Quercus Rector of Tytalus

The adventure has left me scared, so I spend the rest of the season practicing parma quite obsessively, and rise its value to 2.

If this is not possible, I will invest the points in Folk Ken and rise them to 2, representing my time around the covenant working with the local covenfolk and magi.

I will assume that the grog does not earn special XP from the adventure, and just put it in his regular stats. Extra XP in the adventure and downtime without getting XP during recovery.

Works for me.

Describe his stats as they were when your magus was Gauntleted, and I'll adjust them based on your activities before we start group play.

Ok, time to list the assets of Quercus for the trip towards Antwerp

Starting Assets
Quercus starts with the following assets under his control. He has them under the safeguard of a friendly merchant in Bruges, a major port city in Flanders since he does not want to carry all that around. He made some favors for the merchant, so they are in friendly terms.

Collaborative efforts in the lab: a defence of its value for the Order, by Boniface of Tytalus. Magic Theory Tractatus (Q10). A piece of art.
Registering vis sources, by Marco the Redcap. Code of Hermes Tractatus (Q8)
Underwater lights, by Nacre of Verditius. Aquam Tractatus (Q9)
The balance of the humors by Apromor of Flambeau. Corpus Summa (L6 Q7).

A stored lab at +0. Quercus does not have much use for this one since he is a peregrinator, so he has this one stored. He h

15 silver marks (10 Mythic Pounds) of silver or equivalent wealth.

To this, he can add the acquisitions from his time at Triamore:
The Underlying Principles of Thaumaturgical Perceptions, by Cataractus of Jerbiton, Intellego Summa (L9Q12)
Oak: a medium to shelter, travel and build by Quercus of Tytalus. Herbam Tractatus Q7

A perfectly functional lab, but not as well outfitted with expensive materials as it could be, so it is at -1.

8 seasons of access to Triamore (no library or lab access though: you need to pay 1 pawn/season for that). These must be used in the next 8 years. Triamore sucks as a place to use a lab, since the aura is really low (and we are really noobs) so I think we will make good use of these negootiating lab text copies

Alice, a new maid.

Sounds good?

Ok, here comes another story bit.

After completing his gauntlet (a moment where they defied house tytalus as a whole by simply walking in, saying that he had graduated without the need to prove it and that he did not need their approval for that), Quercus challenged Boniface with something not seen in their tribunal for decades: a covenant. The older tytalus agreed that this was quite a challenge for his old apprentice to bring forward, and contributed a few books of his own, but refused to let him copy a lot of the remaining texts that he had accumulated through the years. No challenge, no win. He also gave him a start in mundane resources as well as some introductory letters for friends of his, that sympathized with his ideas even if they were unwilling to put their support in a vocal way. Boniface also passed a letter through the redcap network about the desire to find a suitable location to "place a few labs, for experimentation" near a suitable vis source. Redcaps understand.

And then we end up in Triamore trying to secure an Aegis as the first step towards building a covenant.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean be Quercus challenging Boniface with a covenant.

As for the resources, they are too generous. I would cut them in half, probably removing at least one of the tractatus and the lab from the list, at a glance.

Ok, since I am not really aware of what we are expected to be bringing, I will leave it to you to describe the stuff we get. I am taking my -1 lab and my 2 books from Triamore to Bruges and there I will recover whatever I have in my contact's house before heading for Anvers. We already listed our preferences in another thread. I think this approach can be more productive.

Cheers,
Xavi

Basically the stuff you put there, except the lab and one of the book. I leave it up to you to decide which one to drop. I you want your own copy of the Analects (see Pyhteas' thread), you can have it as well.

I'm trying to balance things against what you were able to gather post-Gauntlet at Triamore, and what the other may be able to bring as well. I know I'm being hard on how little you have from the start. :frowning:

Quercus is just being polite and presenting the first challenge he decided for himself. Given the temperament of his father (and the fact that both are Hyppians) this is a tribute to him. I can easily see Boniface talking to the redcaps and imposing some extra challenges on the potential covenant site, like it being in a disputed frontier region like this case.

I will take my copy of the Analects. No extra info needed. I will find a usefulness for it. Is parchment a good fire starter?
However, the Analects are Mainstream Tytalus ideology. Maybe the hyppians use a book that is equally hated but not exactly the same? I will burn it (or something similar) anyway, but just in case :mrgreen: I am going for a book by Pralix in this point. If there was ever a Hyppian it is Pralix: create a new magic order. Talk about BIG! No direct challenge to make a magu's life miserable, but certainly an Order-shaking project!

I would gladly accept alternative names for my own tractatus, since the name SUCKS big time :laughing:

I am ready to meet this bunch of guys :slight_smile:

The Strength and Mystery of Oak or
Quercus in Promptu by Quercus (Oaks revealed in Latin but I'm not sure of the correct grammar)

The second one is cool, but it sounds like my autobiography :laughing: :laughing: it is the problem with chosing such an obvious name :unamused: Great suggestions! Since I am using all the names in plain English, I will go with the first one, thanks :slight_smile:

The Strength and Mystery of Oak by Quercus of Tytalus. Herbam Tractatus Q7. It has a thanks to Japik Dolphinus in the foreword. Triamore's copy of the same book has a way less appealing title.

I know but that would give the book an extra dimension in my opinion and Japik would think it's hilarious. :slight_smile:

I'm glad you liked my suggestions.

I'm tempted to make this a Q7 (or lower) tractatus in House Tytalus Lore. :laughing:

First, it's Hippian with an i, not a y.

And second, the philosophical difference between Hippians and Callicleans is on whether there are some laws of behavior (particularly decent behavior toward each other) that are part of the basic nature of mankind, or not, and what to do about them. Sure, Hippians might be slightly less inclined to just quarrel with their fellow men, but Callicleans don't consider that such quarrels are the only conflict worth having. As far as I know both philosophy use the Analects as a basis.

Now, if you made it a tractatus on an alternative way to raise a Tytalus apprentice, taking the place of the Book of Instructions, that would make a lot more sense. And it would indeed be a very minority opinion in the House.

from a practical POV, it is the same as the book of instructions. Yep. :slight_smile:

I updated the character in the first page to 28 years with all the associated XP and spells. He is ready to roll. 8)

Whatever you want. it is just a background rant. The same as with the other books, that are all authored by official ArM5 magi, or magi that we made up for this saga :slight_smile: I specially liked using Marko as an author :mrgreen:

In any case, if you make this a tractatus you should make the Analects a tractatus as well. :slight_smile: The book can be lower quality easily: it is commented by a multiplicity of authors, and I am sure that not all of them were good writers! Even if what they had to contribute is good enough for the instructor to have kept it in the book.

Xavi

Hey, don't you touch my Analects ! They have official stats in the books, and the ST already watered them down !
And, as I said, and it my be a background rant, but the Analects and the Book of Instructions are wholly separate books. The Book of Instructions was authored by Tytalus and is the official book on how to treat a Tytalus apprentice (which is to say with arbitrary rules and punishment that make no sense whatsoever). The Analects were collated by one of his filia who went to every Tytalus magus who had met the Founder to collect all they could recall of his philosophy (except Pralix, who wouldn't meet her) and put it all in one big gook.

Excerpts from the Book of Instructions (HoH:TL p.82)

Excerpts from the Analects (HoH:TL p.78-80)

See ? Wholly different books !

Ok, change the statement from "Analects" to "Book of Instructions". No biggie. And yes, they are different. :slight_smile: The statement stands, in any case.

I, too, see the Analects as different the basis of the global Tytalan philosophy, while The Hippian Way is more of a treatise on how the Hippian philosophy is superior to the Calliclean (sp?) one. There is probably an equivalent text that supports the opposite position.

I haven't asked, but which philosophy do Pytheas and Quercus adhere to? I know it's not always a clear-cut case for one or the other, but it may make for lively debate between them.

Quercus is a weird Hippian.

Pytheas is Hippian as well. Although he still believes in the Book of Instruction, which Quercus and his parens eschewed :slight_smile: