release schedule for RoP: M and RoP: F

Finally, I've ordered the book from Orc's Nest in London. :slight_smile: My preciousss. :stuck_out_tongue:

Eirik

Ah, I see. Thank you. As you're one of the authors, I realise that you can't say anything about the contents. I can only hope that you'll give consideration to the established canon and the ideas in the earlier editions of "Faeries".

You're welcome. :slight_smile: I do my best, but I must invoke my temporal parma and warn you that in order for Atlas to have enough time to prepare the books for printing and distribution, the authors usually have to be finished with their part before it is ever actually announced.

I liked the earlier editions of Faeries. They were good books, very inspirational. Also, Faerie Stories, which I thought was awesome. Core Fifth Edition changed faeries a bit from Fourth Edition, so a lot of it isn't as applicable any more, but I still run one adventure ("The Short Way Home") at conventions on occasion.

Good to hear. I enjoyed the Merinita entry in "Houses of Hermes: Mystery Cults".

"Faerie Stories" is probably my favourite adventure supplement for "Ars Magica". It has the delightful feel of Faerie rendered exceptionally well. I wish that "The Lion and the Lily" had made more direct references to the region of Brittany described in the sourcebook. For instance, the classification of any of the Vis sources more than sesiene (sp?) distance from the Covenant.

GRRRRRR!!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

My FLGS called to tell me they had my copy, but today I had to leave from work later so by the time I got there, they would have already been closed. I'll have to try to leave earlier tomorrow evening.

You've got my sympathy. I know the books have been in the warehouse for over two weeks but they still haven't yet showed up in my local store.

In my enthusiastic rush to place an order for the book, I missed the obvious, and failed to type in my address. So the shop e-mailed me today and asked me where to send it. So it got a day or so delayed. Doh! :blush: lol

Eirik

UPS says mine will be here tomorrow. I can't wait. Of course, after all the traffic regarding the Realm of Magic, I went home and read the final draft again, so I'm really just looking forward to seeing the art.

PS. Yes, I know I'm evil.

I concur. You are.

Hmm, that suggests mine will probably arrive tomorrow too. Cool! I've already added everything to the Virtues and Flaws index I maintain, now I just need the page numbers to finish it. And I am really anxious to see if there's any new pieces by Kelley Hensing in it.

I am reading my preciousss right now. Yum!

Erik, yes, I've seen at least one in the section on things of Virtue (page 126).

(there, now it is I who is evil!)

You'd be surprised. I don't know about Link and Snead, but I happen to maintain communication with people you would think are years out of touch, but they have actually been collecting the new material as fans.

And on the other hand, to Arwan, a lot of these new authors actually go way-way back. I have been trading snide comments with Timothy Fergusen on the Berklist for well over ten years now.

Virtues
p 43 - Atlantean Magic to Ferocity
p 44 - Focus Power to Imbued with the Spirit of Form
p 45 - Innoffensive to (Beings) to Magic Thing
p 46 - Magical Blood to Master of (Form) Creatures
p 47 - Personal Power to Voice of the (Land)

Flaws
p 47 - Anchored to the Land to Blatant Magical Air
p 48 - Bound to Magic to (Form) Monstrosity
p 49 - Hunger for (Form) Magic to Monstrous Blood
p 50 - Offensive to (Beings) to Warped Senses

Cool, I can't wait!

I think there's a little informal competition among a few of us as to who's going to get her work. Sounds like I lose this round, curses! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Fruny! I need to add Magic Qualities and Inferiorities, too. I should have the book today, though, so you don't have to worry about it-- unless you just want to show off how you have the book already! :stuck_out_tongue:

Not so much show off as prove that the book really is out so as to free you guys :wink: (so, you play Katamari Damacy, eh?)

Right now, I'm a bit overwhelmed: there's a lot of new crunch in that book. If anything, I'm going to have to tweak my players' covenant a bit (relative to tethers and all that) given that they have an aura of 7... then again, I did scare them last Spring equinox by dropping it to zero...

Anything in the book you'd like to draw my attention on?

Major Qualities
p 37 - Fatigue Mastery to Gigantic
p 38 - Greater Power to Improved (Characteristic)
p 39 - Magical Meditation to Natural Appearance
p 40 - No Fatigue to Vis Mastery

Minor Qualities
p 40 - (Form) Resistance to Improved Fatigue
p 41 - Improved Initiative to Personal Power

Major Inferiorities (they look quite harsh)
p 41 - Acclimation Prone to Miniature
p 42 - Monstrous Appearance to Temporary Might

Minor Inferiorities
p 42 - Limited Gestures to Susceptible to Deprivation (that's all of them).

There's another of her illustrations on page 40, smack into the Magic Qualities section.

(Robert Scott's illustration of a cat dipping into the tadpole-filled bowl labeled "Muto" is quite entertaining)

Well Fruny, could you share a bit of what's in there?

Are there any hermetic major virtues?

How do the dragon PC rules compare to those for a Nephilim, character with Heroic Blood, Devil Child, or other mythic companion?

Is there a philosophic structure for the ream of magic that is detailed?

Be glad to.

No, but a few minor ones:

• Atlantean magic - gives new R/D/T related to storms and water ways (i.e. if you want to cast a spell on the whole Mediteranean Sea, you can do it, although you may have to crank up the +Size magnitudes).
  • Extractor of (Form) Vis - Allows a magus to extract (Form) vis from appropriate auras.
  • Imbued with the Spirit of (Form) - Let's a magus spend Long-Term fatigue for (Form) vis (a bit similar to what Holy Magic allows).

There's a major flaw, though, Environmental Magic Condition: a major version of Deleterious Circumstances.

And of course, a number of General/Supernatural V/F, but I haven't really had time to read in detail.

First, I'd like to say that there is a lot of stuff on how to create magical beings, so I can't relate them for sure to the other rules. If anything the rules in RoP:M could well be used to extend the other creation rules.

Now, I'm going to have a look at the dragon character section and I'll tell you when I'm done reading it. :wink:

Yes. From what I've skimmed, it's the platonic realm of forms: magic is perfection (though things can be perfectly good or perfectly crappy). To quote one example, a magic wolf is better than a natural wolf at being a wolf and worse than a wolf at being anything else than a wolf. Magic relates to essential natures - a magic thing is closer to its essential nature than a mundane one, which explains why it cannot change them.

If you wanted the philosophical basis of the Realm of Magic (as in the pendant to Arcadia/Hell/Heaven), I'll have to spend more time reading.

I'm curious as to how a one can travel to the Magic Realm. Can you tell us a bit about that? What kind of place is it? :slight_smile:

Eirik (who wants his book)

Dragon characters follow the "Magic Character" creation rules, which allow for "weak" dragons (magus-level in average power saga: Might = 20 - Size = number of points to spend on Magic Qualities). "Classic" dragons are NPCs, and the dragonkind section comprises sample NPC dragons , some design notes and sidebars.

The handicap inherent to Magic beings is Acclimation: they start losing powers and Might unless they live in Magic auras/eat Vis/are subject to constant Magic effects.

Note that it is possible for a mundane being, including magi, to become magical.