3 versions of the spell at different levels). Her exposure XP would be Magic Theory, Perdo or Vim.

No one else has spoken up to claim her, so both seasons to Solomon is fine with me. It is his mission, after all.